This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NEA grants to dance - January 2022

34 minutes ago, Amy Reusch said:

Peanuts...   but at least widely distributed...  may it attract more substantial  support to these companies

Exactly. Long, long ago when I worked at NEH and we were threatened with major budget cuts, we concluded that small grants spread widely were the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" (for those old enough to remember those) which would help them fundraise with private donors - as opposed to giving just a few big grants, likely to groups already able to do a lot of successful fund-raising. Both Endowments have a long history of trying to encourage cost-sharing, private fundraising, and getting more people to "buy in" on the support of culture and never to think the government should or could be the only source of support, which it never has been. 

On 1/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, California said:

Exactly. Long, long ago when I worked at NEH and we were threatened with major budget cuts, we concluded that small grants spread widely were the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" (for those old enough to remember those) which would help them fundraise with private donors - as opposed to giving just a few big grants, likely to groups already able to do a lot of successful fund-raising. Both Endowments have a long history of trying to encourage cost-sharing, private fundraising, and getting more people to "buy in" on the support of culture and never to think the government should or could be the only source of support, which it never has been. 

I used to call it the USDA Stamp of Approval, but that's a distinction without a difference.  The idea that a company could use that relatively small grant to help call attention to their legitimacy and to leverage more donations from other sources is pretty well established.  I'm reading a history of the NEA dance program, and that point of view seems to have been a standard element in their work from the beginning.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, Amy Reusch said:

Peanuts...   but at least widely distributed...  may it attract more substantial  support to these companies

What looks like peanuts to NYCB or the Met can make all the difference to a smaller organization. Keep in mind too that grants are typically awarded in support of a specific project or initiative for which the applicant is expected to secure additional funding. The applicant has to provide the NEA with a detailed description of and budget for the project or initiative. Here are some sample grant narratives that the NEA provides as good examples of what they're looking for.

In 2022:  Grants to Dance = Total Dollar Amount: $2,315,000    

in 1974 (in 1974 dollars):  $3,942,327.  Page 24  

In 2022 dollars that 1974 total would be $22,294,699 according to this site.  https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1974?amount=3942327    

By contrast, in 1974 dollars, that 2022 total would  be $409,357.     

Peanuts by comparison, during a period when the government has been subsidizing private for profit business' pandemic losses.

[Also, I don't see how to get rid of that highlighting, it is unintentional]

NEA-Annual-Report-1974.pdf#page27

Grant-Announcement-DisciplineListReport-

Edited by Amy Reusch