This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, January 7

dirac

Christopher Wheeldon's "An American in Paris" will be performed live in Brisbane.

The musical has been several years in the making, already delayed by a pandemic that has devastated the arts industry over the past two years. 

For a dedicated cast and crew, it is a case of "the show must go on" — rehearsing inside a COVID-bubble at Queensland's Performing Arts Centre in Brisbane and submitting daily rapid antigen tests ahead of the opening performance tonight. 

The story behind a 1978 Arthur Elgort photograph of New York City Ballet's Nutcracker.

Arthur Elgort on Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, Nutcracker, New York City, 1978

“I started my career as a photographer at the Ballet, but there was just no money to be made here, so I turned to fashion photography.”

“I was not assigned to document the performance, however, the famous choreographer and co-founder of the New York Ballet, George Balanchine, instructed me to do so and was standing by my side when this photo was taken. A magical moment.”

An interview with Lourdes Lopez.

While Lopez works to embed MCB in the fabric of its home city, she is also busy inaugurating more firsts at the company. This February, MCB will stage Alexei Ratmansky’s “Swan Lake.” It is the first time the work will be performed in North America, the first time a production of “Swan Lake” will enter the MCB repertory, and the first time the company will dance in a full-length, three-act piece. “It’s pushing us artistically, but also administratively and financially…it’s just the greatest classical ballet, a jewel in the ballet crown,” Lopez said.

New York City Ballet postpones the opening of its winter season.

City Ballet is just one of many performing arts organizations in New York and across the country that have had their winter programming and crucially important reopening plans upended by the rapidly spreading omicron variant. As of Wednesday, the daily average number of positive cases in the United States was around 585,000, almost three-and-a-half times the daily average two weeks earlier.