This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2022: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

On 5/14/2022 at 5:08 PM, ppw said:

Ballet Sibeliu, Finnish Naitonal Ballet, New and Free

https://oopperabaletti.fi/en/stage24/sibelius-recording/

Do you know if it is geoblocked for certain parts of the world? The link took me to the announcement but when I failed to find a link to the actual performance I clicked on "info" and the performance window it seemed to be "greyed out." In any case I couldn't click on anything that worked to take me to anything other than background to the ballet.

(I have tried VPNs to get geoblocked performances and never had anything other than bad or confusing luck with them--theaters just identify the fact I'm using a VPN--so I've stopped trying.)

27 minutes ago, Drew said:

Do you know if it is geoblocked for certain parts of the world? The link took me to the announcement but when I failed to find a link to the actual performance I clicked on "info" and the performance window it seemed to be "greyed out." In any case I couldn't click on anything that worked to take me to anything other than background to the ballet.

I am not in Finland, and I was able to watch by clicking on the embedded video at the top of the page.

To double check, I set my VPN to the United States and was able to play the video. Could it be a browser issue?

2 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

I am not in Finland, and I was able to watch by clicking on the embedded video at the top of the page.

To double check, I set my VPN to the United States and was able to play the video. Could it be a browser issue?

:blushing:

Thank you. I thought I had done what you did, but just tried doing it again and the video started up. So, either I or my internet connection was not working properly earlier (both real possibilities but let's hope it was the latter). Unfortunately, it's too late to watch now, but in theory, yes, I should be able to see this! I'm glad they are leaving it up for a while....

SFB's World Ballet 2022 footage comes down in 5 days (Dec. 5th). It contains various rehearsal footage for the new season, including Wheeldon coaching Cinderella (there's a number of duet/solo variations included.) Download now.  😉

EDIT: Actually, December 1st is the last day!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22G7od_HWY

Edited by pherank

On 11/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, pherank said:

SFB's World Ballet 2022 footage comes down in 5 days (Dec. 5th). It contains various rehearsal footage for the new season, including Wheeldon coaching Cinderella (there's a number of duet/solo variations included.) Download now.  😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22G7od_HWY

Thanks Pherank and AG. The Wheeldon part starts at 15:20.

There’s a nice, airy quality to this staging imparted throughout by Christopher Wheeldon, starting with the performances of Sasha De Sola (Cinderella) about halfway through the 40 minutes devoted to the rehearsal (especially starting at 30:35). Wona Park and Dores Andre (Cinderellas) also have nice, similar qualities and Max Cauthorn (The Prince), towards the end, has a noteworthy grace that’s impressive for a male dancer.

6 hours ago, AG said:

It looks to me like the SFB World Ballet Day 2022 video expires today at 5pm Pacific (wish we had through the weekend, though!).

You are absolutely right, AG, and I've made an edit to my original message. It's a shame we've been given very little warning.

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Thanks Pherank and AG. The Wheeldon part starts at 15:20.

There’s a nice, airy quality to this staging imparted throughout by Christopher Wheeldon, starting with the performances of Sasha De Sola (Cinderella) about halfway through the 40 minutes devoted to the rehearsal (especially starting at 30:35). Wona Park and Dores Andre (Cinderellas) also have nice, similar qualities and Max Cauthorn (The Prince), towards the end, has a noteworthy grace that’s impressive for a male dancer.

AT SFB, Wheeldon's Cinderella is in some ways passing on to a younger generation, since former Cinderellas are no longer available (such as Sarah Van Patten and Frances Chung), or moving on to other roles. In the Giselle rehearsal Katherine Barkman (new to SFB) is fortunately getting some coaching time with Tomasson before he heads on out the door into retirement. Max Cauthorn has a lot of basic ability, but the funny thing is, he's no bun head. And often sounds like he'd rather be in a different career all together. SFB lost their other super talented up-and-comer, Benjamin Freemantle - he decided to go to New York with his long-time friend Madison Keesler and freelance rather than live the company life. That was a blow. And I wonder if Cauthorn will actually stick around. These young dancers look at life differently from former generations.

[In the Barkman rehearsal I confess my eye kept going to Jasmine Jimison dancing behind her in the room. Jimison is a lovely dancer.]

Edited by pherank

15 hours ago, pherank said:

In the Giselle rehearsal Katherine Barkman (new to SFB) is fortunately getting some coaching time with Tomasson before he heads on out the door into retirement. 

[In the Barkman rehearsal I confess my eye kept going to Jasmine Jimison dancing behind her in the room. Jimison is a lovely dancer.]

I’m enjoying the entire broadcast, Pherank. Thanks again.

I like them both, but I agree with you that Jasmine Jimison is very lovely. I also think that the other Giselle, Misa Kuranaga, has a charming personality.

Added: Although there’s lots of good still, with only about a half hour left I’d recommend  a look at the new generation....

1:08:28 - San Francisco Ballet School Trainees in Dana Genshaft's Future Paper

Then

46:10 - Katherine Barkman (and Jasmine Jimison) in Giselle, Act I Variation

Edited by Buddy

5 hours ago, Buddy said:

I’m enjoying the entire broadcast, Pherank. Thanks again.

I like them both, but I agree with you that Jasmine Jimison is very lovely. I also think that the other Giselle, Misa Kuranaga, has a charming personality.

Added: Although there’s lots of good still, with only about a half hour left I’d recommend  a look at the new generation....

1:08:28 - San Francisco Ballet School Trainees in Dana Genshaft's Future Paper

The team of Misa Kuranaga and Angelo Greco have become major fan favorites.

Dana Genshaft is an interesting case: She was born in Moscow and later trained at the Kirov Academy of Ballet, SAB, and Paris Opera Ballet School before coming to SFB. She was a long time soloist for SFB, before retiring and then becoming a teacher of Contemporary Dance at the SFB school. She is also a choreographer, and she won a choreography fellowship in 2018 from the Princess Grace Foundation. Former principal Sofiane Sylve was teaching advanced classes at the SFB school as well during her performance period, and former principal Pascal Molat is now Associate Director of the Trainee Program. So there has been a strong connection between the company and the school. Although I was hoping that Sofiane Sylve might be chosen as the new A.D., she has gone on to become A.D. of Ballet San Antonio, and director of their school.

Edited by pherank

Carmen

2 h 57 min 23.1.2023

Recording of Carmen with the Finnish National Ballet on 21 January 2023.

CHOREOGRAPHY Liam Scarlett
MUSIC Georges Bizet
MUSICAL ARRANGEMENT Martin Yates
CONDUCTOR Mikhail Agrest
SETS, COSTUMES Jon Bausor
LIGHTING DESIGN James Farncombe

Cast:
CARMEN Rebecca King, DON JOSÉ Frans Valkama, ESCAMILLO Tuukka Piitulainen, MICAËLA Iga Krata

Read more about Carmen

Available worldwide until 20 May 2023.

https://oopperabaletti.fi/en/stage24/carmen-ballet-recording/