This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, December 22

dirac

A profile of Boston Ballet's Chrystyn Fentroy.

Boston Ballet offered all that. “And I thought, I can take these values and carry them with me,” she said. When she moved to Boston, she didn’t realize that she would be the only Black woman, or that it had been so long since the last one. “And being different can be hard when you feel you don’t have anyone to express your concerns to or who will understand,” she said.

The National Ballet of Canada cancels its remaining Nutcrackers.

According to the National ballet, the cancelled due to breakthrough cases of COVID-19 within the company ranks.

“It is an incredibly difficult decision to cancel the remaining performances of The Nutcracker, for both the company and artists but also for our audiences as we know it is such a big part of many holiday traditions,” said Hughson. “However, our first and foremost priority has always been the health and safety of all and although this news is not unexpected, we are deeply saddened to have to cancel the beloved holiday favourite mid-run.”

An interview with Cincinnati Ballet's retiring artistic director, Victoria Morgan.

“I feel really hopeful. This art form is changing, it’s evolving, the technique is changing because of cross-training. [Now our instruction features] recreational, contemporary, hip-hop, some tap, we’re going to help fuel the changes in this art form of the next 10 years.”

Reviews of the English National Ballet's Nutcracker.

DanceTabs

The production is based on a narrative/concept by Wayne Eagling and Toer van Schayk with designs by the well-known Peter Farmer. They’ve changed what is normally The Land of Sweets into what feels like an unloved down-at-heal puppet theatre. Deeply unmagical and echoing a weak Christmas tree and transformation – buried at the back of the stage it only seemed to grow a couple of inches from where I was sitting. Another misjudgement is the Nutcracker doll – a walking robot given a cheap makeover; I can’t imagine any young girl really being pleased to get it as a gift. The narrative is also rather hampered by Clara having two men in her life – the Nutcracker come to life and Drosselmeyer’s Nephew who becomes the Prince for the big Sugar Plum number. What’s perplexing is that they interchange and share stage duties, though I guess it’s a dream and dreams are sometimes like that.

The Jewish Chronicle

Time and again my eye was drawn to Precious Adams, whose beautiful port de bras and expansive style make her a joy to watch. The character dances are performed with verve, and the costumes are delightful, while the rats who appear at the end of Act I look suitably scary …not too scary for my grandson though, who thought they, along with the giant glowing Christmas tree, were “the best bit”.

A review of the Sarasota Ballet by Marina Harss for DanceTabs.

Both casts gave clear, well-articulated performances. Everything about this staging is clean and crisp. The corps, made up of what look like quite young dancers, is well rehearsed and musical. It is a production the company can be proud of. With one caveat: Like the musical interpretation of the score by the Sarasota Orchestra under the baton of Jared Oaks, this is a rather polite Giselle, lacking in urgency and élan. Seldom does the music accelerate breathlessly to communicate the characters’ delight or distress, or linger to underscore a moment of tenderness.

Galina Samsova has died at age 84.

Performing Cinderella with the Canadian company at the 1963 Paris International Dance Festival, Galina Samsova was awarded the gold medal and Pavlova Prize as best female dancer, and she was invited to join London Festival Ballet (which later became English National Ballet) as principal in 1964.