This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Daniil Simkin is no longer listed as an ABT Principal Dancer

Simkin is no longer listed as a principal dancer on the ABT website.  I wonder if COVID-19 travel restrictions have made him leave New York and remain full-time in Europe.  

The roster is looking quite depleted these days. I hope Daniil can return as a guest artist.  

17 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Simkin is no longer listed as a principal dancer on the ABT website.  I wonder if COVID-19 travel restrictions have made him leave New York and remain full-time in Europe.  

The roster is looking quite depleted these days. I hope Daniil can return as a guest artist.  

Wow. I can understand it though, and I’m sure the travel restrictions at least played some part if not all of it. Even before Covid he wasn’t dancing with them more than a few Met appearances and with Lane gone, who was his most frequent partner, who would he be paired with anyway? It seems Brandt and Cornejo are the latest star partnership, and Trenary and Royal seem to be a thing too. Boylston in recent years only did Don Q with him. Of course, ABT could pair him with any of these women anyway, but maybe that wasn’t going to happen.

I saw this clip on Simkin’s IG this morning of he and Lane in Giselle. I wish I could transport myself back to that extraordinary performance:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXD49gqDksB/?utm_medium=copy_link

Slim pickins at ABT for bravura roles.  I would have seen Simkin in a heartbeat in Don Q.   I used to love Cornejo in Don Q, but he isn't in top form  anymore.  Good thing they are now down to 5 weeks at the Met. I'm not sure they have the staffing of principals to carry 8 consecutive weeks of shows.

22 minutes ago, abatt said:

Slim pickins at ABT for bravura roles.  I would have seen Simkin in a heartbeat in Don Q.   I used to love Cornejo in Don Q, but he isn't in top form  anymore.  Good thing they are now down to 5 weeks at the Met. I'm not sure they have the staffing of principals to carry 8 consecutive weeks of shows.

I would have seen Simkin in anything in a heartbeat! Frankly, I don't think they have the roster to carry even 5 weeks anymore. I am only interested in seeing Brandt, Hurlin, Bell & Forster. Maybe Trenary.

Earlier in the fall, Simkin posted what seemed like a week-long visit to New York City on IG-stories. No way to save that, unfortunately. At first I thought perhaps he's homesick and showing old pictures, but I started to wonder if he was in town to work with somebody like Ratmansky on something we might see at the Met next June. Did anybody else catch that?

He posts amazing rehearsal clips on his regular IG. Makes me really miss him! I'd go see anything he does if he guests with ABT. 

52 minutes ago, California said:

Earlier in the fall, Simkin posted what seemed like a week-long visit to New York City on IG-stories. No way to save that, unfortunately. At first I thought perhaps he's homesick and showing old pictures, but I started to wonder if he was in town to work with somebody like Ratmansky on something we might see at the Met next June. Did anybody else catch that?

He posts amazing rehearsal clips on his regular IG. Makes me really miss him! I'd go see anything he does if he guests with ABT. 

I saw those stories as well. He does a lot of work at the Guggenheim, and I think one or two of those stories were taken there. Maybe we'll hear an announcement of an upcoming gig there. Now that he's off the roster, I have to wonder if he didn't meet with McKenzie while he was at town to discuss his leaving.

I really hope he guest stars too and I could definitely see him doing Ali and Don Q - two signature roles of his. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Edited by ABT Fan

I found Simkin's archived bio page on the ABT website:  https://www.abt.org/people/daniil-simkin/

It says joined ABT 2008, Principal 2012-2020.  

Also, though the collaboration with Sarah Lane in "Giselle" was magical, she was not his only partner.  Simkin danced a lot with Natalia Osipova including "Coppelia", he danced "Don Q" with Isabella Boylston and I saw him dance Romeo to the Juliet of Misty Copeland.

So he's gone.  Let's hope he guests frequently.

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Also, though the collaboration with Sarah Lane in "Giselle" was magical, she was not his only partner.  Simkin danced a lot with Natalia Osipova including "Coppelia", he danced "Don Q" with Isabella Boylston and I saw him dance Romeo to the Juliet of Misty Copeland.

I believe he often danced with Boylston in other things as well. I'm fairly sure they did Swan Lake together on more than one occasion.