This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet: 2021 Nutcracker

I saw the two opening performances of the new production on Saturday, November 27, of the Colorado Ballet's Nutcracker and another Sunday night, from different vantage points in first tier and first row orchestra.

New Sets: There has been extensive publicity about the all-new sets and costumes. I especially liked the scrim at the beginning of both acts and at the end, with clever lighting to make details appear and quickly disappear.  The first act is the Victorian living room, as before, but fresher to those familiar with the older sets.  The tree is bigger and more effective. The sled is truly gorgeous. 

New costumes: A rich palette of vibrant colors throughout was welcome. A few surprises:

• Masks: The production uses a huge number of young children, as it always did. But the masks actually seemed appropriate elements in their costumes.  The angels had gold sparkly masks. The Polichinelles had bright red masks. Soldiers and Cavalry all had masks matching their costumes. It probably helped that the new costumes were designed in the midst of the pandemic, but I'm wondering why other companies aren't using this solution. Denver is doing well in taking COVID seriously and the differences elsewhere might have to do with city regulations. Denver Center for the Performing Arts uses the same restrictions as Lincoln Center for the audience, viz., proof of vaccination and indoor masking. All over 2 years must show a negative test if they are not eligible yet for vaccination. No masks on older children or adults on stage, although all are masked in rehearsals on social media. 
  • Chinese: This seems to be the most problematic for all companies. The one Chinese dancer had a bright red top and gray pants and hat. You wouldn't guess that this was Chinese if you didn't see it in the program. Okay, if that eliminates the criticism over cultural insensitivity.
  • Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier: Their costumes were a mix of wine, deep blue and some green. In an interview the designer said the wine was an allusion to the mother's dress in Act I, but it  seemed dark and puzzling. Dew Drop has a short pink tutu and the Nutcracker Prince is in white with gold trim, so the dark colors did make for a clear difference.

Performances: This is such a huge cast that I'll only single out a few of special note.

• Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier: 
    • Jennifer Grace and Mario Labrador: I saw both of their weekend performances, as I was eager to see the two new principals after an impressive Giselle in October. He has so much presence that he sometimes overshadows Grace, although their partnering was fine. No torch lifts, which I thought they might try given their Russian training and performance experience. His captivating and genuine smile seems to reflect his sheer joy in dancing. 
    • Dana Benton and Yosvani Ramos: The two long-time company members and veterans were satisfying, as always, with still-solid techniques. They have never tried a torch lift and I assume they never will. 
  • Clara and Nutcracker Prince: These are very substantial roles for adults, with plenty of interesting choreography and partnering in both acts.
    • Mackenzie Dessens and Jeremy Studinski: They substituted at the matinee (for unknown reasons). Very serviceable, although I might wish for more presence from both.
    • Jessica Payne and Bryce Lee:  Substitutions in the evening (again for unknown reasons) for Leah McFadden and Jonnathan Ramirez, one of the other new principals, someone I had hoped very much to see. Lee has been a corps member since 2015 and brings a commanding presence to all his roles, so this was a nice treat for him and for the audience.
  • Dew Drop: Melissa Zoebisch (matinee) and Jennifer Grace (evening) both knocked out four solid Italian fouettes and were captivating, lyrical presences. 
  • Russian: Kevin Gael Thomas and Sean Omandam are long-time company members who always knock this out of the park. Thomas' Revoltade 540 and Omandan's gymnastic walk-over and airborne split jumps never disappoint. 
  • Marzipan: Chris Moulton once again showed his great comedic presence, which we saw in 2020 in Cluedo before the shut-down.
Edited by California
5 hours ago, California said:
  •  
  • Clara and Nutcracker Prince: These are very substantial roles for adults, with plenty of interesting choreography and partnering in both acts.
    • Jessica Payne and Bryce Lee:  Substitutions in the evening (again for unknown reasons) for Leah McFadden and Jonnathan Ramirez, one of the other new principals, someone I had hoped very much to see. Lee has been a corps member since 2015 and brings a commanding presence to all his roles, so this was a nice treat for him and for the audience.
    •  

Being away from Denver, I miss seeing a Nutcracker in which Clara/Marie and the Prince have serious dancing roles. Most companies that have performed in DC, including the Washington Ballet, have used students in these roles, and the Miami City Ballet used children. In the version that the Joffrey Ballet used to bring to the Kennedy Center, the Prince only appeared in the battle scene and didn't accompany Clara to the Land of Sweets.