This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Digital seasons and pay per view, 2021-22

Thank you, @Roberta.  (I did the strikeout thing on my post and made the correction.) On the performance page, there wasn't a 1:1 between movement and choreographer, and I assumed that the order in which the choreographers were list on the page matched the order of the movements.

Edited to add: Falconer's  Instagram profile tags @usckaufman 

I had issues accessing Dance for Ukraine yesterday:  I tried multiple browsers and other streams, it it kept buffering during the Ukrainian national anthem.  I gave it another shot today, and it worked perfectly.  It would have been well worth it had it not been a fundraiser for such a good cause. 

They didn't mention in the announcement screen or the closing credits who sang and played piano in the Vivaldi (for McGregor's "Far").  A recording?  In any case, the singing was beautiful.  I just wished that the editor hadn't decided to get fancy while Nunez was dancing "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux": she was just lovely, and what a pleasure to see Cojocaru in the Neuemeier.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:57 PM, Helene said:

Thank you, @Roberta.  (I did the strikeout thing on my post and made the correction.) On the performance page, there wasn't a 1:1 between movement and choreographer, and I assumed that the order in which the choreographers were list on the page matched the order of the movements.

Edited to add: Falconer's  Instagram profile tags @usckaufman 

You're welcome, Helene! Oops...I did notice one other tiny item for correction. Arpino's Confetti uses Rossini's overture to Semiramide, not Cinderella. I realize that they're all in the same style - allegro/legato/then bursts building up to crescendi, then back to legato, etc. - so it's not hard to make the error.

But I'm back online not for this but, rather, to convey two happy notes:

1. Gerald Arpino 100th-b'day festival celebration will take place throughout 2023!  So for all who loved Confetti, there's more to come, from different U.S. ballet companies, throughout next year and even into 2024. I'm sure that this will include a number of streams. My planned travels include another visit to Chicago next October for the revival of Suite Saint Saens...just as I visited the Windy City last October for the exquisite Birthday Variations. Some information in this link:

GAF-Centennial-Announcement.pdf (arpinofoundation.org)

2. Upcoming Carolina Ballet livestream: As I mentioned in one of the above posts, Carolina Ballet (Raleigh, NC) is also offering livestreaming options this season. The next one is coming up this Friday, April 22 at 7:30pm eastern (but viewable for a few days after; cost $42) -  their SPRING TIDINGS mixed bill program, featuring:

In the Gray - company A.D. Zalman Raffael's ballet to Philip Glass' 1st Violin Concerto

Seven - World Premiere of Adriana Pierce's new work to music by the 19th-C French composer Cecile Chaminade

Nine by Twelve - Lynne Taylor-Corbett's ballet to Bach pieces

Just added:  Company founder Robert Weiss' Pavane (not sure if it's to Ravel, Faure or other)..SAB grad Mia Domini is among those being rehearsed, so maybe we'll see her in this?

In my experience, I've telephoned the box office (919) 719-0900 to purchase access, rather than to do it by email and write my credit card details (the only two options; no handy online form to order access).  So I phone them the old-fashioned way but rest assured that I've never had a problem. The quality of the films is exceptional; mixture of mid- and far-shot cameras. I get the link in my email a few hours before the show and can see it either live or through the weekend...most recently their lovely Snow White by Z. Raffael to a commissioned score by San Francisco Ballet's Shinji Eshima (of The Swimmer and RAkU fame).

Spring Tidings of Bach, Chaminade and Glass – Carolina Ballet

Edited by Roberta
typo
On 4/17/2022 at 3:17 PM, Helene said:

They didn't mention in the announcement screen or the closing credits who sang and played piano in the Vivaldi (for McGregor's "Far").  A recording?  In any case, the singing was beautiful. 

My best guess is Cecilia Bartoli. She recorded "Sposa son disprezzata" with György Fischer way back when. (I also enjoyed "Far" more than the pieces McGregor does for the Royal Ballet.)

I was finally able to watch Dance for Ukraine today, thankfully had no problems with the stream, and I'll definitely try to watch it again tomorrow. There's a great deal to admire.

The Dance for Ukraine stream on Marquee TV has been extended until May 2nd.

https://www.marquee.tv/danceforukraine

(And when I ckicked on the page, I found that the program was still accessible to me a week after my initial purchase.)

On 4/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, naomikage said:

A relief gala Dance for Ukraine, organized by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov is currently streaming on Marquee TV.

It is definitely worth the price and will be donation for a great cause. 

https://www.marquee.tv/danceforukraine

Aitor Arrieta, Alina Cojocaru, Alison McWhinney, Emma Hawes, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Fumi Kaneko, Ivan Putrov, Javier Torres

Junor Souza, Katja Khaniukova, Luca Acri, Marianela Nuñez, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Mathias Dingman

Mathieu Ganio, Mayara Magri, Miki Mizutani, Natalia Osipova, Rebecca Bassett-Graham, Reece Clarke

Salvatore de Simone, William Bracewell

This performance will be available from April 14th through April 24th.

All proceeds go to

Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC), Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

Until May 22nd, the Royal Ballet is streaming Crystal Pite's Flight Pattern, filmed in 2019. Proceeds from the stream are going to the Disasters Emergency Committee Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

This special stream of Flight Pattern is presented in support of Ukraine. We ask for a minimum donation of £7 to watch, but you are welcome to offer a larger donation. All net proceeds will go to the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

https://stream.roh.org.uk/packages/flight-pattern-2019-1/videos/flight-pattern-2019

Cross-posting from the Heads-Up thread.

The very last performance by the Kirov Academy of Ballet (Wash, DC) will be livestreamed tonight. This one appears to be all-classical; Part 1 Diverts (tribute to pedagogue Vladimir Djouloukhadze) and Part 2 suite from La Bayadere. Cost $30. Sorry that I was just told about this now. In time for the last show.  I paid and received my link for tonight.

Kirov Academy of Ballet Presents Spring Gala 2022 - Kirov Academy of Washington D.C. (kirovacademydc.org)

The Australian Ballet will livestream Alexei Ratmansky's production of Harlequinade on Friday, June 24th at 7:15 pm AEST. That translates to 5:15 am Eastern, but the stream will be available for 48 hours. Tickets are 25 AUD (about 17 USD).

https://australianballet.com.au/the-ballets/live-on-ballet-tv

Columbine: Benedicte Bemet

Harlequin: Brett Chynoweth

Pierette: Sharni Spencer

Pierrot: Callum Linnane

Cassandre: Steven Heathcote

Léandre: Timothy Coleman

Pierette's Partner: Jarryd Madden

Edited by volcanohunter