This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Digital seasons and pay per view, 2021-22

I'm a little slow to start this topic, but I would be grateful if members could share information about digital seasons and pay-per-view streams on this thread. We have threads about performances that stream free of charge, but pay-per-view streams don't fit in there, and information about digital seasons tends to get lost (for me) on the threads of individual companies. Please share and rescue me from my FOMO!

To start, Marquee TV is once again streaming New York City Ballet in The Nutcracker. This is the performance with Maria Kowroski, Tyler Angle and Megan Fairchild that was streamed a year ago. It costs $19.99 for a 48 hour rental through January 2nd.

https://www.marquee.tv/videos/new-york-city-ballet-nutcracker-2021

Edited by volcanohunter
6 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

To start, Marquee TV is once again streaming New York City Ballet in The Nutcracker. This is the performance with Maria Kowroski, Tyler Angle and Megan Fairchild that was streamed a year ago. It costs $19.99 for a 48 hour rental.

https://www.marquee.tv/videos/new-york-city-ballet-nutcracker-2021

Just to note my annoyance, as someone with an annual membership in Marquee, that I have to pay extra for the NYCB production. The subscription incudes two versions of Royal Ballet's Nutcracker and one from Australia Ballet. I assume NYCB required that, but still...

Medici.tv has numerous Nutcrackers (Royal, Zurich, Mariinsky, Bolshoi, Berlin, Amsterdam). It also has the 2011 NYCB, with Fairchild and deLuz - no extra charge!

All of Pacific Northwest Ballet's programs for the season, including Nutcracker, are available digitally for unlimited viewings for all but Nutcracker, for five days after the production closes, and for the Nutcracker, from December 20-28, during the run.  I don't know about Nutcracker, but, at least last year, the performances shown were taped from the final dress.  

There were four digital options:

• All full-season subscribers got the digital season included, and you could "attend" both.  (Some organizations, like Seattle Opera and Lyric Opera of Chicago, only send links to the digital performance if your ticket hasn't been scanned in the theater.)
  • There were partial subscriptions for the 2022 productions in person, with an optional digital add-on for the two Fall 2021 performances.
  • There was a full-season digital option
  • Each digital program can be purchased separately.
    • Nutcracker isn't included in subscriptions and must be purchased separately.

13 hours ago, Helene said:

All of Pacific Northwest Ballet's programs for the season, including Nutcracker, are available digitally for unlimited viewings for all but Nutcracker, for five days after the production closes, and for the Nutcracker, from December 20-28, during the run.  I don't know about Nutcracker, but, at least last year, the performances shown were taped from the final dress.  

There were four digital options:

• All full-season subscribers got the digital season included, and you could "attend" both.  (Some organizations, like Seattle Opera and Lyric Opera of Chicago, only send links to the digital performance if your ticket hasn't been scanned in the theater.)
  • There were partial subscriptions for the 2022 productions in person, with an optional digital add-on for the two Fall 2021 performances.
  • There was a full-season digital option
  • Each digital program can be purchased separately.
    • Nutcracker isn't included in subscriptions and must be purchased separately.

So far this season, the first two digital programs for Reps 1 and 2 have been recordings of opening nights.  As for Nutcracker, Peter Boal said the digital version would be a recording of the opening show (at Beyond Ballet post performance Q&A).

Medici.tv is running a Cyber Monday sale. Annual subscriptions (including gift cards) are $38.70. The pay-as-you-go plan is $3.22 per month.

Note that although the prices are marked as "first year, then USD $129/year afterwards," I was able to re-subscribe at the discounted rate. (I didn't renew when last year's discounted subscription ran out about a week ago, so that may be why I was able to re-subscribe now.)

It's a good deal at the discounted price if you're interested in streaming on ballet, opera, and concert performances on demand from an existing catalogue.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
On 11/29/2021 at 2:01 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Medici.tv is running a Cyber Monday sale. Annual subscriptions (including gift cards) are $38.70. The pay-as-you-go plan is $3.22 per month.

It's too bad Medici doesn't (apparently) have a Roku app. If so, I'd definitely subscribe at that price, at least to check it out for a year.

(Marquee has a Roku app, but it's terrible — almost not even worth the trouble.)

Edited by nanushka
20 minutes ago, nanushka said:

It's too bad Medici doesn't (apparently) have a Roku app.

Sigh. It's definitely the fly in the ointment. I consume most of my performing arts content on my tablet or computer but every now and then I'd like to watch something on my TV. It's possible to relay from computer/tablet to TV using Airplay or Chromecast, but it's not as straightforward as a TV app would be. 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:30 PM, volcanohunter said:

People may also be aware that the Paris Opera has a streaming platform where many broadcasts of recent years can be rented.

There are some interesting performances—e.g., Trisha Brown's O złozony / O composite and Balanchine's Le Palais de Cristal—that aren't that easy to find, either online or irl. It's also nice that the on-demand viewing window is 30 days. Thank's for the heads up!

The Royal Ballet will stream a performance of Giselle tomorrow, Friday, December 3rd, starting at 7:30 pm GMT. It will be available on demand until January 2nd.

The stream costs £16 to watch.

https://stream.roh.org.uk/packages/giselle/videos/giselle

ETA: The cast includes Yasmine Naghdi as Giselle, Matthew Ball as Albrecht, Luca Acri as Hilarion and Marianela Nuñez as Myrtha.

Edited by volcanohunter

The Frederick Ashton Foundation held a an event at the Royal Opera house last month to mark its tenth anniversary. The event opened with Ashton choreography danced by members of the company and was followed by a specially commissioned film using film from the archives. 

The first half of the event which is available on the Royal Opera House website until 21st December 2021 featured short excerpts from two of his ballets, Sylvia and Dante Sonata, which Anthony Russell Roberts in the late 190's declared irretrievably lost and longer sections from ballets on which the Foundation has worked. The Foundation's contribution to the rediscovery of Ashton's  ballets includes an excerpt from his 1932 work, Foyer de Danse, created for  Markova in which he also appeared and the revival of a gala piece he created for Fonteyn and Nureyev. Foyer was reconstructed from a film record which was painstakingly fitted to the music while the gala piece originally called Hamlet Prelude and is now called Hamlet and Ophelia was reconstructed by Wayne Eagling from his own memory and film. Ashton created the role of Hamlet on Eagling because Nureyev was not available and he then taught the role to Nureyev. 

The second half of the event was devoted to a film commissioned from Lynn Wake which is well worth watching . It can be accessed on the Frederick Ashton Foundation's website and does not seem to be subject to any time constraints. 

Last summer's 16th World Ballet Festival from Tokyo is being streamed on demand until January 10th. The cost is ¥6,420 for one program, or ¥12,420 for both. (Thanks to @naomikage for the tip.)

Program A
Flower Festival at Genzano
Hannah O'Neill, Mathias Heymann

Romeo and Juliet, balcony pas de deux (Lavrovsky)
Olga Smirnova, Vladimir Shklyarov

Persistent Persuasion (Neumeier)
Madoka Sugai, Alexandr Trusch

Onegin, mirror pas de deux
Dorothée Gilbert, Friedemann Vogel

Le Corsaire pas de deux
Ekaterina Krysanova, Kimin Kim

Onegin, final pas de deux
Elisa Badenes, Friedemann Vogel

The Dying Swan
Svetlana Zakharova

Raymonda pas de deux
Maria Alexandrova, Vladislav Lantratov

Program B
Grand Pas Classique
Madoka Sugai, Daniil Simkin

Still of King (Elo)
Marcelo Gomes

"Black Swan" pas de deux
Elisa Badenes, Vadim Muntagirov

Three Preludes (Stevenson)
Amandine Albisson, Mathieu Ganio

Le Corsaire pas de deux
Hannah O'Neill, Mathias Heymann

Les Chaises (Béjart)
Alessandra Ferri, Gil Roman

"I Got Rhythm" from Shall We Dance? (Neumeier)
Madoka Sugai, Alexandr Trusch

Don Quixote pas de deux
Ekaterina Krysanova, Kimin Kim

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/stages/2021/wbf-on-demand/top.html

The Dutch National Ballet will livestream The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, choreographed by Wayne Eagling and Toer van Schayk, on Friday, December 24 at 14:00 CET. (Admittedly, 8:00 am Eastern is not the most convenient start time.) The performance is scheduled to star Anna Tsygankova, Constantine Allen and James Stout, and the cost is €12.50.

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/dutch-national-ballet/2021-2022/nutcracker-and-mouse-king-livestream

Alternately, the same production performed by the Finnish National Ballet can be streamed on demand free of charge.
https://oopperabaletti.fi/en/stage24/the-nutcracker-and-the-mouse-king-recording/

PNB's Opening Night Nutcracker -- the Balanchine version -- is available to stream an unlimited number of times for $49 through December 28:

https://order.pnb.org/22-digital/nutcracker

I just watched it, and it was really fine.  The cast is:

Clara/Little Princess-Annalise Dautricourt, Fritz-Reed Benedict, Nephew/Little Prince-Justin Egen,

Sugarplum Fairy and Cavalier-Sarah-Gabrielle Ryan and Kyle Davis

Hot Chocolate-Leah Terada and Miles Pertl

Coffee-Noelani Pantastico

Tea-Christian Poppe (in the new Tea Beatle costume)

Candy Cane-Ryan Cardea

Marzipan-Leta Biasucci

Mother Ginger-Joshua Grant -- I especially loved the camera close-ups here

Dewdrop-Elle Macy, with head Flowers Amanda Morgan and Ceclia Iliesiu

and, as a Guest Artist, Herr Drosselmeier-former PNB Principal Dancer William Lin-Yee

All the kids performed in masks, as did conductor Emil de Cou and all the musicians who could. Kudos to concertmaster Michael Jinsoo Lim for his playing of the Act I violin solo.

Carolina Ballet (Raleigh, NC) also has live-streaming options. For example, their upcoming world-prem of company AD Zalman Raffael's Snow White will livestream on March 11 (unsure of cost but I bought access to their March 2021 livestream of Mozart Symphony 40 for about $35; great & clear stream):

Snow White – Carolina Ballet

Snow White will be livestreamed: Friday, March 11th.

You will have the option to watch the show live on Friday or if for any reason you are unable to tune in to the livestream, the link will remain active throughout the weekend so that you may watch it at your leisure. Snow White will be available viewing until Sunday night March 13, 2022 at midnight.

To purchase tickets for the livestream, contact the Box Office at boxoffice@carolinaballet.com or call us at 919-719-0900.

Ballet Arkansas also has a livestreaming option for performances this spring.

PERFORMANCES | Ballet Arkansas | 21|22 Season

I've just bought access to their late-April mixed bill consisting of a new 4-part Vivaldi Four Seasons - with each season choreographed by a different women - plus Arpino's brief but energetic Confetti. Cost $25 for a week of viewing. 

APRIL 21-24 |

Presented by the Stella Boyle Smith Trust, "The Four Seasons" features 4 breathtaking world premieres created by 4 of the world's most daring female choreographers, set to Vivaldi's epic score "The Four Seasons." Original works by Mariana Oliveira, Ashley Green, Xin Yin, and Maddy Falconer complement Gerald Arpino's classical master work, "Confetti," created for the Joffrey Ballet in 1970. To purchase tickets by phone and for all ticket inquiries, please contact Tututix at (855) 222-2849 or (435) 222-2849 Option 5. Please direct all additional ticket inquiries to tickets@balletarkansas.org.

Showtimes

April 21st | 7:30 pm

April 22nd |7:30 pm

April 23rd | 2:30 & 7:30 pm

April 24th | 2:30 pm 

About the digital option section -

Select t... you would like to purchase and proceed to checkout. The link will be sent directly to your email address!

Single Subscription | Four Seasons

$25.00

A relief gala Dance for Ukraine, organized by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov is currently streaming on Marquee TV.

It is definitely worth the price and will be donation for a great cause. 

https://www.marquee.tv/danceforukraine

Aitor Arrieta, Alina Cojocaru, Alison McWhinney, Emma Hawes, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Fumi Kaneko, Ivan Putrov, Javier Torres

Junor Souza, Katja Khaniukova, Luca Acri, Marianela Nuñez, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Mathias Dingman

Mathieu Ganio, Mayara Magri, Miki Mizutani, Natalia Osipova, Rebecca Bassett-Graham, Reece Clarke

Salvatore de Simone, William Bracewell

This performance will be available from April 14th through April 24th.

All proceeds go to

Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC), Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

12 minutes ago, naomikage said:

A relief gala Dance for Ukraine, organized by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov is currently streaming on Marquee TV.

It is definitely worth the price and will be donation for a great cause. 

https://www.marquee.tv/danceforukraine

Aitor Arrieta, Alina Cojocaru, Alison McWhinney, Emma Hawes, Fernando Carratalá Coloma, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Fumi Kaneko, Ivan Putrov, Javier Torres

Junor Souza, Katja Khaniukova, Luca Acri, Marianela Nuñez, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Mathias Dingman

Mathieu Ganio, Mayara Magri, Miki Mizutani, Natalia Osipova, Rebecca Bassett-Graham, Reece Clarke

Salvatore de Simone, William Bracewell

This performance will be available from April 14th through April 24th.

All proceeds go to

Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC), Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

It's difficult to find information about this, but once you purchase, you have unlimited viewing for only 48 hours, not the entire run through the 24th.

Interesting that in the UK it's 14.99 pounds and in the US $14.99. Mmmm...

The Ballet Arkansas double bill is terrific! The run is actually this weekend, moved up in the calendar by one week, to be able to utilize the Arkansas Symphony Orch for live music. The film is a recording of last Thursday's premiere (14 April 2022).

What a joy to see Arpino's CONFETTI once again; such a difficult piece to a Rossini overture. I didn't know quite what to expect of the Vivaldi FOUR SEASONS but it is a winner. I was floored by the musical inventiveness of each section.  Choreographers include:

Spring - Xin Jing

Summer - Maddy Falconer - the most typically classical, yet innovative

Fall - Mariana Oliveira

Winter - Ashley Green

Definitely worth the $25. Great group of dancers, musicians, choreographers. 

I scrolled to the bottom of the Ballet Arkansas Performances page, and found the link to the digital subscription.  (It's not an option within the page of the program itself, which confused me initially.)

You are right @Roberta: that was well worth $25.

I'd never seen Arpino's "Confetti," which opened the program.  (Music is Rossini's overture for "La Cenerentola".)  It was a lot of fun, especially the last part.

They were right to change the dates: first, because dancers deserve live music, and second, because the orchestra and soloists were wonderful.

The music is a tricky score to which to choreograph dance that isn't social dance to match the period: it's not really a momentum piece throughout,  and most of the choreographers struggled with that aspect, although I enjoyed parts, mostly the slow parts, within each piece, like the most solo man in Winter. For a lot, though, the dancers looked constricted.  The choreographer who hit the mark was Ashley Green, Maddy Falconer who choreographed "Summer."   Not only was the music most suited for performance dance, Green Falconer made the most of the slow music, and the piece breathed with life and legato to match.  I want all of the dancers in yellow to move here and dance here.  They were fantastic, and Green Falconer really gave them something in which to shine.