This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2021 Nutcracker

I can't believe I missed the press release in my Inbox (:blushing:),  Because of the formatting and news that was picked up by the Dance Edit newsletter from an article in the Queen Anne & Magnolia News -- McCaw Hall is in the Queen Anne neighborhood -- I'll break it into pieces.

Please note:

• There will be a digital stream from December 20-28.
  • Kids from the PNB School will be performing.

Part 1:

PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET PRESENTS

GEORGE BALANCHINE’S

THE NUTCRACKER® 

It’s Back, Live on Stage!

November 26 – December 28, 2021

Marion Oliver McCaw Hall

321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center

Seattle, WA 98109

Streaming Digitally December 20 – 28

SEATTLE, WA – After a long, unexpected hibernation, Pacific Northwest Ballet’s sparkling production of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® returns to the stage for live performances this holiday season. Featuring Tchaikovsky’s timeless score performed by the world famous PNB Orchestra, PNB Company dancers in show-stopping roles, bright young stars from the PNB School, unique-to-Seattle sets and costumes by Ian Falconer (creator of Olivia the Pig), and McCaw Hall’s lobbies decked out with the season’s best photo ops, PNB’s production is a holiday treasure for audiences young and old.

George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® runs for 37 performances, November 26 through December 28, 2021 at Seattle Center’s McCaw Hall. Tickets start at just $27. New this year, PNB is happy to offer a sensory-friendly matinee on December 21, designed to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for people with sensory-processing challenges to enjoy the performance. (See “2021 Performance Schedule,” below for details.) The Nutcracker will also stream digitally from December 20 through 28, for families and friends to watch from the comfort of home. Tickets for the digital access are $49. For tickets and additional information, contact the PNB Box Office at 206.441.2424, online at PNB.org, or in person at 301 Mercer St. (Be mindful of unauthorized online resellers: When purchasing tickets for PNB’s production of The Nutcracker, order directly through PNB for peace of mind.)

(emphasis mine)

While the music and choreography remain the same, audiences will notice a new character making its debut on stage in 2021: When Balanchine choreographed The Nutcracker in 1954, he sought to showcase a global array of cultures, some of which can now be viewed as cultural appropriation. With permission from the George Balanchine Trust, PNB has sought to revise the Chinese divertissement: Elements of racial stereotyping were removed prior to PNB’s 2015 premiere and now, working closely with Phil Chan (co-founder of Final Bow for Yellowface), PNB will be introducing the Green Tea Cricket in Act II. “Pet crickets are common and prized in Chinese culture, and Balanchine’s choreography seems wonderfully fitting for a high-flying cricket,” said PNB Artistic Director in his program notes. “We hope our audiences will welcome this charming new character.”

2021 NUTCRACKER PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

Day

Date

Times

Friday

Nov. 26

2:00 pm & 7:30pm

Saturday

Nov. 27

2:00 pm & 7:30 pm

Sunday

Nov. 28

12:30 pm & 5:30 pm

Friday

Dec. 3

7:30 pm

Saturday

Dec. 4

Sunday

Dec. 5

Thursday

Dec. 9

Friday

Dec. 10

7:30pm

Saturday

Dec. 11

Sunday

Dec. 12

Wednesday

Dec. 15

Thursday

Dec. 16

Friday

Dec. 17

Saturday

Dec. 18

Sunday

Dec. 19

Tuesday

Dec. 21

2:00 pm** & 7:30 pm

Wednesday

Dec. 22

Thursday

Dec. 23

Friday

Dec. 24

12:30 pm

Saturday

Dec. 25

No show, ho, ho, ho!

Sunday

Dec. 26

Monday

Dec. 27

Tuesday

Dec. 28

**Sensory-Friendly Performance                                                                                                         

PNB is happy to present an inclusive, sensory-friendly performance of The Nutcracker on Tuesday, December 21 at 2:00 pm. This matinee will feature a supportive environment to welcome children and adults affected by autism or with other sensory needs, so that they may share the experience of live ballet with friends and family. Modified lighting and sound levels, allowance of devices and fidgets, entry/exit privileges, trained staff, and designated quiet and activity areas will be offered at the performance.

TICKET INFORMATION & SPECIAL OFFERS 

Tickets to PNB’s live and/or digital performances may be purchased through the PNB Box Office:

·         Phone - 206.441.2424

·         In Person - 301 Mercer Street at Seattle Center

·         Online (24/7) - PNB.org

(Tickets are also available – subject to availability – 90 minutes prior to each performance at McCaw Hall. In-person ticket sales at the McCaw Hall Box Office are subject to day-of-show increases. Advance tickets through the PNB Box Office are strongly suggested for lowest prices and greatest availability.)

Tickets for the live performances of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® are $27 - $200 ($27 - $161 for children 14 and under. All ages require a ticket for admission, including babes-in-arms. For helpful hints and frequently asked questions about attending the ballet with children visit PNB.org/Community/PNB-Kids.) Some prices are subject to change.

Health & Safety: In accordance with King County regulations, PNB patrons 12 and older must be able to show proof that they are fully vaccinated at the time of their entry into the theatre and will also need photo ID upon entering McCaw Hall. All patrons must be masked. For details and more information, please visit PNB.org/Health.

The show must go on: Pacific Northwest Ballet is committed to honoring its performance calendar. Performances will not be cancelled for sleet, snow, or Seattle traffic. In the unlikely event that the status of a performance does change, an announcement will be posted on PNB.org.

Groups of ten or more may enjoy discounts up to 20% off regular prices: Contact Group Sales Manager Julie Jamieson at 206.441.2416 or JulieJ@PNB.org for ticketing assistance. (Discounts are not valid on lowest-priced tickets and may not be combined with other offers.)

Tickets for PNB’s digital-only presentation of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® are $49, and viewing access for the program is December 20 – 28. 

Don’t get fleeced for the holidays! Be mindful of unauthorized third-party online resellers when buying tickets for PNB’s production of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® (or any other “big ticket” item.) Order directly through PNB.org or 206.441.2424 for peace of mind.

Nutcracker Suites at McCaw

Skip the lines and bustle of the lobby at half-time! Treat you and yours to an enchanted intermission experience in the Nutcracker Suite, and take some stress out of intermission. The Nutcracker Suite adds ease to a memorable trip to the ballet, with a Nutcracker-inspired array of snacks, confections, and beverages. Nutcracker Suites are $35 per person (includes applicable tax and service charge); performance tickets sold separately. Subject to availability: Most Nutcracker Suites sell out in advance.

Nutcracker Gift Box

Amusements, the gift shop at McCaw Hall, has chosen some of our favorite, most popular items to bring the magic of PNB’s Nutcracker home. Contents include a nutcracker, a selection of ornaments, sweets and keepsakes wrapped in tissue paper and tulle. Boxes ($75) may be shipped, or picked up at McCaw Hall. To order, visit AmusementsGiftShop.com.

Casting is up for the first weekend -- six performances in total -- and the newly promoted dancers are featured among the casts, with Sarah-Gabrielle Ryan and Cecilia Iliesiu dancing Sugar Plum and Dew Drop, Elle Macy dancing Dew Drop, and Miles Pertl performing Herr Drosselmeier, among other roles.

https://www.pnb.org/nutcracker/?fbclid=IwAR1Im9FfQx5CqdkuQUkc2Oq91viWwXVJUqiCsdNHc7jMckkyprxJoXEm6Zs

William Lin-Yee returns as Drosselmeier in the opener this Friday at 12:30pm, and at the Sunday matinee at 12:30pm, Peter Boal will take on the role.

Here is a downloadable spreadsheet:

2021 Nutcracker 22 Nov 21.xlsx

I was so pleased to be at the performance this evening, especially because Ashton Edwards made their debut as an apprentice with the company, dancing Snow and Marzipan.  Honestly, it was remarkable because it wasn't remarkable.  They did a lovely job with both parts, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

5 hours ago, sandik said:

I was so pleased to be at the performance this evening, especially because Ashton Edwards made their debut as an apprentice with the company, dancing Snow and Marzipan.  Honestly, it was remarkable because it wasn't remarkable.  They did a lovely job with both parts, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

The level of talent and drive to be able to fit into the PNB corps so well after only, what, two years en pointe (one of them solo in lockdown)? The future holds great, great things.

How was Generosa’s sugar?  Refined (pun intended), I’m sure!  And are there new costumes for the Green Tea Cricket?

10 hours ago, sandik said:

Apparently PNB is just going to pretend that Ashton Edwards is a woman and cast him accordingly?  I honestly would like to know why anyone would find that laudable.  

4 hours ago, tutu said:

The level of talent and drive to be able to fit into the PNB corps so well after only, what, two years en pointe (one of them solo in lockdown)? The future holds great, great things.

How was Generosa’s sugar?  Refined (pun intended), I’m sure!  And are there new costumes for the Green Tea Cricket?

I've been to the last couple in-theater programs they've presented this year, but for obvious reasons the works were small ensembles, so it was easy to follow individuals.  Nutcracker has so many moving parts that it was almost kaleidoscopic -- between the numbers of people onstage and the 19th c details of the design I think a lot of people in the audience were overwhelmed with the experience.

Which makes the moments where we focus on one person even more important.  Generosa is often physically daring and quick, but she's been bringing more rhythmic play into her performances as she matures.  Her Sugar Plum feels like it's in the process of becoming -- she had some lovely "magical" moments last night, especially in the opening solo, where there's a lot of opportunity to play with timing.  She had the waftiness in her bourees there. so that she appears to float a bit.  The duet with Price Suddarth as Cavalier was sharper and more showy, as it often is -- the shoulder lifts towards the end were especially fine.  (it's been awhile since I thought of Suddarth's partnering, and it was great to see him in that job again last night)

There is indeed a new costume for the Cricket, with markings on the chest to resemble a carapace and a helmet-like headpiece with antennae (the women's costumes stay the same, as I remember them).  There are a couple small adjustments to the choreography (the cricket rubs his arms, as the actual bugs do to make their "song"), but the rest of the material is the same.  Alas, last night Mark Cuddihee didn't crouch down enough at the end of the variation when he's popped back into his box, and his antennae were caught in the top of the box.  I can only imagine his chagrin, especially after such an excellent performance.

As I said above, one of the things that really struck me about Edwards dancing was how well it fit in with the rest of the ensemble.  With the Covid restrictions, the company hasn't been able to run an open rehearsals or other opportunities for us to see dancers as they are working things out, so I don't know much of anything about their process, but the product on stage was just where you would want a gifted apprentice to be.

4 hours ago, On Pointe said:

Apparently PNB is just going to pretend that Ashton Edwards is a woman and cast him accordingly?  I honestly would like to know why anyone would find that laudable.  

No one is pretending anything.  Edwards has been training to dance roles on pointe, and PNB looked at them and thought they were good enough at that particular skill set to be cast. 

1 hour ago, sandik said:

No one is pretending anything.  Edwards has been training to dance roles on pointe, and PNB looked at them and thought they were good enough at that particular skill set to be cast. 

PNB could mount a new ballet for a male dancer on pointe.  But have any men ever been cast as Snowflakes or Marzipan before Edwards?  If not,  one could fairly call them women's roles.  So an opportunity in an extremely competitive field that should be for a woman goes instead to a man,  even though men are coddled and cosseted in ballet companies to an extraordinary degree.  How is that good (for women),  how is that progress?

22 minutes ago, Helene said:

If PNB were to mount a ballet for a man on point, that would be one less woman on point in it.

But it would be a new role.  A woman would not be displaced by it.  And one would hope that even though it is danced on pointe,  it's a man's role.  Casting Edwards in Snow and Marzipan is female impersonation.

19 hours ago, sandik said:

Generosa is often physically daring and quick, but she's been bringing more rhythmic play into her performances as she matures.  Her Sugar Plum feels like it's in the process of becoming -- she had some lovely "magical" moments last night, especially in the opening solo, where there's a lot of opportunity to play with timing.  She had the waftiness in her bourees there. so that she appears to float a bit.

What an exquisite description of what sounds like an exquisite performance!  Generosa’s Florine in Sleeping Beauty is a treat because of these same qualities, i think (fond memories of how she plays with the simple échappés to turn them into gorgeous wing unfurling), and I love how her quickness and daring technique give her such an ability to stretch and explore the musicality.  Her opening solo sounds divine.

6 minutes ago, Helene said:

Here's a photo of Christian Poppe in the new Green Tea Cricket costume:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4EQAjPYIH/

followed by two of the costume being constructed.

Can anyone familiar with the PNB version comment on the women's costumes? I was quite interested to see that their hairstyles/wigs are obviously & distinctly Manchu (is that new, too?), and other than the giant XI plastered on their fronts, it actually is a pretty reasonable interpretation of women's clothing in China c. the late 19th century that would also be appropriate for dancing Balanchine. 

On 12/3/2021 at 1:34 AM, Helene said:

I'm not sure.  Sadly. they're not doing the debut asterisks :( .  I suspect there are a few, but I can't be sure, especially since last-minute substitutions don't always make it to the website.

Well it looks like Amanda Morgan’s Dewdrop was a debut!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXFRtV2BRZv/?utm_medium=copy_link

Morgan’s Instagram post caption notes that this is the first year that Dewdrop in Balanchine’s Nutcracker has ever been allowed to wear flesh-colored tights — a watershed moment and a step forward.  

18 hours ago, tutu said:

Well it looks like Amanda Morgan’s Dewdrop was a debut!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXFRtV2BRZv/?utm_medium=copy_link

Morgan’s Instagram post caption notes that this is the first year that Dewdrop in Balanchine’s Nutcracker has ever been allowed to wear flesh-colored tights — a watershed moment and a step forward.  

I'd be all for flesh-colored tights if the colors were more flattering.  In every instance I've seen,  the shades are too dark.  For example,  in the photo of Amanda Morgan,  her legs look about two shades darker than her arms.  There's also the issue of visibility.  Dark tights and shoes,  in my opinion,  obscure the dancer's line.  There needs to be a lot more tinkering with materials and shades before flesh colors look good.  When white dancers wear light tights,  their natural skin tones come through and add dimensionality.  Dark tights on dark skin look flat.  Maybe the solution is to use tights that are a couple of shades lighter than the dancer's skin,  perhaps with some shimmer added.