This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, October 15

dirac

Reviews of the Royal Ballet in "The Dante Project."

The Evening Standard

McGregor is known for the strength of his collaborations, but The Dante Project shows what an expert casting agent he can also be. The stage is jam-packed with talent, with most of the Royal’s principals making an appearance, as well as up-and-coming names such as Joseph Sissens. (Deliciously, Fumi Kaneko, that most delicate of dancers, gets the chance to play a three-faced Satan.)

Bachtrack

It’s Inferno that draws the most exciting choreography, even though characterful episodes are not McGregor's natural home. We see a new, welcome style which cannot be explained simply by the more-obvious-than-usual fusing of contemporary and balletic elements. The sheer inventiveness often draws spontaneous applause, even chuckles. In The Selfish, four couples – dressed in grey-black unitards sprayed in chalk, which transfers between ‘sinners’ and erupts in clouds of dust during entrechats – are devilish sprites, the women bicycling their legs like tantrumming toddlers while their partners grip them round the waist.............

DanceTabs

Inferno, a 50 minute Act I followed by a 30 minute interval, takes up half the ballet. It’s diverting but incoherent. We have no idea what Watson’s Dante has learnt from the random selection of sins, no matter how superlatively danced. There is none of the grotesque imagery in Gustave Doré’s illustrations, and the only Christian iconography appears to be in a section called Stations of the Cross, with ten figures wreathed in smoke.

Ithaca Ballet returns to the stage.

The Ithaca Ballet is back for its first in-person performance since the pandemic. Under the artistic direction of Cindy Reid, it will open its 2021-22 season with a family-friendly production of "Peter and the Wolf and Carnival of the Animals" on Saturday, Oct. 23 and Sunday, Oct. 24 at 3 p.m. at Hamblin Hall, (the third floor of the Community School of Music and Art.)

An interview with Maria Kowroski.

The death of Kowroski’s mother, in 2005, ushered in a difficult period for her. She began questioning her place at City Ballet yet was unsure of whether — or where — to make a move. While still dancing with City Ballet, she joined Morphoses, Wheeldon’s newly formed company, and was revitalized. “It definitely reawakened something that I think was missing from inside for a few years,” she said. “Because it’s not easy to stay in a company for as long as I have. You have to keep reinventing yourself and new people are coming in and getting exposure and then you’re like, OK, am I in the past now?”