This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, October 8

dirac

An interview with Georgina Pazcoguin.

Asked whether she is worried that the book could blow up her career, she shakes her head emphatically. “I have always been an outsider, accepted but not really accepted because of my multicultural identity and the fact that I am an outspoken individual. I have always asked questions, and I can see, for an institution that just wants dancers to be silent and do what they’re told, how that can become really problematic. I feel like the potential to torpedo my career was always there.”

A review of "No Fixed Points. Dance in the 20th Century" by George Jackson for danceviewtimes.com.

This book hits readers like a space rock, all 907 pages of it. Its authors, Nancy Reynolds and the late Malcolm McCormack (1927 - 2018) were dancers and have proven themselves to be scholars. My only real objection to the current edition is the difficulty of holding such a thick book in one's hands or even resting it in one's lap. It should have been issued in two or even three volumes. 

A preview of American Ballet Theatre, with video.

La Follia Variations, set for its World Premiere on Tuesday, February 9, is Lovette's second work for ABT Studio Company following Le Jeune in 2017. "The progression of steps is one of my favorites among the classical ballet style," said Lovette. "These dancers give me hope for the future of dance, and this piece of choreography is a celebration of that hope."