This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, September 30

dirac

Updates on the sexual abuse lawsuit involving Taylor and Dusty Button.

An expanded lawsuit filed last week in US District Court in Nevada includes three new plaintiffs — one, an area dancer, who is identified in court filings only as Jane Doe 100, was a minor at the time of the alleged sexual abuse. In the original lawsuit filed in July, Boston Ballet dancer Sage Humphries came forward claiming the couple “manipulated and brutalized” her. Another dancer in the lawsuit, Gina Menichino, claimed Taylor Button “groomed and abused” her at age 13 when he was her 25-year-old dance instructor in Florida, according to the court filing.

Related.

After Taylor Button moved to dismiss the lawsuit and denied the allegations in court filings, an updated complaint filed with the court last week named both Dusty Button and her husband as defendants in the abuse.

Q&A with Esteban Cortázar about designing costumes for the New York City Ballet.

What was your inspiration for the costumes?

What was very clear from the very beginning was that this was a piece about finding our light within, finding the light external to us, bringing optimism to the world, and bringing color to the world. The words “heat” and “lightness” kept coming up. I knew that I wanted to create something that felt very weightless, that moved in very fluid and organic ways, echoing the dancers’ movements. I didn’t want anything too restrictive or overpowered or over-decorated. I wanted something that felt almost like a second skin, and then I could tell a beautiful color story through it.

The Charlotte Ballet returns to live performance. TV news segment.

It’s been a long 18 months for Juan Castellanos and Meredith Hwang. These dancers have both have been waiting all pandemic to be in front of a live Charlotte audience. They finally get to next week, when the Charlotte Ballet returns to the stage. It’ll be a celebration of being able to make it, not just the last 18 months, but 50 years.