This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Discussion NYT Reviews New York City Ballet 2021 Season

That might be the most scathing review of an NYCB program I've read, at least in the NYT. Maybe the company should stick to hiring choreographers with more ballet experience.

I wish reviewers would move on from the Ramasar drama already. 

4 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

That might be the most scathing review of an NYCB program I've read, at least in the NYT. Maybe the company should stick to hiring choreographers with more ballet experience.

I wish reviewers would move on from the Ramasar drama already. 

So agree about Ramasar. I don't see the need to bring that up. I don't find it jarring to see him onstage, and don't want a rehash of that whole situation. As far as the rest of the review, it seems the evening is what I'd expect.  At some point TPTB decided that it would be a good move to have a gala that merged the fashion and dance worlds, and the "fashion gala" was born. It's a money move IMO, and that's not criticism. I don't think anyone ever expected great art to emerge from pairing choreographers with fashion designers. It's not that great art couldn't happen but the odds are against it. 

I thought the new works were interesting departures, and they showed the strength and versatility of NYCB dancers (Taylor Stanley and Sara Mearns in particular).  It was great to see them on a program with Western Symphony, showing off the range of this company. I don’t put much stock in what Gia Kourlas has to say about ballet, wish the NYT had a dance critic with more depth.