This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT - Nutcracker at Segerstrom 2021

On 9/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, ABT Fan said:

Casting has been announced.

Brandt, Teuscher and Hurlin get debuts as Clara. Teuscher is an unlikely choice imo. Full circle for Hurlin, pretty cool in fact. Surprised that Trenary isn't included, but maybe she has other holiday plans. No Copeland.

https://www.abt.org/performances/the-nutcracker/

So wish I could see this!  I remember Catherine Hurlin as a young Clara.  Enjoy, California!

Some small casting details for the Segerstrom Nutcracker. Seo and Stearns were originally cast for opening night (Dec 10). Now it's Boylston-Whitehead and they say on Instagram that this is a late substitution. Meanwhile, Brandt is shown rehearsing with Stearn on the Segerstrom stage on her Instagram stories. So I wonder if Seo can't perform for whatever reason and Brandt will  sub on the matinee on the 18th. I'm travelling to see the second weekend (mainly because I wanted to see Bell with Hurlin and Shevchenko). Being able to see Brandt, too, would be a real treat.

Another interesting change: Originally Shevchenko was scheduled with Forster on the 17th. Now moved to 18th with Bell. No Forster on the schedule now. 

I never saw this version on the east coast and normally avoid Nutcrackers. But I did see this version at Segerstrom in 2015 and found it really interesting, so I thought it was worth another visit now that the company is performing again. 

PS. Still eager to see their June Met schedule. Perhaps in January?

Edited by California
5 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

Hurlin is still scheduled to do two shows with Bell, but it looks like he is also replacing Forster for Shevchenko’s shows.

Shevchenko said earlier today on her Instagram story that Forster is unable to dance with her.  Now she has some rehearsal clips with Bell.

1 hour ago, California said:

Shevchenko said earlier today on her Instagram story that Forster is unable to dance with her.  Now she has some rehearsal clips with Bell.

On Facebook, a clip with Bell and her comment: "Diving into the magical role of Clara tonight at 7 pm with @aran_bell 💃🏻. Sadly my original partner @thomasforster22 isn’t able to perform, sending you good vibes!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWhB2Wj0Vv/

I just came from the 12:30 matinee at Segerstrom and saw the fall by James Whiteside.  I hope we'll learn more about his injury from public-facing social media or the local press, but here's what I saw:

Near the beginning of the Act II Grand Pas, he was moving on the diagonal to the back of the stage with a jump landed on one leg. He fell forward, face down, head toward the audience. I could not see any movement at all, not a hint that he was trying to get up. I don't know if he hit his head and was unconscious or just couldn't move for whatever reason.

Boylston watched from the corner for just a few seconds, then walked over to him and knelt down. Then the curtain came down. Silence for several minutes. Then an announcer came on and said the orchestra would play the music for the Grand Pas. They only did the first section. More silence. Then somebody seemed to be calling to the conductor to finish all the music for the Grand Pas, which they did. Then more silence.

Finally, the announcer said "Mr. Whiteside sustained an injury that makes it impossible for him to complete the ballet" (I think that's a close paraphrase, if not the exact words) and then said Joo Won Ahn would complete the ballet. (He had performed it Thursday night with Devon Teuscher.) The curtain went up on the marriage proposal bit. There wasn't much dancing for Ahn and Boylston at that point, but they did finish the ballet.

I've seen some bad falls by great dancers over the years, but never one that seemed so scary. If others see public media, please post for all of us.

EDITED TO ADD: I follow Boylston and Whitehead on Instagram. Nothing posted yet, but several comments from fans who were in the audience asking for a status report.

Edited by California

You can't link to Instagram stories, because they intentionally disappear after a fixed time period, but you can view it by clicking on the circular photo of her on her Instagram page, if you get there before the story expires:

https://www.instagram.com/katieboren1/

It's the last section, and it goes away quickly.

Edited to add:  but she does describe that Joo Won Ahn, who danced the rest of the performance, had to come from the hotel.

Today Whiteside posted this photo and caption:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXtzygtPdmv/

I seriously injured my knee during yesterday’s performance of “The Nutcracker.” I’m so grateful for the outpouring of support from friends, family, and dance lovers. I’ll be on the road to recovery soon and in the immortal words of Cher, “You haven’t seen the last of me.” ❤️🩹
-
I’m flying back to NYC today and my injury will be assessed and treated just in time for Santa to bring me a new knee. 🎅 I will keep my socials updated during my journey back to full strength. 🍗 Thank you all for the love. 🥰
-
Sending hugs to my @abtofficial fam for being so amazing yesterday. I love you all! ❤️ and to @isabellaboylston for being the best Cindy and partner a Cracked Nut could hope for.