This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky 2021-2022 Season

3 hours ago, duffster said:

Thank you, Buddy for posting these videos.  Kosharova, starting with her entrance, shows a charming confidence and has alot of strength in her lower body without showing any strain in her arms and shoulders. What I enjoy about these dancers is their beautiful epaulement, and attention to detail in their footwork and overall their lack of nervousness in their approach. All very gifted but each having their own  individuality.

Thanks for your comments and insights, Duffster.

I guess that I take things like  Epaulement and Port de Bras for granted by now with the Mariinsky and other similar companies. The quality is so high. I singled out  these several dancers as being even more special. I might add once again another personal young favorite, Anastasia Plotnikova.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHK8H181cr4

It has to do with training, for sure, but it’s also ingrained in the culture.

Other companies in the world have other strong points, drama in the UK, energy and naturalness in the US, for instance. All have fine ability, but with companies such as the Mariinsky fineness and aura seem like the air that they breathe.

I’d like to mention another Mariinsky dancer once more. She’s Renata Shakirova. I always say that I like sunshiny dancers and I always include her. Recently she quite surprised me by adding a depth of character in a La Bayadere performance that I’ve never seen from her before, or perhaps from anyone in ballet before. If she continues this she could become one of the most interesting and compelling ballerinas today.