This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky 2021-2022 Season

This is a name that I’d like to pass on. She’s a new discovery for me. Her name is Lada Sartakova. She’s actually with the Primorsky part of the company. (Thanks to Nastya at BalletcoForum for the insight).

From a video clip of her recent performance as Princess Florine (The Sleeping Beauty) she appears to be very lovely. This is the performance that Maria Iliushkina debuted in as Aurora in Saint Petersburg.

Lada Sartakova looks totally like a main company dancer. She has beautiful grace and long lines. She also has her own definite personality that makes her somewhat different from similar main company dancers and adds a nice interest and attraction. She’s getting some attention so let’s see if she stays in Saint Petersburg. I hope so as she would seem to be a fine addition.

And since I'm talking about a far away dancer, Valeria Kuznetsova, somewhat similar and whom I’ve mentioned from the school in Perm, who performed at the Moscow Ballet Competition, would seem to be another fine addition if that were to ever happen. Yuri Fateev (Mariinsky ballet director) was a judge at the competition so she’s not an unknown. Still, nothing going on there that I know of for the moment.

Edited by Buddy
12 hours ago, Buddy said:

This is a name that I’d like to pass on. She’s a new discovery for me. Her name is Lada Sartakova. She’s actually with the Primorsky part of the company. (Thanks to Nastya at BalletcoForum for the insight).

From a video clip of her recent performance as Princess Florine (The Sleeping Beauty) she appears to be very lovely. This is the performance that Maria Iliushkina debuted in as Aurora in Saint Petersburg.

Lada Sartakova looks totally like a main company dancer. She has beautiful grace and long lines. She also has her own definite personality that makes her somewhat different from similar main company dancers and adds a nice interest and attraction. She’s getting some attention so let’s see if she stays in Saint Petersburg. I hope so as she would seem to be a fine addition.

And since I'm talking about a far away dancer, Valeria Kuznetsova, somewhat similar and whom I’ve mentioned from the school in Perm, who performed at the Moscow Ballet Competition, would seem to be another fine addition if that were to ever happen. Yuri Fateev (Mariinsky ballet director) was a judge at the competition so she’s not an unknown. Still, nothing going on there that I know of for the moment.

Lada was an online sensation as a child, dancing en pointe and performing the Kitri variation at age 7, winning numerous prizes at YAGP Paris at age 9 and performing 32 double fouettés at age 10!   There are numerous videos of her performing as a child on YT.  Here are the fouettés!:

Just now, MadameP said:

Lada was an online sensation as a child, dancing en pointe and performing the Kitri variation at age 7, winning numerous prizes at YAGP Paris at age 9 and performing 32 double fouettés at age 10!   There are numerous videos of her performing as a child on YT.

That’s quite something, MadameP !  Thank you for this information.

Yet, what impresses me very much is her grace and loveliness.

Here, by the way again, is the video clip of Valeria Kuznetsova from Perm, who I continue to feel would be a wonderful addition to the Mariinsky because of her remarkable loveliness. I'll continue to encourage this possibility as much as I possibly can !

(Also posted officially at the Competition site)

Edited by Buddy
19 hours ago, Buddy said:

Yes I agree! As I was watching the video of her as Princess Florine, I wondered where she'd been hidden. What a glorious young ballerina!

Just now, ECat said:

Yes I agree! As I was watching the video of her as Princess Florine, I wondered where she'd [Lada Sartakova] been hidden. What a glorious young ballerina!

Hopefully she won’t be hidden much longer, ECat.

Since this is the vacation month for the main company I’ll take the chance to focus on some other things. On more name that I’d really like to highlight is that of  the young Anastasia Plotnikova, still in the Corps de Ballet. I’d love to see her given as much attention as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHK8H181cr4

(posted by herself)

Edited by Buddy
Just now, naomikage said:

LIZI AVSAJANISHVILI is listed as corps de ballet at Staatsballett Berlin. 
https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/ensemble/lizi-avsajanishvili/469

also her Instagram profile

https://instagram.com/lizzkaavs?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thank you very much for this information, Naomikage. She graduated the Vaganova in June 2020 (thanks to Jeannette at BalletcoForum for this information) and  I was sure that she’d have a fine career at the Mariinsky. Does anyone know what the attraction of the Staatsballett Berlin might be ?

Edited by Buddy
On 8/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, Buddy said:

Thank you very much for this information, Naomikage. She graduated the Vaganova in June 2020 (thanks to Jeannette at BalletcoForum for this information) and  I was sure that she’d have a fine career at the Mariinsky. Does anyone know what the attraction of the Staatsballett Berlin might be ?

Staatsballett Berlin has taken a number of Vaganova Academy graduates over the years, particularly those focused on careers outside Russia.  
There’s also quite a bit of reporting on a large increase in young people — particularly multinationals (believe Avsajanishvili is Georgian) — leaving Russia, given the political situation and the way life has been changing inside the country.  Of course, saying that Avsajanishvili is part of that trend is pure speculation; she may simply be seeking out a different repertory, director, or even pay scale.  Dancers move around, and we just don’t always know why.

At the moment there are comparatively few Vaganova graduates working in Berlin, but a number of ADs, including Ted Brandsen in Amsterdam and the interim leadership in Berlin, have said in press interviews that they've been getting lots of inquiries from dancers eager to leave Russia. (They also implied they felt a moral imperative to help foreign nationals get out.)

The company in Berlin is the largest in Germany, and its dancers come from diverse backgrounds. It's in a better position than most to stage large evening-length productions and also absorb unalike dancers.

9 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The company in Berlin is the largest in Germany, and its dancers come from diverse backgrounds. It's in a better position than most to stage large evening-length productions

All German ballet companies have dancers from diverse backgrounds, and most of them stage large evening-length productions - Berlin, Dresden, Hamburg, Munich and Stuttgart show the classics in different versions, Munich has the largest Petipa repertoire among them. In most years, Hamburg and Stuttgart can fill their places with students from their own schools; the others not so much, that's why they take in dancers from other schools or companies.

Thanks, everyone, for these insights.

Something that would certainly attract me to the Staatsballett Berlin would be the presence of this young woman.

Evelina Godunova — Soloist

(From Latvia. Gold medal winner at the 2017 Moscow International Ballet Competition (again thanks to Jeannette at BalletcoForum))

Delightful !

(All theses videos, I believe, are also officially posted at the Moscow Ballet Competition site) 

Added:

Two other very good reasons would  be Polina Semionova and Iana Salenko.

Edited by Buddy

I think that a bottom line to this discussion could be that while many of the world’s leading companies can produce one or two or a handful of ‘classically outstanding’ dancers, companies such as the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi can produce dozens and dozens of them.

Added:

Staatsballett Berlin:

Polina Semionova (Russia)

Iana Salenko (Ukraine)

Does make you think (and hope).

Edited by Buddy

I find that view highly contentious.  For many years I've witnessed what I can only describe as an artistic decline in Russian companies.  There are leading dancers in Russia that I personally find repellent.  I am not likely to miss the vast majority of them, there are of course a small number of exceptions.

Xander Parish posted today a message about the passing away of his coach of ten years, Igor Yurievich Petrov. It’s a very sympathetic one.

“Igor Yurievich Petrov, my coach for 10 years in the Mariinsky Ballet, sadly passed away today. I cannot begin to describe what an amazing and wonderful person he was, full of positivity and encouragement to those of us who were fortunate enough to work with him. Igor Yurievich, thank you for everything you did for me, for always being there in the wings and always.”

https://www.facebook.com/xanderparish/posts/pfbid0o4iZvVVKUrzdrtkSmUuqVp42HYt28LqaXXUbU4NrHqQWZa1mv5eRn3YzTFuJt8x8l

(thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie)

On 8/21/2022 at 1:10 AM, Mashinka said:

There are leading dancers in Russia that I personally find repellent.  I am not likely to miss the vast majority of them, there are of course a small number of exceptions.

Ditto.

In recent years I wondered why I was often miserable after performances of Swan Lake or Don Quixote, and I reached the conclusion that I don't like Russian ballerinas, perhaps 95% of them. I am much happier watching the women of the Royal Ballet, New York City Ballet, for that matter, American Ballet Theatre.

Thanks to everyone for your ongoing thoughts and comments.

In my statement about the ability of the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi being able to produce an exceptional number of “classically outstanding” dancers compared to other companies, I would also say that this is a particular kind of beauty, but one the I do consider to be perhaps the essence of ballet dancing. It’s something that’s rooted in a cultural devotion, as well, that can set such companies apart. And this isn’t totally based on technical precision, which I view as one way of accomplishing this, a very important one but not the only one. Also, there are companies that I’m more familiar with, such as the American Ballet Theater and the Miami City Ballet, that I like very much, but for different reasons. It’s an overall aura, fineness and sense of fineness, on the other hand, that make the Mariinsky, the Bolshoi and some other related companies so special for me and I believe for many others.

Again, I’d like to call attention to Xander Parish’s loving praise for his former coach, Igor Yurievich Petrov, (above post) and, in addition to mourning his passing, be grateful that such persons exist in the world of ballet and everywhere.

Just now, naomikage said:

Xander Parish is now listed as a dancer at Norwegian National Ballet and is scheduled to dance Albrecht in Giselle. But the roster does not mention him as a principal.

https://operaen.no/en/about-us-oslo-operahouse/the-norwegian-opera-and-ballet/norwegian-national-ballet/

Also Vasilii Tkachenko, former dancer at Mariinsky is listed here. 

Thanks, Naomikage.  Glad that Xander Parish (also Vasilii Tkachenko)  has found a new home.

This is a video from 2008 of Xander Parish’s recently deceased coach, Igor Yurievich Petrov, giving a class. It’s interesting to see faces from back then. At very quick glance I believe that it’s Diana Vishneva in the black and white striped top and Alina Somova in a red top practicing next to Leonid Serafanov. Viktoria Tereshkina is there, but I haven’t found her yet and many others.

You might want to start watching around 10:00 to look for faces and things probably are more interesting when the spins and jumps begin around 40:00.

“Today, August 21, [2022] was the death of one of my best  Mariinsky friends, Igor Petrov. In honor of him,  I am showing his class from 2008. including Diana Vishneva, Alina Somova, Viktoria Tereshkina, Leonid Sarafanov, Daniil Fadeyev, Irma Nioradze.”

Edited by Buddy
12 hours ago, naomikage said:

Xander Parish is now listed as a dancer at Norwegian National Ballet and is scheduled to dance Albrecht in Giselle. But the roster does not mention him as a principal.

https://operaen.no/en/about-us-oslo-operahouse/the-norwegian-opera-and-ballet/norwegian-national-ballet/

Also Vasilii Tkachenko, former dancer at Mariinsky is listed here. 

Norwegian National Ballet really has gotten to be just a spectacular troupe of dancers.  I got the chance to see the company live in their (awe-inspiring) home theater a few years back and they were just fantastic.  Glad Parish found a good home.

I watched videos of Lada Sartakova when she was very young, and was somewhat horrified when she was dancing en pointe so early. I was happy and relieved when she was accepted at Vaganova. At that time, one of the mothers had permission to videotape classes, exams and in-house recitals, so it was interesting to follow the progression of many of the young dancers each year. Eventually Tsiskaridze put an end to that, but in the years that followed I avidly watched the graduation performances at the Mariinsky to see how they had progressed, who was chosen by the Mariinsky, and how their careers developed. Today, as I scan the list of Mariinsky corps members , I see many names of dancers that had leading roles at Vaganova performances and have languished in the corps ever since. I am sure Lada was devastated when she was not accepted at the Mariinsky last year, however at the Primorsky  over the last year, she has danced many roles – Masha in The Nutcracker, Gulnara in Corsaire, Princess Florine in Sleeping Beauty and others. On September 9th, she is debuting as Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty. Since dancers put up with years of grueling training because they want to dance – I would say she came out the winner!!!  

Just now, Jan Martin said:

I watched videos of Lada Sartakova when she was very young, and was somewhat horrified when she was dancing en pointe so early. I was happy and relieved when she was accepted at Vaganova. At that time, one of the mothers had permission to videotape classes, exams and in-house recitals, so it was interesting to follow the progression of many of the young dancers each year. Eventually Tsiskaridze put an end to that, but in the years that followed I avidly watched the graduation performances at the Mariinsky to see how they had progressed, who was chosen by the Mariinsky, and how their careers developed. Today, as I scan the list of Mariinsky corps members , I see many names of dancers that had leading roles at Vaganova performances and have languished in the corps ever since. I am sure Lada was devastated when she was not accepted at the Mariinsky last year, however at the Primorsky  over the last year, she has danced many roles – Masha in The Nutcracker, Gulnara in Corsaire, Princess Florine in Sleeping Beauty and others. On September 9th, she is debuting as Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty. Since dancers put up with years of grueling training because they want to dance – I would say she came out the winner!!!  

Thanks very much for your post, Jan, and welcome to Ballet Alert! .

I share your feelings about what a fine dancer Lada Sartakova is. I also feel somewhat the same about starting certain feats at such a young age. She’s now so gracefully lovely that I even sense that she decided that that was not going to be her only legacy, but this is just personal musing and conjecture.

And, yes, it’s very good that she’s dancing so many fine parts at the Primorsky. Maybe she’ll be doing this with the main company some day. I think that that would be just fine.

Since we were just discussing Lada Sartakova, a young Vaganova graduate now at the Mariinsky/Primorsky company, it might be interesting to take a look at two other young dancers and make some video comparisons.

Maria Koshkaryova is still at the Vaganova, but is also appearing as a Trainee with the main company, already performing Soloist roles. She seems destined to be a Star and an unofficial summary video was recently posted of her in various works. What has always been apparent is her command of detail, somewhat similar to the young Maria Khoreva. For me, there’s also a resemblance to Nadezhda Batoeva in overall ability. What’s appears more noticeable in this compilation video is her sunshiny vibrance. This is a quality that I like very much. Here again is another video glance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmuVFHL4iG0

Lada Sartakova has a softer loveliness. Once more, this is a quality that I like very much. And I’ll say what I’ve said before, that I think that she would do beautifully as a Soloist with the main company.

[I appologize for removing this video. I thought that it was an officially posted one. It shows her as Princess Florine (from The Sleeping Beauty) in a recent Primorsky/Mariinsky performance at the Mariinsky in Saint Petersburg and I think that she’s very lovely.]

I’ll add one more name of someone whom I’m often mentioning these days, Valeria Kuznetsova, She’s at the Perm ballet school, not the Vaganova, but I consider her perhaps the current standard in graceful beauty among all the younger dancers and even worthy of including with the most beautiful of the mature ones. In this video, which I’m posting once again, as Duffster, a former professional ballet dancer, pointed out, she’s dancing a very difficult solo, and, for me, she just floats through it — a lovely performance. If she ever does appear with the Mariinsky, I think that that would be great. In the meantime she remains, for me anyway, a reference point for all young dancers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRbEp7XdAsA

(These videos have officially been posted at the Competition site.)

Edited by Buddy

Thank you, Buddy for posting these videos.  Kosharova, starting with her entrance, shows a charming confidence and has alot of strength in her lower body without showing any strain in her arms and shoulders. What I enjoy about these dancers is their beautiful epaulement, and attention to detail in their footwork and overall their lack of nervousness in their approach. All very gifted but each having their own  individuality.