This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky 2021-2022 Season

18 hours ago, naomikage said:

Sofya Khoreva, younger sister of Maria has announced on her Instagram that she will be joining Mariinsky.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdizi5lolBD/

Thanks, Naomikage, for this information. I feel that I sort of know her from discussion videos that her sister, Maria, posted awhile ago.  It's nice to see Xander Parish and Isabella Boylston joining in the congratulations. I hope that she does well and has a fine life at the theater.

A few recent debuts. Her sister as Shirin and Nadezhda Batoeva as Mekhmene Banu in The Legend of Love. 

https://youtu.be/NxnNm34n5b4

And Renata Shakirova and Philip Stepin in La Bayadère.

https://youtu.be/mmARahGRPuA

(Thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie) 

Edited by Buddy

I've liked Maxim Petrov's choreographic work at the Mariinsky very much over his earlier years when he had a definite openness, sense of delight and impressive ability to convey this with his dance structuring. Then he became more 'serious' and more 'contemporary.' This involves a more 'modernish' body sculpturing and staccato sort of motion. 

In contrast to the lengthy explanations offered for these works, for me, it generally works or it doesn't. With the complexities of this moment in time there's something to be said for successful abstraction, something with no simple explanation or answers, but something that still touches our inner feelings of human value and warmth.

Wanting to take these very brief glimpses from his new work (or version?), "Afternoon of a Faun," simply at face value, I do tend to like it and see a place for it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtO87hXFm6E&t=21s

I'm drawn back to Maxim Petrov's new work "Afternoon of A Faun," mentioned above.

Two things hold my attention. 

For me, his strength has been to combine Mariinsky fineness with a more relaxed contemporary point of view, often with a sense of joyful abandon. Even in this more serious and abstract sort of work, he continues to successfully combine traditional Mariinsky beauty with different forms of dance expression.  

The second, is his use of an older female and male dancer.* They aren't that much older and they are directly related to the appeal of the normal Mariinsky dancer. What they add is a more mature artistry. This has been discussed elsewhere at Ballet Alert!. I think that they're a good example of how a ballet dancer's career could be prolonged by maybe another ten years. With some exceptionally artistic Mariinsky dancers now well into their careers this sort of thing could hopefully be helpful in extending some of their years on stage.  

*Does anyone know who these two older dancers are ?

Edited by Buddy
On 5/15/2022 at 2:39 PM, Buddy said:

A few recent debuts. Her sister as Shirin and Nadezhda Batoeva as Mekhmene Banu in The Legend of Love. 

https://youtu.be/NxnNm34n5b4

And Renata Shakirova and Philip Stepin in La Bayadère.

https://youtu.be/mmARahGRPuA

(Thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie) 

Thank you for sharing these videos. Congratulations to all of these amazing dancers on their debuts. Philip Stepin is a favorite of mine and I hope he is promoted to principle during his career. In fact, I hope all of the above dancers achieve that level.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:18 AM, ECat said:

Thank you for sharing these videos. Congratulations to all of these amazing dancers on their debuts. Philip Stepin is a favorite of mine and I hope he is promoted to principle during his career. In fact, I hope all of the above dancers achieve that level.

Yes, they're all very fine, ECat.

After not viewing it for awhile, I watched the video mentioned last month from about a year-and-a-half ago of Oxana Skorik performing Fokine's "The Swan" at a Mariinsky gala. My goodness, what a beautiful performance that is !

When she combines her beauty of dance, which I consider to be perhaps the finest in ballet today, with a sympathetic commitment to expression, which she does here, I have to say once again that she could well be my favorite ballerina in the world today.

14 hours ago, Buddy said:

Yes, they're all very fine, ECat.

After not viewing it for awhile, I watched the video mentioned last month from about a year-and-a-half ago of Oxana Skorik performing Fokine's "The Swan" at a Mariinsky gala. My goodness, what a beautiful performance that is !

When she combines her beauty of dance, which I consider to be perhaps the finest in ballet today, with a sympathetic commitment to expression, which she does here, I have to say once again that she could well be my favorite ballerina in the world today.

Yes, Skorik beautifully embodies the swan. I have a lot of respect for her for getting so strong. She is very hyper flexible, yet has the strength to control those lovely limbs of hers.

2 hours ago, ECat said:

Yes, Skorik beautifully embodies the swan. I have a lot of respect for her for getting so strong. She is very hyper flexible, yet has the strength to control those lovely limbs of hers.

Ah yes, those limbs, ECat !

And at the ends of her upper ones are her.... Yep!  Hands.

It's in fact been rumored that her Hands are actually some sort of angel's wings that actually control the rest of her body.  🙂

These several videos posted  by the Mariinsky probably give a nice introduction to the ’next generation’ of ballerinas.

Nadezhda Batoeva (debut) followed by  Maria Khoreva (debut) (The Legend of Love)

Renata Shakirova (debut)  (La Bayadere)

Maria Iliushkina (with Nikita Korneyev) (Raymonda)

Also I’d like to include this one of Maria Shirinkina (with her husband Vladimir Shklyarov) to show how ‘the present’ continues to grow in artistry and sensitivity. (The Young Lady and the Hooligan)

This is followed by Anastasia Lukina (’new generation’) with Kimin Kim  (Leningrad Symphony).

Maria Bulanova would certainly be another name to keep an eye on.

Edited by Buddy
On 7/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, ECat said:

@naomikage than you for sharing this wonderful news!! I am wishing Nadezhda a well-deserved congratulations! She is such a versatile dancer and truly sparkles on stage.

I agree ECat — “versatile” and “sparkles.”

I’ll go back to what I’ve mentioned before. I would say both “versatile” and proficient. I saw her debut of Swan Lake and it was as if she’d been dancing it all her life.

Can you “sparkle” in Swan Lake ?  The day before I left Saint Petersburg because the virus was shutting everything down, I did see her perform a second Swan Lake and it was almost joyful — and it worked !

There are going to be a lot of prominent new faces along with Nadezhda Batoeva’s. Viktoria Tereshkina is already beginning to teach, for instance.

I would say that Maria Iliushkina will be the most prominent for pure loveliness and refinement, carrying on the recent tradition of one of the finest ever, Ulyana Lopatkina, now featuring Oxana Skorik, and sharing this spotlight with the Bolshoi’s Vaganova graduate, Alyona Kovalyova.

I see no one on the horizon to come close to replacing Yekaterina Kondaurova in overall versatility and adaptability. She can dance anything — and brilliantly !  May she continue to dance forever and ever !  😊

Renata Shakirova and Maria Khoreva do have a fine range, but Yekaterina Kondaurova is very, very special.

Nadezhda Batoeva may well be the company’s next Viktoria Tereshkina in many respects. She also has a certain spark and excitement of personality, along with her proficiency, that should make her very special and enjoyable.

Maria Khoreva may quite possibly be the most interesting because of her remarkably talent, adaptability and invention.

Renata Shakirova is loveable along with having very impressive prowess and adaptability.

Maria Bulanova should shine brilliantly with wonderful personality.

And all these artists could develop noticeably as their careers progress allowing for some very impressive and exciting, even heartwarming, surprises.

Edited by Buddy

So let’s take a look at the really younger generation. There are now three Ballet Troupe Trainees.

Maria Koshkareva

Yaroslavna Kuprina

Anastasiya Zinchenko

(no videos)

Maria Koshkareva is by far the most high profile having already performed at least one lead role with the Mariinsky.

Another young dancer, Anastasia Plotnikova, two years in the Corps de Ballet, continues to capture my attention.

For me, there’s sort of a Maria Khoreva/Maria Iliushkina resemblance. Maria Koshkareva, like Maria Khoreva, had almost immediate recognition. Anastasia Plotnikova remains, like Maria Iliushkina did, in the Corps de Ballet.  I would also say that Maria Khoreva and Maria Koshkareva are more expansive, whereas Maria Iliushkina and Anastasia Plotnikova are more quietly graceful.  Let’s see how this comparison develops.

One other name that I would like to mention from the Moscow Ballet Competition is Valeria Kuznetsova  (Perm school).

She has no connection at the moment with the Vaganova or Mariinsky, but I wish that she did, although being associated with the Perm Ballet is also a very impressive and desirable situation.

(Three of these videos have been officially posted at the Moscow Ballet Competition site and Anastasia Plotnikova’s was posted by herself)

https://moscowballetcompetition.com/en/video/

In my previous post I mentioned the young Anastasia Plotnikova (Corps de Ballet) and her resemblance, both dance-wise (lovely gracefulness) and career-wise (time being spent in the Corps de Ballet) to Maria Iliushkina.

Her repertoire includes Mona (Giselle), whereas I first noticed Maria Iliushkina as Zulma (Giselle) about six years ago. She’s now appearing twice  as one of the Three Shades (La Bayadere) while Maria Iliushkina is the lead, Nikiya.

Again, I would like to see if any more parallels develop. She’s a lovely young dancer, whom I hope enjoys some of the same success that Maria Iliushkina has.

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/troupe/corps/plotnikova1/

Does anyone know what’s happened to the young Vaganova star graduate, Lizi Avsajanishvili ?

All these young dancers are part of a continuum of remarkable beauty that distinguishes the Mariinsky and rewards viewers such as myself with a feeling of elevation, appreciation and warm gratitude.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, Buddy said:

I agree ECat — “versatile” and “sparkles.”

I’ll go back to what I’ve mentioned before. I would say both “versatile” and proficient. I saw her debut of Swan Lake and it was as if she’d been dancing it all her life.

Can you “sparkle” in Swan Lake ?  The day before I left Saint Petersburg because the virus was shutting everything down, I did see her perform a second Swan Lake and it was almost joyful — and it worked !

There are going to be a lot of prominent new faces along with Nadezhda Batoeva’s. Viktoria Tereshkina is already beginning to teach, for instance.

I would say that Maria Iliushkina will be the most prominent for pure loveliness and refinement, carrying on the recent tradition of one of the finest ever, Ulyana Lopatkina, now featuring Oxana Skorik, and sharing this spotlight with the Bolshoi’s Vaganova graduate, Alyona Kovalyova.

I see no one on the horizon to come close to replacing Yekaterina Kondaurova in overall versatility and adaptability. She can dance anything — and brilliantly !  May she continue to dance forever and ever !  😊

Renata Shakirova and Maria Khoreva do have a fine range, but Yekaterina Kondaurova is very, very special.

Nadezhda Batoeva may well be the company’s next Viktoria Tereshkina in many respects. She also has a certain spark and excitement of personality, along with her proficiency, that should make her very special and enjoyable.

Maria Khoreva may quite possibly be the most interesting because of her remarkably talent, adaptability and invention.

Renata Shakirova is loveable along with having very impressive prowess and adaptability.

Maria Bulanova should shine brilliantly with wonderful personality.

And all these artists could develop noticeably as their careers progress allowing for some very impressive and exciting, even heartwarming, surprises.

@BuddyI always enjoy reading your thoughts on all things ballet!

The two times I saw Batoeva, Rubies and Gamzatti, she almost stole the show. She sparkled and captivated in both. She is quite versatile and, in my opinion, is capable of dancing all of the roles that Tereshinka has danced. 

Indeed, this current crop of upcoming dancers at Mariinsky is steeped in talent and versatility. I am also a big fan of Philipp Stepin and hope that he becomes a principal soon. There is a huge pool of talented men in the second soloist division as well.

Yes, "Queen" Kondaurova is supremely beautiful - both as a dancer and as a woman. In addition to the classics, she excels in the contemporary choreography. If La Dame Aux Camelias is ever performed at eh Mariinsky, I would love to see her as Marguerite. Tereshinka as well!

There’s a new video going around of Renata Shakirova’s debut in Paquita and Shakirova is just stunning — a throwback to another era.  While there’s only so much you can tell in a video of excerpts, this seems to have been a debut to remember.  

I don’t know if Americans and Europeans will have the opportunity to see these dancers on stage during the remainder of their careers — certainly the Kennedy Center tour days are over for those of us in the U.S. — so I’m quite grateful for videos like these being available.

8 hours ago, tutu said:

There’s a new video going around of Renata Shakirova’s debut in Paquita and Shakirova is just stunning — a throwback to another era.  While there’s only so much you can tell in a video of excerpts, this seems to have been a debut to remember.  

I don’t know if Americans and Europeans will have the opportunity to see these dancers on stage during the remainder of their careers — certainly the Kennedy Center tour days are over for those of us in the U.S. — so I’m quite grateful for videos like these being available.

I watch little video of Russian dancers these days, but vividly remembering how fabulous Shakirova was as the villainess in Smekalov’s version of Paquita when the Mariinsky brought the ballet to Kennedy Center I did decide to watch the video of her debut as the ballet’s heroine—and I agree that she looks wonderful in this...

On 7/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, tutu said:

She’s quite wonderful !  Thank you.

I keep expecting to see Gavriel Heine on stage at the encores. Hopefully, once again, somehow, someday.

I see a lot of very fine resemblances between Renata Shakirova and the Bolshoi’s Elizaveta Kokoreva. Both are dance prowess firecrackers. Elizaveta Kokoreva does a leap into an overhead lift that has to be seen to be believed.

Renata Shakirova is somewhat more softly lovely, whereas Elizaveta Kokoreva has a more linear, statuesque beauty, which is quite commendable in someone who doesn’t seem very tall. I know that Renata Shakirova isn’t.

And both are innately bundles of sunshine and that can spell hope and good will.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, Buddy said:

I see a lot of very fine resemblances between Renata Shakirova and the Bolshoi’s Elizaveta Kokoreva. Both are dance prowess firecrackers. Elizaveta Kokoreva does a leap into an overhead lift that has to be seen to be believed.

Renata Shakirova is somewhat more softly lovely, whereas Elizaveta Kokoreva has a more linear, statuesque beauty, which is quite commendable in someone who doesn’t seem very tall. I know that Renata Shakirova isn’t.

And both are innately bundles of sunshine and that can spell hope and good will.

@Buddy I had the same thought about these two beauties. I love reading your posts and often need the proper time to gather my thoughts to reply. Your avid appreciation for ballet is delightful to me. Both Shakirova and Kokoreva are spitfires with similar gifts. It will be exciting to watch their careers grow and flourish as I am hopeful that they will both become principals. 

Kokoreva could easily step into Krysanova's repertoire, although I believe Ms. Krysanova has many more dancing years ahead of her. 

Thanks, ECat.

A few days ago someone posted about 15 minutes of Renata Shakirova, with Phillip Stepin, performing La Bayadère (July 20). It’s perhaps the most beautiful and sensitive performance that I’ve seen her give.

For the first half she looked very much like the highly graceful and embraceable Maria Iliushkina. Her moves may have been slightly more animated but still very lovely and delicate, offering just the right amount of dramatic emphasis. In addition, she has a wonderful sensitivity and substance. Her overall drama is very nicely fashioned, heart-touching and appropriate. She showed a wonderful range and made it evident that she has a delicacy, substance and very personal identity that continues to grow and make her even more special.

Good job !