This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky 2021-2022 Season

On 1/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, Buddy said:

Drew, I would guess that you’ll see this one as well. Since you like the Bolshoi’s young Elizaveta Kokoreva as much as you do, you might also enjoy the Mariinsky’s even younger Anastasia Plotnikova who’s still in the Corps de Ballet.

From my limited video viewing, she’s the Mariinsky’s answer to Elizaveta Kokoreva. Whereas Elizaveta Kokoreva is perhaps more technically ‘dazzling,’ as you might expect at the Bolshoi, Anastasia Plotnikova is pure ‘loveliness.’ Why I think of them together, besides their young ages and fine talent, is that they are both ‘Pure Sunshine.’

Added: This is the only ‘official’  video (posted by herself). It's from about two-and-a-half years ago. I would say that she's more graceful now and has put on a little more weight, which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHK8H181cr4

Oh thank you for sharing this!  I am also a big Kokoreva fan and Anastasia is quite a delicate beauty.  

Through it all, the beauty of such works as Swan Lake and Giselle seem to rise above it all.

I've just been watching Renata Shakirova's Giselle with Nikita Korneev from about a month ago. She's really quite fine with this. And she looks as lovely as I remember her in person at a reception from almost five years ago.

Edited by Buddy

Some dancers in Mariinsky (and Bolshoi, Mikhailovsky, Stanmus) who are from outside of Russia are leaving the country. I am not sure when they will come back, or ever come back.

Such as Victor Caixeta, Arron Osawa Horowitz of Mariinsky, Jacopo Tissi and David Motta Soares of Bolshoi, Laura Fernandez of Stanmus. 

40 minutes ago, naomikage said:

Some dancers in Mariinsky (and Bolshoi, Mikhailovsky, Stanmus) who are from outside of Russia are leaving the country. I am not sure when they will come back, or ever come back.

Such as Victor Caixeta, Arron Osawa Horowitz of Mariinsky, Jacopo Tissi and David Motta Soares of Bolshoi, Laura Fernandez of Stanmus. 

I knew about Tissi but not about the others -- though it's not a surprise. (I wonder what Xander Parish will do.)

I hope all of them find great opportunities elsewhere.

At the moment it is still possible to leave the country via Turkey or the Gulf states, a long detour for anyone attempting to fly westward. But these avenues may not be available indefinitely, and people risk being trapped in Russia, with no access to foreign bank accounts, and their local earnings depreciating in value.

There are many Japanese students in Ballet academies in Russia, and although Vaganova Academy is advising that it is not dangerous to stay, many are attempting to fly home. About a dozen Japanese students of Novosibirsk academy have traveled to Vladivostok where there is a direct flight to Tokyo but the flight was canceled and they are stranded. Now visa and master cards could not be used, SNS not working, the value of roubles diminishing, they are asking help to the Japanese embassy. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I hope all of them find great opportunities elsewhere.

SF Ballet just posted on Instagram a notice that dancers "displaced by conflict in Ukraine" are welcome in the Hungarian, Czech, and Polish National Ballets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cap4KxQh3aM/

I also saw a posting that they are welcome with the Lithuanian National Ballet. 

I wonder if the foreign Russian company dancers count in this if they are fleeing themselves from Russia.

Edited by California
50 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Xander Parish announced on IG that he is leaving Russia immediately.

Xander Parish

"Dear friends & [Instagram] followers, tonight I was supposed to be performing Giselle at the Mariinsky Theatre but instead, due to the awful crisis I have taken the difficult decision to leave Russia, at least until peace comes. My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine, near and far, including @kate_chebykina pictured with me here in @jivoy_dance’s “I’m not Scared”. I am so grateful to the Mariinsky Theatre who, thanks to Yuri Fateev, took me in 12 years ago and gave me a career in classical ballet I could only have dreamed about. I am grateful to the wonderful ordinary Russian people, the majority of whom have treated me with such kindness. I pray that peace will come and the wounds will be healed by God’s grace. Thank you to all of you who have been sending me messages over the past few days and sorry for not having had the time to reply 🙏🏻"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Caxj21HOqGK/

6 hours ago, California said:

SF Ballet just posted on Instagram a notice that dancers "displaced by conflict in Ukraine" are welcome in the Hungarian, Czech, and Polish National Ballets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cap4KxQh3aM/

I also saw a posting that they are welcome with the Lithuanian National Ballet. 

I wonder if the foreign Russian company dancers count in this if they are fleeing themselves from Russia.

I had not thought so when I first read those posts,  but perhaps...who knows?

I suspect this has all been traumatic enough for many of them from other parts of the world who have built careers in Russia that those who are higher profile and have the option may prefer to get farther away if they can. I myself am not persuaded the war will expand beyond Ukraine, but...

I do not know what route Xander Parish took out of Russia, but I remember that a number of years ago he acquired Russian citizenship. Assuming it's still running, there is a train between Saint Petersburg and Helsinki that is open only to Russian and Finnish nationals.

I still haven't mastered the intricacies of traveling with two passports, and mine aren't nearly as disparate as British and Russian. But I imagine there must be a way of establishing that, yes, I can board this train because I am Russian, and no, I don't need a Finnish visa because I am also British.

Wars are always horrible and the Ukrainian invasion is no different. Many, many innocent individuals get victimised as well. Keeping them in mind and hoping for an end to this is why I continue to offer this kind of information.

Maria Ilyushkina has been made First Soloist. Congratulations to her.

(Thanks to Viran at Balletfriends, Большой - Балет и Опера)

Added thought: *Art*, as an expression of Beauty and Love, is one thing that keeps cultures from drifting further into darkness during the worst of circumstances and is something that should be nurtured and supported, perhaps most in those times. 

Edited by Buddy

Access to Facebook and Instagram is being cut off by the Russian government, not by Meta. Russia has already blocked access to Twitter. These blocks can be overcome with a VPN. But of course if Russians continue to post, comment or like on Instagram, the government will know they are using a VPN.

In 2019 a number of VPN providers closed their servers in Russia after the government demanded access to those servers. The companies refused and pulled out of the country in order to protect the privacy of their subscribers. That made it impossible for the likes of us to overcome Russian geoblocks.

Edited by volcanohunter
On 3/12/2022 at 5:12 AM, volcanohunter said:

Access to Facebook and Instagram is being cut off by the Russian government, not by Meta. Russia has already blocked access to Twitter. These blocks can be overcome with a VPN. But of course if Russians continue to post, comment or like on Instagram, the government will know they are using a VPN.

In 2019 a number of VPN providers closed their servers in Russia after the government demanded access to those servers. The companies refused and pulled out of the country in order to protect the privacy of their subscribers. That made it impossible for the likes of us to overcome Russian geoblocks.

This of course makes it harder to monitor Russian protests against the war, and or Putin. The windows on Russian society will be shuttered for a long while.  We do know of a recent incident in which Russian Channel One journalist and editor Marina Ovsyannikova interrupted a Monday evening news report displaying a poster reading “no war” and “Russians against the war”. In an interview, Ovsyannikova had explained that her father is Ukrainian and her mother is Russian. She stated that “Russia is the aggressor country and one person, Vladimir Putin, solely bears responsibility for that aggression” and urged Russians to join anti-war protests. She has been fined for her actions, but will likely end up in prison under the latest security measures. Ovsyannikova is a brave woman.

One of the more remarkable reports of late: Russian families calling a Ukrainian hotline to find out information about their sons/fathers/brothers fighting in Ukraine. That's right, they are calling the Ukrainians to find out what is going on. Naturally the hotline is not able to offer many specifics on personnel - they don't even know how many of their own people are dead or wounded in various locations around the country. 

Edited by pherank

Denis Matvienko, former Mariinsky Principal and former AD of Novosibirsk Theatre Ballet, currently Vaganova Academy teacher wrote on Instagram that he and his wife Anastasia Matvienko (first soloist at Mariinsky) has left Russia where they had lived for 15 years. This post is extremely sad, Artem Datsishin the National Ballet of Ukraine dancer who was killed in the attack was his close friend. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbeP5p8IAhO/?utm_medium=copy_link

Taking a more timeless point of view, which seems to be the way to go for the moment, I notice that Maria Iliushkina performed another "The Swan" last Friday (and by the way, will be doing another "Swan Lake" tomorrow). A video clip of her "The Swan" debut from several weeks ago shows her to be quite lovely as usual.

So thinking about "The Swan," which to my mind is one of the most beautiful and heart-searching of all ballets, even if it's only about four minutes long, some names come to mind. One that I've not seen mentioned in awhile is Oxana Skorik. I've seen a video of her 'Swan' from several years ago and it's another reminder of how lyrically wonderful her dancing is. And I'll continue to maintain that she has perhaps the most beautiful hands in ballet, perhaps ever.

Alina Somova, who at times, for me, is comparable to Oxana Skorik in fineness and grace, performed a 'Swan' that I saw at a Mariinsky Festival. I've written here several times that it was one of the best ballet performances that I've ever seen.

This all falls into the category of 'ethereal' gracefulness that I generally associate with the Mariinsky.

In slight contrast to this is the Bolshoi's somewhat more dramatic but still extremely beautiful manner. If the Mariinsky ballerinas mentioned above represent perhaps the finest of lyrical grace, and I might include the Bolshoi's Alyona Kovalyova (Vaganova graduate), two other ballerinas come to mind for dramatic prowess. They would be Olga Smirnova (formerly Vaganova and Bolshoi, now Dutch National Ballet) and the Bolshoi's very young Eva Sergeyenkova. 

It's art and artists performing like these, that are universal and show the frontierless and timeless beauty of what humanity is capable of.

Edited by Buddy

Thanks, Volcanohunter, for this information. I’ve often admired Igor Kolb as an artist and highly competent dancing partner.

On another note, I’ve been watching a video clip of Maria  Bulanova debuting as Gamzatti in La Bayadere. Certain ballerinas can radiate sunshine, somehow, no matter what. Maria  Bulanova is one of them.

What always stands apart for me in the Gamzatti presentation is the lovely duet. It’s quite a contrast. Maria  Bulanova goes beyond and, for me, gives it a life affirming  vibrance.

Maria Iliushkina performed another Fokine’s “The Swan” which I believe she just recently debuted. There’s a video clip. It’s filmed from a distance with no closeups so that I couldn’t see her facial expression, but her dancing seemed more lovely than ever.

Interestingly, I found a video clip of Oxana Skorik from about a year-and-a-half ago performing this at a Mariinsky gala. It’s perhaps as good a performance in regard to facial expression as I’ve ever seen her give. Her unequaled quality, for me, is her beautiful dancing. Here she made a dramatic statement as well that was totally convincing and totally committed. When she combines these two qualities, she becomes, for me, perhaps my favorite ballet artist.

I consider Maria Iliushkina the closest to Oxana Skorik at the Mariinsky for pure dance beauty. Alyona Kovalyova, a Vaganova (Mariinsky school) graduate, who’s at the Bolshoi is the other dancer that I like very much for the same reason.

Maria Koshkaryova, a young student at the Vaganova, who graduates either this summer or next, has been admitted to the Mariinsky as a Ballet Troupe Trainee, the only one at the moment.

The only video that I could find of her is from six years ago, when she was of course precious along with the two other child dancers, charming the judges. She  is the little girl on the right. What I notice already is her relaxed lyrical manner and beautiful use of the hands. Noting the success of the very young Eva Sergeyenkova at the Bolshoi, I hope that Maria Koshkaryova has a lovely future at the Mariinsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T58HOHB6AU

(posted by Всероссийский конкурс юных талантов, All-Russian competition of young talents) 

Google translation of the Mariinsky announcement:

"Maria was born in Novosibirsk and entered the Academy of Russian Ballet. Vaganova in 2015. Now she is studying in the class of Professor Lyudmila Valentinovna Kovaleva, among whose graduates are Diana Vishneva, Sofya Gumerova, Olga Smirnova, Kristina Shapran, Maria Khoreva, Maria Bulanova and others.

"Maria Koshkareva is in her second year and graduates only next summer, but this winter she has already danced the part of Masha in the Nutcracker series presented by the Academy of Russian Ballet at the Mariinsky Theatre. And about. Yuri Fateev, artistic director of the ballet troupe, believes that the young artist has wonderful data, and an internship at the Mariinsky Theater will be an additional incentive for creativity."

https://vk.com/wall-130074765_137844

(Thanks to Lysyen at Balletfriends/Большой - Балет и Опера) 

Edited by Buddy