This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, September 2

dirac

New COVID-19 precautions for NYCB's  Nutcracker.

New York City Ballet announced Thursday it would limit its cast to performers 12 and older as part of safety protocols for its 47-show run of “George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker,” which opens the day after Thanksgiving and ends in January. Children under 12 will still be allowed in the audience, though they will have to provide negative virus test results.

A long piece on a killing in Charleston involving the married founders of a startup ballet company by Alice Robb for Vanity Fair.

The age gap could be awkward—she was closer in age to her stepdaughter than to her new husband. Schiffman, the computer scientist who shared office space with Doug, said Ashley seemed “immature.” The first time she visited Charleston, Doug took her by the office and introduced them. “I said something to the effect of, ‘You’ve got Doug here to show you around and take care of you while you’re here.’” Ashley responded, “I can take care of myself,” and—to Schiffman’s alarm—pulled a gun out of her jean shorts. “It was very bizarre,” Schiffman said. “She did it in a sort of giggling manner. I didn’t feel threatened, but it’s a very socially awkward thing to do when you first meet someone.”

The National Ballet of China revives Rudolf Nureyev's "Don Quixote."

"I can still recall the rehearsals for Don Quixote," says Feng Ying, president of the National Ballet of China. "Rudolf Nureyev showcased his passion for dancing, which was very inspiring for us."

Feng, a ballerina at that time, played the role of Kitri in the 1985 production. In the ballet, Kitri is in love with the town barber Basilio and she captures the attention of those around her, including Don Quixote, who mistakes her for his Dulcinea and pursues her with fervor.