This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Video Stream of Sarah Van Patten's Tahoe Dance Camp Inaugural Festival

[Note: although not an 'official' SFB project, SVP's Tahoe Dance Camp is getting mentions from SFB on Instagram, and primarily features their dancers.]

I recently watched the entire available stream of Sarah Van Patten's Tahoe Dance Camp inaugural festival. I was ending a particularly lousy day, and wasn't in the best frame of mind to be watching a performance of anything, but this was like being surprised by old friends.

The stream shows most of the recorded performances, but unfortunately doesn't contain any introductory speech, or the flower presentation (more about that later). Apparently there was also a performance by two Alonzo King LINES Ballet dancers that gets edited out for some reason (I don't know what the issue is there). Music is mostly live - conducted by SFB's former Assistant Conductor Luke Ming (it's all in the family).

Ulrik Birkkjaer - with anyone - is worth watching, and here we get to see him partner Jennifer Stahl two times - in Millepied's Appassionata PDD, and in Rhoden's "Amazing Grace" PDD from Testament. They really do look good together - both being taller, athletic dancers. Ulrik sometimes dwarfs his partners but Jen looks just right beside him, and equals his artistic and technical gifts. Stahl now dances with much visible happiness, and is believably emotionally connected with her partner. The Appassionata PDD in particular feels emotionally intimate without being cloying or overwrought.

Tahoe Dance Camp organizer, SVP, appears in both her original role in Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour PDD, alongside stalwart partner Luke Ingham, and in the Andrea Schermoly world premiere, Waning Gibbous, with Wei Wang. Oddly, Wang ends up dancing twice in a row in the first half - I'm not sure why it was organized that way. But to his credit, he doesn't seem exhausted by his efforts. It was clear to me that Wang has developed considerably in his upper body strength and is a much more reliable partner than I remember from a few years back, when he sometimes struggled to lift and carry the women about. SVP continues to look like she can dance into her 40s and 50s, though I think this Tahoe project proves she has plans for other things.

Once again, Frances Chung was a standout for me. Her PDD with Wei Wang in Tomasson's Chaconne was delicate, graceful and technically excellent, and her pairing with Joe Walsh in the PDD from Rodeo was sublime. I wish I had a copy of that performance for posterity. Like the Stahl/Birkkjaer pairing, Chung and Walsh just look good together, and both appear so grateful and enthused to be on stage again that it is riveting. That is a common thread in these performances: the artists are so visibly joyful to be taking part in a live performance that it is infectious. And it's getting hard to choose who among the younger SFB principals and soloists has most developed their artistry over the past 2 or 3 years. But the audience are the real winners.

WanTing Zhao and Luke Ingham changed the evening's mood and tempo with the Swan Lake PDD. Zhao has elegance and beautiful lines, but she danced with convincing emotion as well in this interpretation. This bodes well for her developing career as a principal. The live music for Swan Lake struck me as a tad slow, but that's a minor quibble.

I think I preferred the new Schermoly piece to Rhoden's choreography. Though they both have their moments of cliché  'contemporary' movement. I liked Stahl's costume in "Amazing Grace" but wasn't sure what to think about Birkkjaer's Pacific Island-style skirt. Although I did enjoy hearing "Amazing Grace" sung live in the Rhoden piece, the choreography didn't seem to pay any particular attention to the song. If I turned off the sound, there is no way I could have guessed that they were dancing to the spiritual, Amazing Grace. Does it matter a lot? Probably not.  😉

Danielle Rowe's new group piece, And It Will, was quite fun, and features what looks to be a choreographed goodbye to the stage for Jahna Frantziskonis. Reason enough to watch this one. I know that there was a presentation of roses to Jahna at the end of the show, but unfortunately that is not part of the stream. The last PDD featuring Frantziskonis and her real life partner Nathaniel Remez was a tearjerker. Cavan Conley is excellent in a comedic role (once again), but all the dancers look great having fun. I know that Rachel Howard took acceptation to Danielle Rowe having the women wear pointe shoes while dancing a lot of non-balletic movements, but balletic steps are peppered throughout the choreography, so it didn't bother me as much.

The video is well shot and edited. Media production is credited to Reneff-Olson Productions (founded by siblings Alexander and Valentina Reneff-Olson - Alexander Reneff-Olson is a Corps dancer with SFB). There's never a point when the dancer's full bodies are not visible, and there are some changing points of camera view, but this is never done in a distracting manner. Kudos.

The recording of the instruments in the 1st Act was the only thing that was a little uneven. The piano was always easy to hear, but the violins were too muted, imo.

The stream has been divided into 2 programs at $35 a piece, or $65 for both. This is of course a donation to get the Tahoe Dance Camp going on a permanent basis.

RECOMMENDED

Program A

https://themarsh.org/shows_and_events/marshstream/program-a-tdc/

Pas de Deux from
APPASSIONATA
Choreographed by Benjamin Millepied
Director of L.A Dance Project
Composer Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57 II. Andante con moto
Costume Design Alessandro Sartori
Original Lighting Design Lucy Carter
Pianist Natal’ya Feygina
JENNIFER STAHL | ULRIK BIRKKJÆR

Pas de Deux from
WITHIN THE GOLDEN HOUR
Choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon
Tony Award-winning Choreography &
Artistic Associate of the Royal Ballet
Composer Ezio Bosso
Costume Design Martin Pakledinaz
Original Lighting Design James F. Ingall
Violinist Laura Hamilton
Violist Katarzyna Bryla-Weiss
SARAH VAN PATTEN | LUKE INGHAM

Pas de Deux from
CHACONNE FOR PIANO & 2 DANCERS
Choreographed by Helgi Tomasson
Director of San Francisco Ballet
Composer George Frideric Handel
Chaconne in G major, HWV 435
Costume Design Sandra Woodall
Original Lighting Design Kevin Connaughton
Pianist Natal’ya Feygina
FRANCES CHUNG | WEI WANG

Waning Gibbous [World Premiere]
Choreographed by Andrea Schermoly
Resident choreographer of Louisville Ballet
Sponsored by Brian and Rene Hollins
Composer Edvard GriegPiano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16: II. Adagio
Costume Design Coming Soon
Lighting Design Jim French
SARAH VAN PATTEN | WEI WANG

PROGRAM B

https://themarsh.org/shows_and_events/marshstream/tdc-program-b/

Pas de Deux from Rodeo
FOUR DANCE EPISODES
Choreographed by Justin Peck
Tony Award-winning choreographer
New York City Ballet Resident Choreographer
Sponsored by Charles and Suzanne Thornton
Composer Aaron Copland
Co-Costume Design Reid Bartelme, Harriet Jung, Justin Peck
Original Lighting Design Brandon Stirling Baker

FRANCES CHUNG | JOSEPH WALSH

Pas de Deux from
SWAN LAKE
Staged after Petipa
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Costume Design Jonathan Fensom
Violinist Laura Hamilton
Violist Katarzyna Bryla-Weiss
Pianist Natal’ya Feygina

WANTING ZHAO | LUKE INGHAM

Pas de Deux from Testament
AMAZING GRACE
Choreographed by Dwight Rhoden
Founding Artistic Director & Resident Choreographer
of Complexions Dance Company
Composer Trad, Lyrics by John Newton
Costume Design Christine Darch
Original Lighting Design Michael Korsch

JENNIFER STAHL | ULRIK BIRKKJÆR

AND IT WILL
Choreographed by Danielle Rowe
(in collaboration with John-Paul Simoens & the dancers)
In loving memory of Jeremy Dossetter
Sponsored by Susan & David Dossetter
Music by Vulfpeck
Costume Design Emma Kingsbury

ANATALIA HORDOV | THAMIRES CHUVAS | NATHANIEL REMEZ
CAVAN CONLEY | JAHNA FRANTZISKONIS

Edited by pherank