This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vail 2021 closing night: live stream on YouTube

California

Vail just sent out this email announcing a live stream of tonight's final performances on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyABGlHPXM

a9ea7e58-5eb9-02f5-aeb8-7a6e63e8c5b9.jpg
Catch the energy and excitement of the Festival from the comfort of your home! For the first time ever, we'll be livestreaming tonight's performance. Tune in at 7:30pm MT. The stream is free and will be available for one week following the performance. Click the button below to set a reminder!
YOUTUBE LIVESTREAM
10 hours ago, California said:

Vail just sent out this email announcing a live stream of tonight's final performances on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyABGlHPXM

Thanks, California. Watching "from the comfort of my home" seems like a good thing in this case. This type of gathering ("at-or-near 100% with no social distancing" or mask requirements) could easily prove to be a super spreader event. Many professional dancers have been vaccinated at this point - it's the audience members that I wonder and worry about.

Edited by pherank

Watched the first half of the above referenced Vail 'all premieres' progamme and really enjoyed it.  Glorious to see Robbie Fairchild back on a ballet stage (dare I say where he belongs?) and paired again with the wonderful Unity Phelan in the opening Whiteside - 'A Perpendicular Express'.  It veritably prances; gambolling with as many de facto references to Hungarian folk dance as to the swish, swagger, stalk and flounce of Balanchine.  This wittily administers such a glorious uplift I just had to watch it a second time.  Refreshing indeed.  Well worth the standing ovation that the dedicated (and capacity) Vail audience gave it.  Boylston also radiates jubilance here.  Lovette and Lil Buck poignantly mash bouree with moonwalk in their 'Until We Meet Again' and the very young Mira Nadon mesmerises in Tiler Peck's haunting 'And So' to a persuasive new score by Caroline Shaw.  The obvious influence of the mighty Woetzel - the Nijinksy/Kirstein combo of our times - is obviously having a persuasive effect on Roman Mejia's ever prevailing dynamism.  His is one that does not need to shout.  It merely is ... and only ever seems to bud in its euphoric vigour.  

Edited by meunier fan

I watched the first three numbers and enjoyed Whiteside's the most. The choreography wasn't groundbreaking but it was whimsical and entertaining, and a solid technical showcase. I tried to like the Lovette and Lil Buck number but found it a snooze. I've seen Lil Buck live and he's at his best when he's in full-on "jookin" mode... this was just too slow and the music wasn't particularly danceable. Tiler Peck showed a lot of promise with her choreography chops in the men's ensemble section of her piece. Roman Mejia and Christopher Grant really shined. But the Mira Nadon section got repetitive and I hated the vocal music. 

Thankful that Vail aired this for free. They did a good job with the camera work and editing, especially considering it was a livestream. I'm jaded on filmed dance though and can't wait to see these dancers live again. 

Just watched the new Peck PDD, ‘Bloom’ in the second part of Vail’s NOW PREMIERE’s programme.  (I should be working but couldn’t resist.)  I predict this will become every bit as much international balletic standard gala fare as Balanchine’s Tschai Pas – which both ‘Bloom’s music and choreography quote - has been for decades.  I - for just one I'm sure - can't wait to see it live.  Assuredly I bet this will soon be part of the established NYCB rep with resplendent justification.  The phantasmagorical score by the very talented Caroline Shaw springs forth as if the glories of Tchaikovsky had been passed through a Copeland strain and moistened with Shaw’s own key dramatic salt.  Peck’s choreography – here created for two internationally loved senior ballet artists – Tiler Peck and Hermann Cornejo – is not only reminiscent of the 20th Century Ballet Master in whose shadow he was wrought but one where the prism is cut through with notations to De Mille, Tudor and Robbins.  What a gift!  This is American balletic artistry edging towards its pinnacle.  How fortunate we are to be able to gaze upon the original creative/creators’ impulse of this rapture.  This is a sorely needed gift for our troubled times.  Thanks so, Mr. Woetzel, for your extraordinary vision in making this all come together.  You and your entire team are visionaries to venerate. Together you champion humane wonder; animate heartfelt bliss.  

Edited by meunier fan