This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, July 25

dirac

The Royal New Zealand Ballet's Ana Gallardo Lobaina talks about her Sunday routine.

Saturday is the day I would go out for dinner or to a movie, Sunday is more like meal prep, shopping, sewing and gluing pointe shoes. That’s my second half of Sunday. My first half, I go to brunch. If I’m working on Sundays, I actually look forward to it. It’s really satisfying when you get to the stage, and you hear what you make people feel, it’s beautiful. You feel like you have a life purpose.

A look at Megan Abbott's new book, "The Turnout."

The Turnout focuses on sisters Dara and Marie Durant who, along with Dara’s husband Charlie, run the Durant School of Dance following the accidental death of their parents. There are already tensions between the three of them when they hire a contractor, Derek, to do building renovations. Derek is a classic alpha male, a macho and confident juxtaposition to the delicate and thoughtful world of dance as he struts around the place. When Derek and Marie form an inevitable and dubious bond, things go from bad to worse for everyone, leading down a classic noir trajectory that takes in lies, deceit, lust, violence and eventually murder.

An interview with Carlos Acosta by David Jays in The Sunday Times.

What happens to a dancer when the spring in their step turns to autumn? When they begin to ache in the places where they used to play? It was once commonplace for a classical dancer’s career to end abruptly — packed off to the glue factory or nudged into teaching. Only rare talents such as Margot Fonteyn — a prima ballerina into her sixties — or Rudolf Nureyev — magnetic despite age and illness — retained the spotlight and sealed a place in audience hearts.

American Ballet Theatre photo gallery.

American Ballet Theatre's summer tour concluded on Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at Rockefeller Center, the site where the dance troupe first performed in 1940. The live performance was the first in New York since the pandemic and the finale of a 3,100-mile cross-country tour inspired by ABT's tours of the 1940s and 1950s. The Ballet Theatre was founded in 1939 and is one of the most famous classical ballet companies in the world.