This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Arizona 2021-2022 season

Ballet Arizona has announced their 2021-2022 season: https://balletaz.org/2021-2022-season/

PHOENIX – Ballet Arizona is proud to present its momentous 2021-2022 season, celebrating a revival from the pandemic and overcoming the pause in arts programs across the nation. The season will mark the 36 th year for Arizona’s official ballet company as well as the first full lineup after the pandemic.

The new season will kick off Oct. 29-31, 2021, with Contemporary Moves. Three ballets that shine the spotlight on masterful and diverse choreography, music and tone from celebrated choreographers: Justin Peck, Sir Frederick Ashton, and Ballet Arizona’s own Nayon Iovino.

Rejoicing in the spirit of the holidays, Ballet Arizona’s famous performance of The Nutcracker will take place Dec. 10-24, 2021 in Symphony Hall. Live music from The Phoenix Symphony will help bring the enchantment and splendor of The Nutcracker to life, alongside Ballet Arizona Artistic Director Ib Andersen’s dazzling choreography. Ballet Arizona’s production has been named “among the top three in the country” by The New York Times. The Nutcracker is sponsored in part by Pivotal Foundation | F. Francis and Dionne Najafi.

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Romeo and Juliet, choreographed by Andersen with the lush score by Sergei Prokofiev played by The Phoenix Symphony, will bring the star-crossed lover’s story to Symphony Hall February 10-13, 2022. With its sweepingly regal ballroom scenes, vivacious swordplay and poignant pas de deux, Andersen’s production is a visual tour de force.

The All Balanchine program will present three ballets by renowned choreographer George Balanchine and staged by Andersen, who is one of a handful of artists worldwide authorized by The Balanchine Trust to stage the late choreographer’s masterpieces. The lineup includes performances such as Serenade and the Arizona premiere of Bourrée Fantasque March 24-27, 2022 at the Orpheum Theatre.

Ballet Arizona will bring to life Andersen’s innovative choreography with the music of iconic Mexican singersongwriter Juan Gabriel’s performance from the Palacio de Belles Artes with Juan Gabriel. This world premiere performance May 5-8, 2022, pays homage to the legendary entertainer who captured the hearts of millions worldwide and whose works have transcended generations. Juan Gabriel is produced by Jacquie and Bennett Dorrance.

Ballet Arizona’s annual tradition An Evening at Desert Botanical Garden will conclude the 2021-2022 season May 17-June 2, 2022. Inspired by his 2016 world premiere, Round, Andersen plans to revisit this unparalleled work with re-imagined choreography that embraces and showcase

•  
  •  
Edited by California
clarification

My old eyes need to restructure the information.   😉
I'm not crazy about the Ballet Arizona website's information design. They could definitely present content in a clearer, easier to access manner.

Contemporary Moves: An Evening of Three Ballets
October 29-31; November 5-7, 2021

In Creases
Choreography by Justin Peck
Music by Philip Glass

Les Patineurs    
Choreography by Sir Frederick Ashton
Music by Giacomo Meyerbeer

Mambaz
Choreography by Nayon Iovino
Music by Josiel Perez and Company

The Nutcracker
December 9-24, 2021 [Note that one of the pages says December 10-24]
Choreography: Ib Andersen
Music: Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky

Romeo & Juliet
February 10-13, 2022
Music: Sergei Prokofiev

All Balanchine
March 24-27, 2022

Slaughter on Tenth Avenue    
Bourrée Fantasque    
Serenade    

Juan Gabriel
May 5-8, 2022
Music: Danced to a recorded production of Juan Gabriel’s performance at Palacio de Bellas Artes

An Evening at Desert Botanical Garden
May 17 – June 4, 2022

Apologies! I should have edited that press release to break it up into paragraphs. Thanks for reformatting.

I was so impressed with the digital offerings of this company in the past year, I'd be tempted to visit if they did a Balanchine festival. But I don't think I want to travel to see the pieces they are doing in February in their All-Balanchine program. A Bournonville festival would also attract out-of-towners, but that might not be feasible with their local audience.

I fixed the dates for All Balanchine, which is in March (24-27) at the Orpheum Theater.  It's sad for me that since BA lost a performance, and All Balanchine moved from June to May  that they lost live music for it, even though it remained at Symphony Hall until this coming season. (I'm not sure if this was co-incidence or because of the schedule change.).

Now it's moved to the smaller Orpheum, and it's rare to have live music at the Orpheum.  I once heard a pianist play for Andersen's Shostakovich work, and they may have had a few musicians p!ay, which I thought worked really well for PNB's digital season, but it was Bouree Fantasque at ABT was what grabbed me for Balanchine.  I was in college when the PBS series aired, or it would have happened before, but La Sonnambula just didn't do it for me as an intro.  The rare live performances I saw growing up were at ABT, but mostly full-lengths, and I'd never seen Theme there. If I feel safe travelling next March, I'd go to Phoenix just to see that ballet again.  The world premiere in May is a draw for me, too.