This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, June 27

dirac

A review of the Royal Ballet by Lyndsey Winship in The Guardian.

Act three of Sleeping Beauty (performed as a standalone finale, making this a long evening), had a reduced cast but it didn’t dent the star billing, ever-perfect Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov, nor Meaghan Grace Hinkis’s noteworthy Princess Florine: animated, technical, musical. Meanwhile, the opener, Anemoi, was reworked at the last minute by Valentino Zucchetti. Expanded from his lockdown piece Scherzo, made for the company’s corps de ballet, the new title refers to the wind gods of Greek myth, and there is an almost visible breeze brushing through the deftly written choreography. Zucchetti favours modest, elegant geometry over the hyper-extended shapes of contemporary ballet and there are some lovely moments where your eyes alight on a particular tableau before everything moves off again.

A story on the shoemakers of Freed of London.

The training for the role is mostly done on the job. Prospective makers apprentice with Freed and are taught the basics of shoemaking.

At first, very little of what they produce is usable, but some take to the job with ease. "It came naturally to me," Taksim Eratli, who's known as the "anchor maker" and been with Freed for 18 years, told Insider. "I would say it took me about six to eight months to master the making."