This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2021-2022 Season: Washington Ballet

48 minutes ago, ECat said:

Is it just me, or does the 2021-2022 rep seem a bit boring?  Perhaps one less full length and another mixed-bill.

That Swan Lake was in the works for a long time. If they looked at other options in DC next season, Giselle must have seemed like it had great potential as a safe money-maker after the long drought of serious revenue. Not something I'd jump onto an airplane to see, but still...

14 hours ago, California said:

That Swan Lake was in the works for a long time. If they looked at other options in DC next season, Giselle must have seemed like it had great potential as a safe money-maker after the long drought of serious revenue. Not something I'd jump onto an airplane to see, but still...

Good points for sure!   I hope that their rep brings in the revenue that they are hoping for.  But I do agree that nothing they're performing warrants a plane trip.

I went to their season opener, which was actually a fundraiser rather than a formal performance (the cheapest tickets were $80). It was held in an unlikely place: the National Building Museum. The program consisted of various excerpts with only 1 full dance: a roughly 15-minute long effort from one of their dancers, Andile Ndlovu (it was surprisingly sophisticated coming from a beginning choreographer). Since the program was only available via a QR scan and I didn't have time before the show to scan it in owing to malfunctioning credit card reader, I didn't bother to make any mental notes about the performance since I was too far from the stage to recognize most of the dancers (whom I hadn't seen for almost 2 years), other than that a studio company member named Rench Soriano was impressive in the Flames of Paris pas de deux, showing extreme athletic ability. The one item that some people might be interested in is that Rolando Sarabia has retired (and is now the AD at the Roanoke Ballet Theater).

Like YouOverThere, I too was at Thursday night’s performance and had trouble accessing the program.  I understand the reasons for digital programs, but at a minimum the cast should be posted on a board (one can at least take a picture of that) and the program should be available online afterwards.  Thankfully, I see TWB has done the latter:  https://www.washingtonballet.org/events/opening-performance-celebration.  Hope this is helpful!