This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, June 2

dirac

A review of Ballet Pécs by Graham Watts for Bachtrack.

The Bartók Spring International Arts Week commemorated the 140th anniversary of the Hungarian composer’s birth with a packed programme that included this world premiere of Balázs Vincze’s Vasarely Etudes for Ballet Pécs. It celebrates the leader of the Op Art movement, Victor Vasarely (born in Pécs as Győző Vásárhelyi), commemorating both the 45th anniversary of the Vasarely Foundation and 60 years since the formation of Ballet Pécs. 

Boston Ballet's Nutcracker returns to the live stage in November.

“It’s like a whole renaissance, a new world,” says Boston Ballet artistic director Mikko Nissinen. As he prepares to begin his third decade leading Boston Ballet next season, Nissinen sums up the excitement many in the arts world are feeling about a return to live performance. “Nobody knows exactly how, but people are going to be bursting with positivity and openness. I hope people have learned what it means when you lose something like live performance. We are very excited about the restart.”

A Pride Q&A with Houston Ballet corps member Jack Wolff.

What do you think dance will look like in 10 years?

I feel that within the next 10 years, we will be growing to tell [more] gay, lesbian, trans, and queer stories through the art of dance. And I hope I get to be a part of that representation on stage, to show that not everyone’s dream fantasy is the straight Cinderella-type story. I hope to see a male protagonist find his Prince Charming, and portray that story through dance.