This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Deirdre Carberry

I marvel that just when I might lapse into the thought that "I have seen it all", especially through the rude awakening and smog of Covid, that within this glorious art form, another posting comes along -- this time from the most perceptive al.longe on Instagram -- that alas, I have been "born again" as I view the exquisite talent of Deirdre Carberry in a 1989 clip of Who Cares with Mikhail Baryshnikov. How is that there can be this infinite spectrum of signatures and color among the artists who populate this realm? How can such a thing be?! Why, dance seems a kind of diamond whose parameters defie finite measurement. That intangible but O so palpable AND decidedly unique facet that each dancer brings to the stage that when discovered has me ablaze with the joy and wonder of the art form and as if for the "very first time" and all over again. Deirdre Carberry ! How sumptuous, how rich, was her contribution . And yet, I had not known of her. And so, I am now off the sofa and on a mission to find out more about this wonderful artist ! O pour la beaute infinie la danse !

Edited by altongrimes
18 minutes ago, altongrimes said:

I marvel that just when I might lapse into the thought that "I have seen it all", especially through the rude awakening and smog of Covid, that within this glorious art form, another posting comes along -- this time from the most perceptive al.longe on Instagram -- that alas, I have been "born again" as I view the exquisite talent of Deirdre Carberry in a 1989 clip of Who Cares with Mikhail Baryshnikov. How is that there can be this infinite spectrum of signatures and color among the artists who populate this realm? How can such a thing be?! Why, dance seems a kind of diamond that defies finite measurement. That intangible but O so palpable AND decidedly unique facet that each dancer brings to the stage that when discovered has me ablaze with the joy and wonder of the art form and as if for the "very first time" and all over again. Deirdre Carberry ! How sumptuous, how rich, was her contribution . And yet, I had not known of her. I am now off the sofa and on a mission to find out more about this wonderful artist ! O pour la beaute infinie la danse !

Not sure if this is the same thing, but this clip of Carberry and Baryshnikov is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHWddEiMdt0

She is now an Associate Professor of Dance at the University of Cincinnati: https://researchdirectory.uc.edu/p/carberde

Edited by California
On 5/31/2021 at 7:11 PM, ABT Fan said:

Oh, that Paquita video brought back memories! I had that VHS tape of this performance and must have watched it a million times growing up. 

Me, too!  I grew up on that and the VHS of Don Quixote with Baryshnikov and Cynthia Harvey.    To me, that will always be my favorite Don Q!