This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, May 20

dirac

A review of English National Ballet and the Royal Ballet by Louise Levene in The Financial Times.

Meanwhile, two postcodes away, Covent Garden was presenting its own quadruple bill of 21st-century dance, beginning with Christopher Wheeldon’s celestial In the Golden Hour. This seamlessly crafted 2008 ballet blends classroom steps with a magpie mix of styles in which goofy, flex-footed lifts resolve into perfect arabesques the instant those satin toes reclaim the floor. A strong cast led by Vadim Muntagirov and Anne Rose O’Sullivan made light work of their joyous, inventive pas de deux and soloists Leo Dixon and David Yudes were an unlikely but flawless pairing in their buoyant double act.

An interview with Darcey Bussell.

Darcey Bussell peers down her phone, hair tugged back in a ponytail, looking simultaneously cool and frazzled. There are just weeks to go until the British Ballet Charity Gala at the Royal Albert Hall in London, which she hopes will raise spirits and some money for struggling dance companies. The pressure is mounting. “I probably didn’t know what I was getting myself into,” she says with a laugh.

An interview with new Royal Ballet principal Fumi Kaneko.

Coming to Britain alone was not easy, Kaneko said, as she recounted how she underwent two surgeries due to serious injuries she sustained that forced her to stop training for a period.

"It was a long road but I hope that by coming this far, I can give hope to people who are thinking about doing their best," she said.