This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Carla Fracci 1936-2021

Profoundly saddened by this news. Fracci was one of the first truly great ballet artists I saw dance and my memories of her performances are among those I most cherish--and most advert to in my mind. Like others, I have been spending time watching video of Fracci dancing--in every way, she belongs to ballet's pantheon...

Rest in Peace, Carla Fracci. How I wish I’d had the privilege to see her perform. I was struck that she danced with the exquisite Roberto Bolle who is 29 years her junior, who I saw for the first time in London in Manon Fall 2019. I, too, am viewing Ms Fracci’s work on YouTube.  She had a beautiful line and a gorgeous technique. So sad to know she is gone. 

Memories of Ms. Fracci dancing with Nureyev in Romeo and Juliet at Teatro alla Scala, and the unforgettable Tableau Vivant of Dame Margot and Carla paying artistic homage to the origin of ballet during the Italian Renaissance. Riposare in Pace bella gentildonna.