This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, May 4

dirac

Q&A with Sofia Coppola and Justin Peck about the movie directed by Coppola for New York City Ballet.

How much homework did you feel you needed to do to understand each dance piece?

I actually didn’t want to prepare too much, because I wanted to approach the dance in a fresh way. But Jon, Wendy and Justin all talked to me about the history of each piece — when they were made and what the choreographers might have been thinking. I also learned a lot about Robbins from Jean-Pierre Frohlich, and what certain gestures meant in the “Dances” solo. I wanted to try to give each piece a different visual personality, and we found that together I think.

Obituaries for and appreciations of Jacques d'Amboise.

An appreciation by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

The New York City Ballet legend, who went on to form National Dance Institute, lived to the fullest — and danced with that same spirit.

NPR

We take a moment to look back at the career of dancer Jacques d’Amboise, who died Sunday at age 86 in his Manhattan home following complications from a stroke. His work with the New York City Ballet, on film and in public schools, brought dance to new heights.

Times Square Chronicles

In the early ’80s he decided to end his dance career. “I was almost 50, there were only a few roles left that I could do. I was waiting to go onstage, and I suddenly thought, I don’t want to go on. I danced, came off, took off my ballet shoes and quit.”