This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Liam Scarlett dead at 35

In the U.S., at least, a romantic relationship between a supervisor and a subordinate can lead to legal liability for the company. The possibilities for abuse of power in such relationships, not to mention plenty of other potential workplace problems, should be obvious. Employers absolutely have a right—in the U.S., at least—to require disclosure of or even prohibit such relationships.

18 hours ago, nanushka said:

Right, same in the U.S. But my question was whether employers in the UK have the right to (if they choose) require disclosure of relationships, or to prohibit relationships between supervisors and subordinates, as they do here. In other words, is it true that, as was stated above, relationships between employees are, legally, "absolutely...none of their [i.e. employers'] business" in the UK? That's what would surprise me.

That would be included in your contract of employment conditions.

1 hour ago, Mashinka said:

I personally, at the risk of being labelled a prude, strongly disapprove of sexual activity raking place either during working hours or on work premises.  What people choose to do outside the office and in their own time is no one else's business, above all not the employer's.

I absolutely agree with you.  It can be very uncomfortable for people's colleagues if there is public canoodling going on in work.

6 hours ago, Mashinka said:

I personally, at the risk of being labelled a prude, strongly disapprove of sexual activity raking place either during working hours or on work premises.  What people choose to do outside the office and in their own time is no one else's business, above all not the employer's.

Many years ago a colleague of mine came in on the weekend to discover another colleague and a staffer in flagrante delicto in his office. His chief complaint was that they used his office.  I don’t remember if they were reprimanded but I imagine they were. Everybody kept working.

18 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The Joffrey Ballet has programmed Scarlett's Frankenstein for next season, and also his Hummingbird. Considering that the company presents only three programs besides The Nutcracker, that's quite a lot of Scarlett.

https://joffrey.org/performances-and-tickets/23-24-season/frankenstein/

https://joffrey.org/performances-and-tickets/23-24-season/studies-in-blue/

There was also Scarlett on the menu this 2022-2023 season (Vespertine, a repeat from a few years ago).  Nice of them to contribute to keeping his legacy going, but I think it's too much for Chicago audiences, especially considering how few ballets are presented each season between Joffrey and touring companies.