This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Liam Scarlett dead at 35

15 hours ago, dirac said:

At the risk of going off thread, and with all due respect, the English clergy were up to the slavery traffic to their eyeballs. Others did preach and campaign against it. The abolitionists in the US were regarded as dangerous cranks, and talked of secession.

I hate to be a pedant but British clergy is a more accurate phrase.

19 hours ago, pherank said:

My apologies if this sound like I'm trying to educate anyone. I don't have the answers, and I'm trying to gain some understanding of the world around me, just like everyone else.

I thought your words were very reasoned.

I do not know how Liam Scarlett did or didn't behave but it was stated at the time the news first came out that no students under the age of 18 were involved so there was no criminality.

I've seen a number of loving and heartfelt tributes to Liam Scarlett on social media.  If the people who made those tributes had positive experiences and memories with Liam Scarlett then surely they are entitled to grieve for their friend?

The vast majority of articles I have read (and believe me I have read loads as I am doing the Links on the British forum this week) are basically identical as the media sources have just used the same AP release.  They all mention his dismissal from the Royal Ballet so it is not as though this aspect of his life has been ignored/swept under the carpet.

1 hour ago, JMcN said:

I hate to be a pedant but British clergy is a more accurate phrase.

[edited in my quote to save space - dirac]

The vast majority of articles I have read (and believe me I have read loads as I am doing the Links on the British forum this week) are basically identical as the media sources have just used the same AP release.  They all mention his dismissal from the Royal Ballet so it is not as though this aspect of his life has been ignored/swept under the carpet.

Not pedantic at all, JMcN, you're quite right and thank you. I blame Quiggin. :)

The NY Times plugged "sexual misconduct" in their obituary headline and the NYT obit is picked up by many other outlets, so no, this aspect is not being downplayed......

I am only now learning about his death, and it is all so utterly sad. His poor family. The whole situation is so sorrowful. Thanks, pherank, for posting the most recent piece of news.