This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mary Ellen Moylan RIP

I missed this, pherank. Thank you very much for posting. I would hope that at some point New York City Ballet will make an announcement or an acknowledgment of some kind, even though she was never a City Ballet dancer.  She deserves it.

Moylan may well have been the last survivor from Balanchine's companies of the forties. I really enjoyed her contributions to "Six Balanchine Ballerinas." So sorry to hear she had dementia. RIP.

However, it seems to me that Marie-Jeanne was really "the first," at least in this country.

58 minutes ago, dirac said:

However, it seems to me that Marie-Jeanne was really "the first," at least in this country.

That makes me wonder if there were ever any official listings of the dancers participating in American Ballet/ American Ballet Caravan and Ballet Society.

Thank you @pherankfor drawing attention to this.  This video has footage of Mary Ellen Moylan dancing Sugar Plum Fairy and Sanguinic. It opens with Tallchief talking about her but also includes an interview with her. Likely others have seen this video--I'm quite sure I have--but this seemed an appropriate place to post again. I would have loved to see her dance! May she rest in peace-

On 4/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, pherank said:

That makes me wonder if there were ever any official listings of the dancers participating in American Ballet/ American Ballet Caravan and Ballet Society.

You might try some of the books about Balanchine. I Remember Balanchine,  an "oral biography" by Francis Mason, has interviews with 86 Balanchine dancers and associates going back to when he left Russia. It's not a complete listing of names, but can give you an idea of the principal dancers working with him during most periods of his career. Marie-Jeanne and Mary Ellen Moylan are both included.