This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RIP The Duke of Edinburgh - the funeral

We have threads for royal weddings and royal obsequies have their aesthetic interest as well. Discuss if you wish, with appropriate discretion and respect in the circumstances.

In this case I expect the widow to pull out all the stops. The soldiery in particular should be worth watching. 

The late Duke was not exactly the artistic type, but I have read that he wrote poetry, believe it or not.

On 4/10/2021 at 2:38 AM, canbelto said:

Apparently Prince Philip didn't want a big state funeral, so he's not going to get one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prince-philip-s-funeral-plans-released-will-lie-rest-windsor-n1263628

RIP to Prince Philip. He sure did inspire great episodes on The Crown. I always felt like their Philip episodes were the best.

Given that the UK is still in lockdown, albeit starting to ease slightly today, a full state funeral would not have been legal whether one was wanted or not.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:42 AM, JMcN said:

Given that the UK is still in lockdown, albeit starting to ease slightly today, a full state funeral would not have been legal whether one was wanted or not.

Thank you for the reminder, JMcN. Plainly, the last twelve months slipped my mind. :)

Even if he hadn't wanted one, I expect he'd get something on the more substantial side under normal circumstances even if not a fully-fledged state funeral. There is supposed to be a ceremonial procession that I assume will be televised - the service itself will be private.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:25 PM, volcanohunter said:

He was also an avid painter.

That I had heard also, and they look pretty good to this tin eye. 

The Duke of Edinburgh’s interests in the arts extended well beyond his own pursuits. He was a devoted patron, acquiring works by contemporary artists for the Royal Collection Trust, notably by British and Commonwealth artists including Barbara Hepworth, Mary Fedden, and Sidney Nolan, as well as ceramics by Austrian artist Lucie Rie. He was also known for his collection of political cartoons. 

13 hours ago, dirac said:

Thank you for the reminder, JMcN. Plainly, the last twelve months slipped my mind. :)

Even if he hadn't wanted one, I expect he'd get something on the more substantial side under normal circumstances even if not a fully-fledged state funeral. There is supposed to be a ceremonial procession that I assume will be televised - the service itself will be private.

We've just seen some of the details on the news.  There will be a small ceremonial procession within Windsor Castle, not on public view, but that will be part of the broadcast.  None of the Royal Family will be wearing military uniforms; everyone will be wearing masks and there will be no singing of hymns.  Due to UK bubbling arrangements the Queen may be sitting on her own but Prince Philip's Private Secretary may sit with her as he was part of the Windsor bubble.

I'm sure I heard that the funeral will be broadcast in the USA as well as here in the UK (and probably other countries too).

I think our lockdown arrangements for the past 13 months have been somewhat different to anything implemented in the USA.  Most people I know (including myself) talk about events that happened "last year" but actually mean 2019 as 2020 was basically lost!

I watched the service itself and found it quite beautiful in its austerity.

The sight of the Queen sitting so alone was heartbreaking and perhaps could also be taken as a remembrance for all the people who have died over the past dreadful year.

I agree. The camerawork was tactful (I was watching the BBC mostly)  and didn't cut to her too often.

I missed a full-bodied choir, but the singing was still impressive and filled the chapel beautifully, at least as far as one could tell from home. I liked the setting of Psalm 104 by William Lovelady, which I understand the Duke commissioned, and Britten's Jubilate. The Russian Kontakion of the Departed was, I assume, a nice nod to the Duke's Greek heritage.

I was confused a bit by the liturgy, which seems to have been tweaked and not so much for the better. Of course my copy of the Book of Common Prayer is quite old.

On a frivolous note, those pearls Kate was wearing were stunning while being appropriate to the occasion.