This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, March 24

dirac

An interview with Twyla Tharp by Jocelyn Noveck for Associated Press.

But the jewel is her archive, which spans her career, beginning with her experiments in modern dance from the '60s. She's shown dancing with Mikhail Baryshnikov, or working with him on “White Nights” with Gregory Hines. There are snippets from gems like the hugely popular “In the Upper Room,” a ballet set to the propulsive music of Philip Glass. Tharp began videotaping her work in 1968. “I have many many many thousands of hours of tape thoroughly documenting every piece I’ve ever made," she says, “because I am an art historian.”

Christine Joly de Lotbiniere and Pauline Smith of the Pacific Northwest Ballet costume shop discuss the challenges of pandemic working conditions.

CJdL: If something is not going to work as a digital performance, then [Artistic Director Peter Boal] is going to want to do something else. And he’s going to want to film it in two-and-a-half weeks.

PS: Sometimes there’s those moments where you feel like, oh, we’ll just throw it to them and they’ll be able to do it because they crank out everything and it’s always perfect all the time. So they think we’re used to six weeks and now we can do it in two and a half. No big deal. Once we are back to some sort of semblance of normalcy, I do not welcome these short turnarounds as the new norm.