This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Twyla Tharp documentary: "Twyla Moves" (American Masters-PBS)

What a wonderful documentary about her work and life. I especially enjoyed the extensive film of rehearsals making so many favorite pieces (Deuce Coupe, Push Comes to Shove, In the Upper Room, White Nights, much more). I also admired the courage of people over the years in commissioning her work (e.g., Robert Joffrey for Deuce Coupe). I will be watching this again and again. 

Availability probably varies around the country. My local PBS (RMPBS) has made the complete show available on streaming video to members.  My cable system lets you record yesterday's first showing. Worth looking for it.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:19 AM, California said:

What a wonderful documentary about her work and life. I especially enjoyed the extensive film of rehearsals making so many favorite pieces (Deuce Coupe, Push Comes to Shove, In the Upper Room, White Nights, much more). I also admired the courage of people over the years in commissioning her work (e.g., Robert Joffrey for Deuce Coupe). I will be watching this again and again. 

Availability probably varies around the country. My local PBS (RMPBS) has made the complete show available on streaming video to members.  My cable system lets you record yesterday's first showing. Worth looking for it.

I suppose that you could start the day with this documentary instead of a cup of coffee. I did today, but I don't drink coffee. It can still be seen where I live in Southern California on the PBS site until late in April.

One of the most impressive quotes was:

"I'm grateful to Misha [Mikhail Baryshnikov] who made the move to alter his life completely so that I could have the opportunity to work with him."

When you see him do one of his classical mega-spins in "Push Comes To Shove" and then snap his head backward almost to his shoulders you get a definite feel for what Twyla Tharp's about.

One of the most interesting moments for me was when she describes a series of speed of light movements as literal illustrations, somewhat like this....

'See my hand, it's flagging down a bus, there's my foot, I just slapped it against my leg, there it goes flying down the street....'

Her energy and surety are almost overwhelming. Her dances seem to involve everything that's possible. And somehow, as demanding and as untouchable as she appears, she's also quite loveable.