This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, March 18

dirac

A review of New York City Ballet in 'Stravinsky Violin Concerto' by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

Balanchine choreographed the Violin Concerto in D as part of NYCB’s Stravinsky Festival in 1972, a year after the composer’s death. He had used the music before for a ballet called Balustrade in 1941, but the new version was to be his definitive account of Stravinsky’s concerto. For the first aria, he chose a tall woman, Karin von Aroldingen and a man of similar height, Jean-Pierre Bonnefous; for the second aria, a petite woman, Kay Mazzo, and a tall man, Peter Martins. The height distinctions are usually followed in the ballet’s casting, though I vividly remember the Royal Ballet fielding Darcey Bussell and Sylvie Guillem (in the second aria) in 1992 – two tall, long-legged women challenging their partners to keep up with them.

PBS presents a new "American Masters" documentary on Twyla Tharp.

Related.

“This distance activation was the only way I was going to be working this year,” Tharp says she realized. “So it was like, ‘Okay, I’ll do your PBS show. But half of it is going to be new work.’ ”