This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ENERGY Review (Ballet Arizona)

I thought that the filming itself was meant to make it more energetic, but I thought the frequent cutting back and forth between the long shot, the one that is a bit closer, and the close-ups, was jarring.  Because they were wearing masks, the only way they could express themselves using their faces were through the eyes, and the camera was never on their eyes long enough to lock on them.  For me it needed to be more static to let the dancers' energy come through.

I appreciated the intro segments and the trailer for The Four Seasons, which will premiere at the Botanical Gardens.  I also found the corporate section really interesting, especially since Phoenix has a world class Opera (shared with Tucson) and Ballet company, and a superb symphony. It sounds more like they need businesses in the area to recognize and appreciate it, rather than create it, like in many cities have to.  And to fund it so that Ib Andersen has more than $1000 for scenes and costumes for a new ballet.

I really liked the dancing though, and I loved the music Iovino used for Abrarzo.  I hope to be able to see both works in person.  I would love to be able to see The Four Seasons, too.

There was a short trio at the 31" mark in the video, I think the last movement of Abrazo.  There were two women and a man.  One of the women looked like Spear.  Does anyone know who the other two dancers are?

I'm not so familiar with the dancers nor can I recall the trio you reference, but here is the casting for Abrazo - is this helpful?

1st Movement: Tiffany Chatfield, Eastlyn Jensen, Helio Lima, Alejandro Mendez, Ricardo Santos
2nd Movement: Katherine Loxtercamp, Alison Remmers, Ana Maria Spear, Serafín Castro, Alberto Morales Perez, Ethan Price
Tiffany Chatfield, Helio Lima
3rd Movement: Katherine Loxtercamp, Helio Lima, Ethan Price
4th Movement: All

Well, sorry for a VERY tardy reply, but in the spirit of cleaning up loose ends...

The two women are Anna Maria Spears and Alison Remmers. The man is Serafín Castro. (There were several trios; the only one with two women and one man started around 33' 30". Funny how with masks, some people I can recognize instantly, but others are much harder - and ballet's use of side-lighting sure doesn't help!)

Anna Maria is no longer with Ballet Arizona, but the other two definitely are. Alison was recently a very lovely Cousin in Romeo and Juliet, and, most recently, Serafin was in all three Balanchine pieces - Serenade, Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, and Bourrée Fantasque.

The photo below from Romeo and Juliet shows Alison (Cousin) and Serafin (Mercutio) on the left. Also shown are Katelyn May (Cousin), Ricardo Santos (Benvolio), and Leticia Ender (Cousin, from the Studio Company).

273910490_10159847190799938_890317941236

273910490_10159847190799938_890317941236

Edited by fiddleback
Fix bad photo link?

One other thing I should have thought of in posting the photo above...

Serafin (2nd from left), and Katelyn (center) happen to have been this year's (2022) recipients of BAZ's Hazel Hare award, which recognizes a male and female dancer whose spirit echoes the strength, dedication, and passion that Hazel exemplified throughout her entire life. In announcing the awards, AD Ib Andersen remarked "It's a privilege to work with people like this. Thank you for being who you are." They are both superb and dedicated dancers!

Hazel Hare was an amazing and accomplished woman, who was a long-time supporter of Ballet Arizona. When she passed away a few years ago, her bequest really put BAZ's endowment onto the map. In recognition of her gift, BAZ established an award in her name, which is awarded annually at the company's Gala.

Edited by fiddleback
Add dancer links...