This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, February 16

dirac

Q&A with Crystal Pite.

These big ballet companies don’t allow a lot of time for rehearsals. How did you cope?

I had just eight or ten weeks to work in, which is a pretty tight time frame, so I arrived with ideas. I had a basic structure and content, which included big chunks of choreography. I was able to work out group ensembles here in Vancouver, with students from the Arts Umbrella, which is a non-profit centre for youth arts education. I’ve been associated with Arts Umbrella for years, and I couldn’t have created my big pieces for the National Ballet of Canada, Royal Ballet and the Paris Opera Ballet without them. It was labour intensive. I came with the group choreography, but I built the solos and duets on the dancers themselves during rehearsals in Paris.

Colorado Ballet announces its 2021-22 season (scroll down).

On the upside, Colorado Ballet artistic director Gil Boggs last week announced a surprisingly normal-looking 2021-2022 artistic season. Banking on widespread vaccinations and public comfort with indoor events, Boggs said the state’s largest dance nonprofit would return to live, indoor performances at downtown’s Ellie Caulkins Opera House in the fall.