This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Australian Ballet Launches Global Live Stream Platform

Looks like The Australian Ballet with new Artistic Director David Hallberg is now starting to do live-streams of their performances to audiences all over the world. I believe they are one of the few companies that can perform right now. First show will be a gala program live on Sunday, Feb 28 and available to watch for 48 hours!

I'm really interested in seeing what David is doing with the company. Exciting, and nice to see something from a company we rarely get to see.

Link below for the news + tickets:

https://australianballet.com.au/the-ballets/LIVE-summertime-at-the-ballet

Some extra info from Australian Ballet:

"A link to watch the live stream will be emailed to you prior to the performance date.
There will be one link per ticket purchased and each link will permit only one device to stream the performance. This includes SmartTVs, so you can invite a group of friends and stream direct from your TV.
You will have up to 48 hours after the performance begins to access the live stream."

"The live stream of Summertime at the Ballet will be available to watch in real time on Sunday 28 February at 11.45am AEDT, or at your convenience for the following 48 hour period post the live stream.
The live stream includes pre-show entertainment and commentary exclusive to this event."

"The Summertime at the Ballet live stream is available to watch once only and within a single sitting.
The link to access the stream is available to view for 48 hours."

"Summertime at the Ballet is available to stream for the special introductory price of $25 per virtual ticket, with a 10% discount for subscribers."

I'm sure they will get some flack for allowing only 48 hours access to watch the performance a single time, given that an archived video could be streamed for an indefinite period of time. I'm not sure what their thinking is on this.

Edited by pherank

Different organizations have different approaches and policies, but I don't remember seeing any with unlimited viewing periods for paid content aside from subscription services, like Marquee TV, medici.tv, and Met Opera on Demand.  SFO streams archived videos for one weekend for free: if you want on demand vault streaming, you have to donate $75 or more.  Pacific Northwest ballet allows five days of streaming for each program, whether subscription or single ticket, except for Nutcracker, which was longer, with period based on ticket type.  Seattle Opera does the same for subscribers, at least, but then sells single tickets on demand, but also limited to a viewing period.  Cal Performances has a much longer viewing period for subscribers, pass holders, and single ticket buyers.  While they were on a paid model, Vienna State Opera, with an extensive vault, gavd subscribers 72 hours to watch each performance, with a few on demand performances each month, plus limited time to view single performances.  Ballet Arizona's period was less than 48 hours for paid content, and worth every dime.