This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021 Season

20 hours ago, vipa said:

I so want to see the Ernie and Bert version of After the Rain pas! What ever happened to the rest of that ballet? I've never seen it. As for Bransle Gay in Agon, I used to love Savannah Lowery. Her big, expansive style was great. I really miss her.

I saw Savannah Lowery's last performance with NYCB which included that role in Agon and the second lead in Concerto Barocco. She was so warm and expansive, dancing like a huge hug to the entire audience, just drinking the moment in. She was beautiful in the Bransle Gay. The trio has some tricky moments, too. I know there are a bunch of ballerinas who've been working on the main Agon ppd. Who besides Megan LeCrone dances that second woman's role? Who that's still in the company?

3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I saw Savannah Lowery's last performance with NYCB which included that role in Agon and the second lead in Concerto Barocco. She was so warm and expansive, dancing like a huge hug to the entire audience, just drinking the moment in. She was beautiful in the Bransle Gay. The trio has some tricky moments, too. I know there are a bunch of ballerinas who've been working on the main Agon ppd. Who besides Megan LeCrone dances that second woman's role? Who that's still in the company?

I believe Reichlen has danced it. And I think Miriam Miller. 

It would be nice to see someone besides LeCrone get a chance in the role this time, but it seems she's the only one cast. I also miss Savannah Lowery in the role. And I remember Ashly Isaacs blazing through it, alongside Joseph Gordon (can't remember who was the other guy with them), not too long ago.

A couple of very quick notes on last night's performance of the "Innovators & Icons" program (Andrea Miller's sky to hold, Sidra Bell's Suspended Animation, and Balanchine's Western Symphony) :

1) I liked Miller's sky to hold just fine, but I liked the music a lot more—so much so that I fired up my music streaming service of choice and searched for Lido Pimienta's music as soon as I got home, and I'm glad I did. (I'm listening to her album Miss Colombia while I type ...) Sebastian Villarini Velez replaced Taylor Stanley.

2) I loved Bell's Suspended Animation. I want to see it again, but alas it hasn't been programed for either the Winter or Spring 2022 Seasons.  Kudos to the costume shop for pulling off John Rogers' gloriously over-the-top creations. Also, Peter Walker was rocking a beard and a man bun and I am here for it. It totally worked with Rogers' demented hot pink version of a tri-corn hat.

3) I think Laine Habony stepped in for Ashley Bouder for the finale of Western Symphony? (It sure looked like her during the curtain calls ...) I hope nothing is amiss. 

1 hour ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

3) I think Laine Habony stepped in for Ashley Bouder for the finale of Western Symphony? (It sure looked like her during the curtain calls ...) I hope nothing is amiss. 

Tiler peck is on her insta saying she is subbing this week because of something that happened last night.

49 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

If Bouder is injured, Peck is probably subbing in for her Other Dances with Mejia on Thursday and Saturday

I hope to see Peck in OD!  Sorry if Bouder is injured.  I was so disappointed to see Bouder cast in OD this week.  I don't think she has the ethereal introspective quality that's under the surface in this ballet.

Oh that’s so sad re: Bouder.  I’ve noticed that she has been rather quiet on IG this season - usually she is much more active on there.  I saw her on the 23rd in Serenade and thought she was still working on getting back into performance shape.  It’s a hard road! 

1 hour ago, GB1216 said:

Oh that’s so sad re: Bouder.  I’ve noticed that she has been rather quiet on IG this season - usually she is much more active on there.  I saw her on the 23rd in Serenade and thought she was still working on getting back into performance shape.  It’s a hard road! 

Bouder looked a little out of shape on Tuesday evening, but otherwise seemed to be taking the role in stride and danced with her usual verve. I didn't notice any on-stage mishaps, but who knows what might have gone awry to keep her from coming back for the finale and sidelining her for the rest of the season. 

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

Well Tiler is amazing in Other Dances and she and Roman often dance together. I'm looking forward to it.

Tiler Peck is indeed amazing in Other Dancing. It is a perfect vehicle for her because there is so much space for musicality. I hope Bouder isn't injured, or if she is it is minor. What a bummer it would be to be injured just when the company is coming back.

I saw last night's performance. I didn't love the pairing of Reichlen and Ramasar in Monumentum/Movements. He was good on his own but Reichlen looked better in this when I saw her with La Cour. Can't quite put my finger on it but she didn't look as smooth as usual. Still an enjoyable performance though.

Rotunda was much better live than when I first saw it in the digital season (surprise surprise). I love how Peck has the men do 180-degree penchés --it  showed off Furlan's beautiful lines. He, Danchig-Waring, and Woodward looked great. Also Megan Fairchild was surprisingly good and filled a lot of space in the female solo part, which is so clearly tailored for Sara Mearns. And Gonzalo Garcia is looking fantastic in his second to last season. It's by no means a terrible ballet BUT the Nico Muhly music, which manages to be both chaotic and boring at the same time, does not work for me. I know choreographers want to be timely and original by using commissioned music, but this was not a success. Lastly, the warmup costumes. Some of them are better than others -- Woodward's and Phelen's were cute -- but I can't stand the purple unitard on Gilbert Bolden (so unflattering on his figure) and then the tights-over-leotard on Fairchild. At one point in the pas de deux, Bolden, in partnering Fairchild, accidentally rolled up her tights so they were even higher on her torso. Please keep this look inside the rehearsal room, not on the stage!

Chaconne was a treat. I know not everyone loves Mearns in this role but I thought she knocked it out of the park with the perfect combination of control and abandon. (She can do no wrong in my book.) Janzen was elegant and handled the tricky partnering well. He didn't have even close to the verve of Mearns though. I kept thinking about how great Anthony Huxley would look in the male lead role, since there's so much petit allegro. Maybe they'll do a short cast someday. Nice to see Harrison Coll back on stage. He was very good but could have pointed his toes more in the pas de deux. Baily Jones has excellent classical technique -- they seem to be priming her for Fairchild/Bouder types of roles. Her upper body could use some work though. 

Special shoutout to Ashley Hod in both Movements for Piano and Orchestra and Chaconne -- she's having an amazing season even when she's just in the background. 

On 10/13/2021 at 1:53 AM, Rock said:

I thought Miriam Miller did the PDD. She did both places?

I was wondering that, too. I've only seen Miriam Miller dance the first woman in Agon. I've only seen Teresa Reichlen dance the first woman as well. Maybe this was before my time. Maybe the poster is mistaken.

Unity has never done the lead in Agon at NYCB, to my knowlege. (I realize no one asked about her, I have no explanation...) She's done the ppd at Vail. With NYCB she dances the pas de trois with two women. The fanfare music is the same at the beginning of both sections, and perhaps for other sections as well. There's a lot of repeating music in Agon. I'd love to know who's working on these roles and with whom.

Ashley Laracey posted recently that she'd had a Midsummer coaching with Patricia Mcbride. Must be on Helena.

I thought Sara Mearns was perfectly glorious in Chaconne last night. I don't have the memory of other dancers in this piece the way some of you do, so I didn't miss any non-ethereal quality. She charged through in a blaze of sunlight and glitter (poetic license), with a joyous smile to fill the theatre. 

There were other standouts as well. So great to see Harrison Coll, for the first time in years, looking so strong and full of vigor. Olivia Boisson and Alexa Maxwell both looked good as the demisoloists (saw them in these roles last week as well). Boisson has a beautiful smile and a lovely, gracious presence. Maxwell looks like she's lost a ton of weight since before the pandemic. I guess I'll get used to it, but I thought she looked pretty good before too. In any case, she still dances with an assertive sprightliness and bright appeal to the audience. Finally, Emily Kikta. Kikta Kikta Kikta. So beautiful, so beguiling. More please.

I dozed off during Rotunda, and the M/M opener was a little dull compared to Mira Nadon's performance last week. 

29 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I thought Sara Mearns was perfectly glorious in Chaconne last night.

Yes, I agree completely.  The only reason that I bought this ticket was to see her in Chaconne and she was thrilling .  Janzen was also very good, but he does not have a go for broke approach like Mearns.

I would love to see Gordon take on the male lead in Chaconne someday. 

49 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I'm trying to figure out if Chaconne is on the schedule for Winter or Spring, but it's hard to find that information quickly on the website (unless I'm missing some season overview page). Does anyone know if it's coming back? It definitely should!

I don't think Chaconne is going in the Winter or Spring. I love the ballet and wish we had more Chaconne and less La Valse and Slaughter! On another topic, it will be interesting to see who is cast in  Swan Lake.

31 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think Unity is a definite for the lead debut in Swan Lake.

They already have so many ballerinas who do the role (Peck, Fairchild, Bouder, Mearns, Reichlin, Hyltin).

Agree about Unity. It also could be that one of the ladies on the list will drop it from her rep for any number of reasons. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

I'm trying to figure out if Chaconne is on the schedule for Winter or Spring, but it's hard to find that information quickly on the website (unless I'm missing some season overview page).

You're not missing anything! For some inscrutable reason, the powers-that-be have decided to move the links to the Fall, Winter, and Spring season calendars from the main Season & Tickets page to the Subscription Packages page where no one can find them. 🤷‍♀️ It's nice that each program in each season has its own page, but clicking through each one in turn is no way to get an overview of the season.

Another alternative: go to the repertory section and click on the ballet that you want to see. If it's been programmed for a current or future season, the performance dates will be listed there. For example, here's the page for Chaconne, which shows no performances listed for after the Fall 2021 Season. But here's the page for Rubies, which shows performances for both the Winter and Spring 2022 Seasons.