This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021 Season

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

I’ll resort to a ziplocked dinner if I must, but the snack bar sandwiches were pretty good, and very convenient when dashing over from work. I enjoyed occasionally getting there early and having the ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of wine while surveying the scene on the mezzanine. 

I miss dinners from Epicerie Boulud! I wish they'd bring back their evenings hours. I also found that Le Pain Quotidien closes early now, too. Any suggestions for other grab-and-go options in the immediate area? It's good to know that the bar at the theater isn't offering sandwiches.

Just now, fondoffouettes said:

I miss dinners from Epicerie Boulud! I wish they'd bring back their evenings hours. I also found that Le Pain Quotidien closes early now, too. Any suggestions for other grab-and-go options in the immediate area? It's good to know that the bar at the theater isn't offering sandwiches.

Breads Bakery stays open, but by the evening they have sold out of most things. 

Now that the opera house is open again, I'm not sure why the Epicerie continues to close at 4:30PM.   

3 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I actually have seen farewells where the body language between the AD and the retiree was so frosty that it would have been better not to show up. Veronika Part's was like that. Abi might have requested their absence.

Also Paloma Herrera’s.

I have to imagine that if Jonathan Stafford and Wendy Whelan were not there for Abi's farewell, that had to be at her request. I can't believe that company leaders, who are performers to boot, would not be present with flowers and smiles unless the honoree specifically requested them not to be. This is all very unfortunate. I was a fan of Abi's dancing, probably more so than others on this Board (this is beside the point, but I found her a much more interesting dancer than Jonathan was). But in recent years, it was clear her dancing had lost some steam. Unless she was able to significantly up her game, the right thing to do was retire. I hope she can see that. It would look bad for the AD to have his sister dancing at a level below most of the very capable, and ambitious, soloists. 

19 hours ago, canbelto said:

When Abi retired, Jon and Wendy did not come out and give her the traditional flowers. Jon and Wendy did do so for both Ask and Lauren, which makes me think Abi's retirement might not have been very cordial behind the scenes.

With all the masks are you certain they didn't come out? It can be hard to recognize people onstage masked.

Since there is no official news from either side or from a ballet professional speaking about it publicly under their own name, for the purposes of this board, we only know that Jonathan Stafford and Wendy Whelan didn't make a public-facing appearance, or at least one that was recognizable, for Abi Stafford's farewell and how we feel about that.

But until someone or someones make a statement, we don't know why.

There are a lot of aspects of law that are less pressure-filled than the big, prestigious law firms and many paths to follow for those with law degrees.  

41 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Back to NYCB -- got an email for Nutcracker tickets and uh ... sticker shock. Fourth Ring tickets START at $89

Yeah... no. This makes it easier for me to make a decision, especially since I have some doubt about the adorability factor with all the kids 12 or over. 

Hi all! I was at Friday night's performance and Lauren Lovette's farewell. 

As noted elsewhere, Friday night's La Valse was danced by Joe Gordon in place of Taylor Stanley, who looks to be out for the rest of the season (the good news was there was no boot or crutches in sight when he came out to give Lauren 🌸 🌹 Saturday). I love watching Taylor dance but Joe Gordon is my absolute favorite so I was not unhappy.  La Valse was a bit frenetic -- Marika Anderson stumbled and then fell, and there was a missing corps girl (as other commenters have noted) which was very odd. I've seen dancers leave and not come back, but not start the ballet at all without a replacement? Maybe others can shed light. I thought Andy Veyette was appropriately menacing. 

Other Dances: just a reminder that Tiler Peck is a genius of movement. 

After the Rain: I was in the minority thinking that this was not a successful version. Preston Chamblee seemed stiff to me and Lauren was so tiny in comparison (I don't care what she said in the NYT about "not dancing at 90" she is absolutely minuscule). I assume this is a ballet she's always wanted to do and they let her do it and cast her own partner, too. The crowd was in raptures, though, so maybe I was just comparing it unfavorably with Maria/Ask on opening night.

Agon was all about Maria and Amar. What joy to watch. I haven't seen Agon in a long time -- maybe the last time was when Peter kept casting Chase Finlay (!) in the PPD and he was not up to it. I would love to see another dancer in the Bransle Gay. I think I've only seen LeCrone and Emilie Gerrity do this part recently. 

Lauren's farewell was terrific. Again, Taylor Stanley had to bow out of Opus 19 but I loved seeing Joe Gordon and Lauren dance together one last time. They have incredible partner chemistry. I also think the Serenade performance was pretty spectacular -- I really like Emilie Gerrity as the dark angel. 

4 minutes ago, bellawood said:

After the Rain: I was in the minority thinking that this was not a successful version. Preston Chamblee seemed stiff to me and Lauren was so tiny in comparison (I don't care what she said in the NYT about "not dancing at 90" she is absolutely minuscule). I assume this is a ballet she's always wanted to do and they let her do it and cast her own partner, too. The crowd was in raptures, though, so maybe I was just comparing it unfavorably with Maria/Ask on opening night.

I am convinced that the crowd would be in raptures if Ernie and Bert from Sesame Street were performing the After the Rain pas. I'm so sick of it but people eat it right up every time.

5 hours ago, Helene said:

Since there is no official news from either side or from a ballet professional speaking about it publicly under their own name, for the purposes of this board, we only know that Jonathan Stafford and Wendy Whelan didn't make a public-facing appearance, or at least one that was recognizable, for Abi Stafford's farewell and how we feel about that.

But until someone or someones make a statement, we don't know why.

There are a lot of aspects of law that are less pressure-filled than the big, prestigious law firms and many paths to follow for those with law degrees.  

I don't think Abi Stafford has a public facing IG account (correct me if I'm wrong), so there will be no info on that front.

5 hours ago, mille-feuille said:

I am convinced that the crowd would be in raptures if Ernie and Bert from Sesame Street were performing the After the Rain pas. I'm so sick of it but people eat it right up every time.

I so want to see the Ernie and Bert version of After the Rain pas! What ever happened to the rest of that ballet? I've never seen it. As for Bransle Gay in Agon, I used to love Savannah Lowery. Her big, expansive style was great. I really miss her.

Thanks, Bellawood.  I agree all around.  I came up from Richmond, VA for a ballet blitz this weekend and had the pleasure of seeing all 4 shows starting Friday.  It was wonderful to see the company back and in great shape.  I had the privilege of seeing Moves in Vail, but this felt like a miracle return with the whole company and orchestra.  We are so lucky!!! The farewells were totally classy and unique to their respective artists.  And it was a privilege to see some of Maria’s “lasts.”  I’m getting choked up thinking about her Glass Pieces performance now.  I’m ebullient, but thanks to you all for your thoughtful notes here.  We are all better for it!

21 hours ago, mille-feuille said:

I agree.

I refer to After the Rain as a "Pretzel" ballet or "How many ways can I twist Wendy Whalen?"  I wish NYB would drop it.

2 hours ago, jerryb said:

I agree.

I refer to After the Rain as a "Pretzel" ballet or "How many ways can I twist Wendy Whalen?"  I wish NYB would drop it.

Maybe the cast and occasion make a difference? Yuan Yuan Tan and Damian Smith danced the pas at his farewell performance and it was lovely to see on every level.

1 hour ago, Balletwannabe said:

Hey now, I've never seen After the Rain!  Let us newbies enjoy it before suggesting they dump it 😆 I'll be seeing it Thursday (Unity debut I believe?)

I love After the Rain, practically every time. The rest of the ballet was quite different. I saw it years ago, but it's also possible that I get it confused with Wheeldon's Polyphonia. I think the costumes were similar to that ballet, three couples in dark wine, burgundy or purple, very different from the costumes for the pdd and the two sections do not share any dancers that I remember.

Edited by BalanchineFan