This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021 Season

10 hours ago, Rock said:

Did anyone see the Abi Stafford retirement program?

I did. It was really sweet. She got to dance the "bride" moment in Russian Seasons in place of Unity (who continues her superlative dancing this season), even though she was dancing the green girl during the rest of the ballet. (BTW, this must be a great role for Megan.) There was lots of enthusiastic applause for her and she was clearly touched. Her dancing was not great, but sometimes that's the way it goes -- we can't all be Joaquin deLuz going out with T&V. I forgot how much I like Russian Seasons, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea. I think Ratmansky does moments of comedy interspersed with moments of menace which you don't often see in other ballets (I'm thinking of non-story ballets). 

The rest of the program -- Joe Gordon debuted in Opus 19 which he handled beautifully. He's just such a pleasure to watch. The thing with Opus 19 is that there are several Opus leads in the company and I think Joe's rep is larger (or will be larger) than some other principals who dance it -- Taylor Stanley, for instance. If he's doing many of the white tight roles in a season I wonder if he will dance this at all frequently just to avoid overuse.  I think Jovani Furlan might be an Opus type. 

The middle ballet was the Amaria piece for Maria. Bigonzetti did the costumes himself which resulted in Amar dressed like he was running out for coffee on a Sunday morning. I don't think we will see this again after the fall.

Did KJ dance the Anthony Huxley role in PV?

17 minutes ago, bellawood said:

The middle ballet was the Amaria piece for Maria. Bigonzetti did the costumes himself which resulted in Amar dressed like he was running out for coffee on a Sunday morning. I don't think we will see this again after the fall.

Did KJ dance the Anthony Huxley role in PV?

I'm not very familiar with Pulcinella Variations, but yes, I believe it was the Huxley role. 

And agree about Amaria (I was there Saturday night). I didn't see the point of either of the boring, sloppy looking costumes, and the piece itself consisted mostly of acrobatic, contorted type lifting, showing off how flexible the woman is, how strong the man is, and how the clever the choreographer is in coming up with ingenious new lifts. No thanks. If NYCB really wants to honor these two retiring principals, how about putting out the video of a few fabulous past performances, like the pas de deux from Stravinsky Violin Concerto dated (if I have my notes right) May 9, 2015?

Fascinating casting.  I think they have always had high hopes for LaFreniere, but she was injured for so many years that she fell behind.  She was radiant in the first movement of Glass Pieces last night (as was Nadon).   Glad to see Mejia is also getting some new work to do.

I had never seen Chan before last night.  He's a keeper.  Beautiful dancer.

Loved Unity last week in Glass Pieces. 

Come on, announce some promotions already!!

Edited by abatt
12 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think they have always had high hopes for LaFreniere, but she was injured for so many years that she fell behind. 

She missed her debuts in both Firebird and Rubies due to injury. Both very heartbreaking, I was eager to see her in both. I can't remember what the situation was with Diamonds with Catazaro, which someone asked about above. I'm not sure that was ever scheduled in NY. 

17 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Also noticed this bit of casting in Maria's farewell:

SLAUGHTER ON TENTH AVENUE: Kowroski, T. Angle, la Cour, Mabie, Knight, Fahoury, Applebaum, Sanz

He's back after a week! Is that for the gunman? 

Yes, I think the second male name would be the Gangster...or would it be the Big Boss? I think la Cour has traditionally danced the latter role.

Edited by fondoffouettes
19 minutes ago, GB1216 said:

Is slaughter a role that Kowroski is known for? I always associate her more with diamonds and such. 

and also DGV? I’m assuming it was made on her.  

No.  DGV was originally made for the Royal Ballet.  I think Maria wants to make sure she pays tribute to Wheeldon, who played an important role in her career and gave her the opportunity to work with his company Morphoses during its brief  but glorious existence.

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, abatt said:

No.  DGV was originally made for the Royal Ballet.  I think Maria wants to make sure she pays tribute to Wheeldon, who played an important role in her career and gave her the opportunity to work with his company Morphoses during its brief  but glorious existence.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks for the context.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, sunsteph said:

Went to three nights at the New York City ballet in a row this week, starting with opening night. What a wonderful week!

I did notice a name missing from the corps roster - Eliza Blutt. She is a lovely young dancer who was doing some choreography as well. Does anyone know why she left,or where she went? I did not notice any other dancers' names missing from the previous corps.

Also, Ralph Ippolito chose to retire - apparently in March 2021.  According to LinkedIn, he is now at Tubi as a “Jr. Content Partnerships Coordinator” and has been working full time for them since March.

I was totally smitten with new soloist Chun Wai Chan on Tuesday night. I've scrutinized casting for the rest of the season hoping I could see him again, but it appears his only other role is in the new Miller piece. I probably won't see this program. Any of you who see it, tonight or later, please report back! I look forward to both Chan and Furlan, two beautiful dancers, being more incorporated into the rep. 

Faye Arthurs says in this review that Lauren King is retiring:

Unfortunately, “Symphony in C” is a one-off this season, and King retires in a few weeks. So this was her last time leading the charge in one of Balanchine’s most epic works. Well, she nailed her last hurrah. No Covid rust or return-to-the-stage nerves in sight. 

Living vicariously through everybody's reviews. I wish I lived closer to NYC so I could go to as many representations as possible.

Echoing what was said before, I cannot wait for some promotions. With the flurry of retirements, we certainly should get a handful soon. I've followed Phelan's career ever since her Corps days, and cannot wait for her to move on up. Same for Furlan, who I absolutely loved watching when I lived in Miami and could go to MCB shows. I love to read that he seems to be thriving at NYCB now.

Edited by sohalia
13 hours ago, mille-feuille said:

😭 I will miss her!

Me too! She was wonderful in that insane soloist role in PC2 in 2019. She's very assured on stage and can really project personality. Faye perhaps also foreshadowed other departures (I may be reading too much into her review)? I can imagine a scenario where dancers were holding on for one more performance this fall. 

22 hours ago, canbelto said:

Faye Arthurs says in this review that Lauren King is retiring:

I hope that Lauren King is moving onto something bigger and better in her life, but as a ballet fan, I'm sorry to hear this. She seems at the very top of her game. I was even harboring a hope she might get promoted to (perhaps short tenure) principal! There are several other female soloists in their late 30s who are also looking excellent. 

47 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I hope that Lauren King is moving onto something bigger and better in her life, but as a ballet fan, I'm sorry to hear this. She seems at the very top of her game. I was even harboring a hope she might get promoted to (perhaps short tenure) principal! There are several other female soloists in their late 30s who are also looking excellent. 

She's on permanent faculty at SAB, so I am hoping that her plan is to stay around.