This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021 Season

More casting courtesy of Instagram:

UmdNkJz.png

That feels like a lot of Western Symphony for Lauren.

Casting I'm interested in for the first week is the Saturday matinee: PULCINELLA VARIATIONS: *Adams, M. Miller, Phelan, Hod, *E. Von Enck, *Chan, Applebaum, Coll, *Takahashi pause GLASS PIECES: *Nadon, *Sanz, *LaFreniere, *Riccardo, Habony, Chamblee, Reichlen, Janzen

I would be very interested to see Chun Wai Chan dance (he posted video partnering Miriam Miller, is he tall?) and I think KJ Takahashi is a very dynamic young dancer. I am also glad to see Isabelle LaFreniere get featured in Glass Pieces first movement. I don't have tickets and have to go to a little league game instead so I hope someone will report back!

I'm going opening night, very thrilled -- though I don't really understand why Megan LeCrone is first cast Serenade.

I'm also excited to see Joe Gordon premiere in Opus 19. 

4 hours ago, abatt said:

For me the most interesting casting for week 1 is Gordon in Opus 19. 

I have no recollection of ever seeing Tiler Peck in Opus, 19, but I'm sure she will be fantastic in the role that I associate so closely with Wendy Whelan.

She used to dance it with Robbie Fairchild -- at least, that's the last time I saw her dancing it. So, it's been a minute. I've never seen Lauren Lovette dance it; the last few times it has been either Sterling or Unity Phelan, I think. 

Also, week 2 casting is up: 

NEW YORK CITY BALLET PRINCIPAL CASTING FOR SEPTEMBER 28-OCTOBER 3, 2021

TUESDAY EVENING, SEPTEMBER 28, 7:30PM (Conductor: Otranto) SERENADE: Mearns, M. Fairchild, Gerrity, la Cour, Chamblee pause PULCINELLA VARIATIONS: Adams, M. Miller, Phelan, Hod, E. Von Enck, Chan, Applebaum, Garcia, Takahashi pause GLASS PIECES: Nadon, Sanz, LaFreniere, Riccardo, Habony, Chamblee, Reichlen, Janzen

WEDNESDAY EVENING, SEPTEMBER 29, 7:30PM (Conductor: Sill) OPUS 19/THE DREAMER: Hyltin, Gordon [Solo Violin: Nikkanen] pause NEW BIGONZETTI: Kowroski, Ramasar [Solo Piano: Baldwin] pause RUSSIAN SEASONS: Phelan, Pazcoguin, M. Fairchild, King, Segin, Anderson, Danchig-Waring, Sanz, Walker, Alberda, Villarini-Velez, Hoxha [Solo Violin: Nikkanen]

THURSDAY EVENING, SEPTEMBER 30, 7:30PM 2021 FALL FASHION GALA GLASS PIECES: Hod, Applebaum, Adams, Walker, Dutton-O’Hara, Alberda, Kowroski, Ramasar [Conductor: Otranto] pause NEW BELL – WORLD PREMIERE: *Reichlen, *M. Fairchild, *Nadon, *LeCrone, *Kikta, *LaFreniere, *Ball, *Huxley, *Walker, *Henson, *Grant, *Takahashi [Conductor: Litton] pause NEW MILLER – WORLD PREMIERE: *Gerrity, *Mearns, *Kretzschmar, *Smith, *Bradley, *Bologna, *Dutton-O’Hara, *Woodward, *Stanley, *Chan, *Riccardo, *Read, *Fahoury, *Villarini-Velez, *Alberda, *Chamblee [Conductor: Litton]

FRIDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 1, 8:00PM (Conductor: Litton) NEW MILLER: Gerrity, Mearns, Kretzschmar, Smith, Bradley, Bologna, Dutton-O’Hara, Woodward, Stanley, Chan, Riccardo, Read, Fahoury, Villarini-Velez, Alberda, Chamblee pause NEW BELL: Reichlen, M. Fairchild, Nadon, LeCrone, Kikta, LaFreniere, Ball, Huxley, Walker, Henson, Grant, Takahashi pause WESTERN SYMPHONY: King, la Cour, *Lovette, Ramasar, *Kikta, Veyette

SATURDAY MATINEE, OCTOBER 2, 2:00PM (Conductor: Litton) NEW MILLER: Gerrity, Mearns, Kretzschmar, Smith, Bradley, Bologna, Dutton-O’Hara, Woodward, Stanley, Chan, Riccardo, Read, Fahoury, Villarini-Velez, Alberda, Chamblee pause NEW BELL: Reichlen, M. Fairchild, Nadon, LeCrone, Kikta, LaFreniere, Ball, Huxley, Walker, Henson, Grant, Takahashi pause WESTERN SYMPHONY: King, la Cour, Lovette, Ramasar, Kikta, Veyette

SATURDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 2, 8:00PM (Conductor: Sill) OPUS 19/THE DREAMER: Lovette, Stanley [Solo Violin: Nikkanen] pause NEW BIGONZETTI: Kowroski, Ramasar [Solo Piano: Baldwin] pause RUSSIAN SEASONS: Hyltin, Mearns, Laracey, Woodward, Maxwell, Habony, Stanley, Veyette, Gordon, Zuniga, Villarini-Velez, Fahoury [Solo Violin: Nikkanen]

SUNDAY MATINEE, OCTOBER 3, 3:00PM (Conductor: Litton) NEW MILLER: Gerrity, Mearns, Kretzschmar, Smith, Bradley, Bologna, Dutton-O’Hara, Woodward, Stanley, Chan, Riccardo, Read, Fahoury, Villarini-Velez, Alberda, Chamblee pause NEW BELL: Reichlen, M. Fairchild, Nadon, LeCrone, Kikta, LaFreniere, Ball, Huxley, Walker, Henson, Grant, Takahashi pause WESTERN SYMPHONY: King, la Cour, Lovette, Ramasar, Kikta, Veyette

* First Time in Role PROGRAM AND CASTING SUBJECT TO CHANGE (09/15/21)

It's always so interesting to see the casting. It looks like Unity Phelan and Emily Kikta are taking over for Maria in Glass Pieces (as a general rule).  I'm excited to hear about this new Bigonzetti duet. I'm betting they'll include it in the Kowroski Farewell.

Where is Roman Mejia? I was hoping he would do at least some of the Western Symphony performances, particularly after he and Teresa Reichlen lit the place on fire during the digital season. I hope he's not injured. 

1 hour ago, BalanchineFan said:

It looks like Unity Phelan and Emily Kikta are taking over for Maria in Glass Pieces (as a general rule).  

Where is Roman Mejia

Same question about Mejia!

Where are you seeing Kikta in Glass Pieces? Unless I’m reading something wrong I don’t see it on the casting sheet, but if she’s in there I want to know when so I can get a ticket!

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

Same question about Mejia!

Where are you seeing Kikta in Glass Pieces? Unless I’m reading something wrong I don’t see it on the casting sheet, but if she’s in there I want to know when so I can get a ticket!

My mistake. Kikta is dancing Western Symphony, last movement. Gerrity is doing Serenade, Phelan is in Glass Pieces. Those are the roles Kowroski typically danced where others seem to have moved up. 

2 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

My mistake. Kikta is dancing Western Symphony, last movement. Gerrity is doing Serenade, Phelan is in Glass Pieces. Those are the roles Kowroski typically danced where others seem to have moved up. 

All the more reason to start promoting these dancers in rank, too!  Gerrity and Phelan have proven themselves ready to be named principals; Kikta has certainly proven herself ready for soloist ranking!

14 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Where is Roman Mejia? I was hoping he would do at least some of the Western Symphony performances, particularly after he and Teresa Reichlen lit the place on fire during the digital season. I hope he's not injured. 

He’s taking part in Fall for Dance so that must be why.

4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

He’s taking part in Fall for Dance so that must be why.

Thanks for the reminder! So Roman Mejia hasn't disappeared entirely. I wouldn't think dancing Ratmansky's Fandango Oct 23 in FFD would keep him out of the first few weeks of NYCB. Tiler Peck and Georgina Pazcoguin are in FFD and they're performing w NYCB. They should give Roman one of those Western Symphony performances! 

(I'm just ranting)

I'm really surprised the company hasn't sent some sort of "know before you go" email to ticketholders about what to expect in terms of safety protocols for tomorrow night (and upcoming performances). I agree with others that no intermissions feels like "safety theater." I haven't heard of any other NYC theaters/performing arts orgs who are doing the same. 

Having bathroom breaks is important. Intermissions also provide relief for those with disabilities (often invisible) that make it difficult to sit for long periods of time. I wonder if they'll make the pauses longer than usual to accommodate people's needs. 

6 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I'm really surprised the company hasn't sent some sort of "know before you go" email to ticketholders about what to expect in terms of safety protocols for tomorrow night (and upcoming performances). I agree with others that no intermissions feels like "safety theater." I haven't heard of any other NYC theaters/performing arts orgs who are doing the same. 

Having bathroom breaks is important. Intermissions also provide relief for those with disabilities (often invisible) that make it difficult to sit for long periods of time. I wonder if they'll make the pauses longer than usual to accommodate people's needs. 

I received the email below yesterday, but my tickets aren't until Oct 16 & 17.

HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOL FOR YOUR UPCOMING VISIT

In advance of your trip to Lincoln Center this fall, please be aware that the David H. Koch Theater and all of its lobby areas will open one hour prior to curtain. We strongly encourage an early arrival to avoid long entrance lines and to allow for plenty of time to use the restrooms as fall performances are being performed with pauses but no intermissions.

Every audience member attending NYCB repertory season performances must be fully vaccinated and will be required to show in-person proof of vaccination, authorized by the FDA or WHO against COVID-19, upon entering the Theater.

Proof includes:

• The free Health Pass by CLEAR to confirm identity, vaccination status, and/or negative test result. Download the free app to gain access to faster entry lanes when arriving for your performance and to avoid long lines. Please follow these detailed instructions on how to use the app.

• Physical/digital vaccination cards, NY State’s Excelsior Pass, or NYC COVID SAFE app (Apple) / NYC COVID SAFE app (Android) — all requiring an accompanying photo ID.

• A photo or hard copy of an official vaccination record for one of the following vaccines administered outside the United States: AstraZeneca/SK Bioscience, Serum Institute of India/COVISHIELD and Vaxzevria, Sinopharm, or Sinovac; along with a government-issued photo ID.

As a reminder, we will not be accepting proof of a negative COVID-19 test for entry.

In addition to our vaccination policy, as a tool to further try to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, NYCB will require proper mask usage. All staff and patrons in the Theater will be required to wear a mask covering both the nose and mouth at all times, except when eating or drinking, while in the David H. Koch Theater.

If you are not feeling well, or are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, please contact us at 212-496-0600 or email us at customercare@nycballet.com by noon on the day of your performance. We would be glad to assist you in rescheduling your tickets for another date, or provide a refund for your fall performance.

If you have specific concerns about our safety protocol, please contact our Customer Care team at 212-496-0600, where associates stand by to assist you Monday-Saturday from 12-7 PM and Sunday from 12-5 PM.

We look forward to seeing you at the Theater soon.

1 minute ago, Marta said:

I received the email below yesterday, but my tickets aren't until Oct 16 & 17.

HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOL FOR YOUR UPCOMING VISIT

In advance of your trip to Lincoln Center this fall, please be aware that the David H. Koch Theater and all of its lobby areas will open one hour prior to curtain. We strongly encourage an early arrival to avoid long entrance lines and to allow for plenty of time to use the restrooms as fall performances are being performed with pauses but no intermissions.

Every audience member attending NYCB repertory season performances must be fully vaccinated and will be required to show in-person proof of vaccination, authorized by the FDA or WHO against COVID-19, upon entering the Theater.

Proof includes:

• The free Health Pass by CLEAR to confirm identity, vaccination status, and/or negative test result. Download the free app to gain access to faster entry lanes when arriving for your performance and to avoid long lines. Please follow these detailed instructions on how to use the app.

• Physical/digital vaccination cards, NY State’s Excelsior Pass, or NYC COVID SAFE app (Apple) / NYC COVID SAFE app (Android) — all requiring an accompanying photo ID.

• A photo or hard copy of an official vaccination record for one of the following vaccines administered outside the United States: AstraZeneca/SK Bioscience, Serum Institute of India/COVISHIELD and Vaxzevria, Sinopharm, or Sinovac; along with a government-issued photo ID.

As a reminder, we will not be accepting proof of a negative COVID-19 test for entry.

In addition to our vaccination policy, as a tool to further try to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, NYCB will require proper mask usage. All staff and patrons in the Theater will be required to wear a mask covering both the nose and mouth at all times, except when eating or drinking, while in the David H. Koch Theater.

If you are not feeling well, or are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, please contact us at 212-496-0600 or email us at customercare@nycballet.com by noon on the day of your performance. We would be glad to assist you in rescheduling your tickets for another date, or provide a refund for your fall performance.

If you have specific concerns about our safety protocol, please contact our Customer Care team at 212-496-0600, where associates stand by to assist you Monday-Saturday from 12-7 PM and Sunday from 12-5 PM.

We look forward to seeing you at the Theater soon.

Thanks, Marta. I must have missed it or didn't get it.

There's been a little shuffling on the casting for week one and here's another change that's not listed on the official pdf yet:

OF9mClf.png

This is the current casting as listed: RUSSIAN SEASONS: Phelan, Pazcoguin, M. Fairchild, King, Segin, Anderson, *Danchig-Waring, *Sanz, *Grant (replaces Walker), *Alberda, *Villarini-Velez (replaces Coll), *Henson (replaces Hoxha) [Solo Violin: Nikkanen]

I

19 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Thanks, Marta. I must have missed it or didn't get it.

I find NYCB's policy on keeping us safe  to be rather disingenuous.  They continue to keep the third and fourth rings closed for most shows.  For those who would prefer to not sit cheek by jowl with other patrons during a  pandemic, they have effectively cut off the possibility that a ticket buyer can buy in a less crowded area of the theater.  They prefer herding everyone into certain areas of the theater.  Perhaps now is the time to re-think this approach.

Edited by abatt

The casting for week one has been updated and is on the website.

The casting for week two has vanished and instead a press release regarding the appointment of Diana Taylor to the Board appears in the link where the week 2 casting should be.

update - they realized the error and posted  the week 2 casting again.

Edited by abatt

I went to the opening night. It seemed historic and I'm glad I was there. They sold out all five rings. Lines to get in were divided with the NY Excelsior pass and Clear moving very fast. The others needed to show  another proof of vaccination and photo ID. They were selling beverages in the main area before the performance and plenty seemed to be buying. Impossible to distance! A private reception was held on the terrace off the 1st ring - presumably the big donors. People seemed quite obedient with masks throughout the performances, although it was dark.

The program started 15 minutes late, although the orchestra was seated right on time at 7:30. When the announcer came on to say "Welcome to the New York City Ballet," the audience broke out with clapping and cheers. When the curtain went up on Serenade, clapping and cheers so loud you couldn't hear the music for a time! 5 minute pauses. I didn't see people rushing to get out, although that was possible. Kowroski and la  Cour followed with After the Rain, a very appropriate rep choice. 

After the next 5 minute pause, Whelan and Stafford came out before the curtain to thank everybody. Then they said the orchestra had a surprise: a performance of Waltz of the Flowers from Nutcracker. That would not have been my first choice for an extra, if they felt they needed that, but okay. 

The finale was Symphony in C. As others have noted, it seemed odd to put this on the program, the only performance all year. But it was a chance to show us that many of our favorite principals are back and in good form: Fairchild-Gordon, Mearns-Angle, Woodward-Ball, King-Scordato. (We saw Bouder, Hyltin and LeCrone in Serenade.) At the end, loud cheers, as twinkle snow dropped from the ceiling. We left the theater in an unexpected rain storm. 

A detail perhaps others noticed: Angle looked like he had on a skullcap from Prodigal Son! Did he shave his head? Has it all turned light gray? Jarring.

I was not able to attend but heard from an audience member in orchestra that Angle had a shaved head. I think that's great. It's about time that a male principal with significantly thinning hair be able to present in a way that is maximally attractive, rather than having to mess around with prosthetics that look obviously artificial just to uphold an outdated danseur ideal.

I can't believe they're allowing an extended pre-performance period of maskless refreshments but no intermissions. That's ridiculous. What on earth is the rationale?

There any number of things that are ridiculous when it comes to masking...  I have children in school so... Let's just say I think the goal when it comes to mask rules is more about *feeling* relatively safe, than actually being safe.  But at the same time let's remember with the 100% vaccine rate in the theater, everyone actually is safe.  

Question: are the "pauses" enough time to use the restroom?

Edited by Balletwannabe

^ totally agree regarding masks. 

If I had to guess, they made the decision about no intermissions during the spring or summer, changed entire programs around that decision (such as taking out Slaughter and 10th Ave with its elaborate set), and after all of that, didn't want to walk back that decision even as it became clear that it was pointless. 

While I agree in theory that Angle should be allowed to appear with a shaved  head if that's his preference, I found it a little distracting.  Maybe I'll get used to it as the season  continues.  He also shaved his head for the Saratoga shows this summer.

It was a very special evening.  The first round of clapping actually began after the audience could hear the dancers clapping behind the curtain before the first ballet.  Every ballet received multiple curtain calls. 

I didn't realize they were selling food on the promenade.  Makes no sense from a health perspective, but it makes sense economically.  A vendor pays the theater for the rights to sell food.

I have to point out in particular that Joseph Gordon rocked the house with his stellar technique in the first movement of Symphony in C.

13 minutes ago, abatt said:

I have to point out in particular that Joseph Gordon rocked the house with his stellar technique in the first movement of Symphony in C.

Agree on Gordon! I really noticed him a few years ago when he did Coppelia with Bouder (still as a soloist) and at Vail in 2019. Very glad I got to see him again.

33 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Question: are the "pauses" enough time to use the restroom?

Yes, though as California has noted, they are only about five minutes. I did pop out during one intermission to use the restroom, and the ushers were being proactive about telling people how much longer was left in the pause. In a longer program, where more people might get up to use the restroom, I imagine they might extend the pause if needed. 

26 minutes ago, abatt said:

Yes, he was awesome! I also thought Lauren King was so, so lovely in the fourth movement. I loved her dancing.

I really felt for Meghan Fairchild, who has been documenting her struggles coming back from giving birth to twins (after contacting COVID during pregnancy, no less). She really struggled to get her leg up for just about any arabesque and seemed to have drastically reduced flexibility; she's described the physiological reasons for this on her Instagram. The first movement ballerina is such a great role, but it seemed like she was just muscling her way through it. But then when I saw how emotional she was during curtain calls, I felt so happy for her for what she accomplished.

I've only seen Reichlen and Kowroski in the second movement, so it was good to see Mearns, who seemed like her usual wonderful self. The role is a more perfect fit on Reichlen (and Kowroski, when it was still in her rep), but Mearns danced very well and it was great to see her light up the stage again, as she always does.

Edited by fondoffouettes

Last night's performance is one I won't soon forget. I was so happy to be there.

First, logistics: For people going, definitely download the clear app -- it was a snap and the clear/excelsior pass line was very quick. I didn't have any issues getting into the ladies' room right beforehand on the second ring. And you can get a glass of something or a snack, if you are so inclined.

The audience was really responsive, as you might imagine. They applauded throughout Serenade (sometimes at strange moments!); my favorite spontaneous applause was for the famous dark angel wing moment. Sterling looked wonderful as the waltz girl; Maria and Ask were so moving in After the Rain, and got absolutely rousing curtain calls.

Symphony in C was terrific and surprisingly crisp for coming out of mothballs. As mentioned Joe Gordon was *chefs kiss* in his variation, turning spectacularly. Megan Fairchild seemed a bit reserved at the beginning of the movement but really came out as she danced and had a great 1st movement moment in the 4th movement. Tyler Angle did shave his head! Good for him. I was really impressed by Harrison Ball and Indiana Woodward in 3rd movement. He came out with a huge leap with terrific ballon that got a reaction from the audience. The movement had that terrific forward attack that it needs. And as they say, the crowd went crazy at the end. It felt like a gift to NYC.