This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021 Season

6 hours ago, ECat said:

Gretchen Smith has always seemed like a special dancer to me, but she joined so many years ago that a promotion probably isn't in store for her. 

Wasn’t she a bit later than Pazcoguin and King?  There’s still hope!

17 hours ago, tutu said:

Wasn’t she a bit later than Pazcoguin and King?  There’s still hope!

Yes you are correct!  Thank you for pointing that out.  Lauren King joined the corps in 2004, Pazcoguin in 2003, and Smith in 2006!

13 minutes ago, ECat said:

Yes you are correct!  Thank you for pointing that out.  Lauren King joined the corps in 2004, Pazcoguin in 2003, and Smith in 2006!

Right, but it was over 8 years ago (Feb 2013) that King and Pazcoguin were promoted to soloist. 

On 8/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, nanushka said:

Right, but it was over 8 years ago (Feb 2013) that King and Pazcoguin were promoted to soloist. 

Where is the time going?  I swear I remember King’s promotion like it was yesterday.

I didn't get to see much of Abi Stafford's career at NYCB, but I remember one of the videos NYCB showed online in the last year, and I loved her in what I saw.  Having seen the part that was made for her by Ratmansky in Pictures at an Exhibition, I'm glad she is retiring in one of his works.

And best wishes to her in her future career :flowers:

On 8/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, maps said:

To principal: Laracey, Woodward. To soloist: Kitka [on roster in corps for 10 years], Miller, Hod, Mejia.  Farley-should have had a Peck deal.  And Nadon Vail Dance Festival (@vaildancefest) • Instagram photos and videos

Yes to Laracey and Indiana Woodward. 

I don't see her name mentioned on here often but I am totally enchanted my Laine Habony. I find her musicality and quality of movement very special. and her recent piece for Indiana Woodward and Harrison Coll (to be found on Instagram) was very special. 

Mira Nadon could do with a few more years in the corps. I would worry about promoting her this early. And I'm not sure about Hod.

7 minutes ago, Chballetfan said:

Mira Nadon could do with a few more years in the corps. I would worry about promoting her this early. And I'm not sure about Hod.

Chballetfan, I'm with you on this. No doubt Mira Nadon is extremely talented and has special qualities. But based on the last time I saw her (admittedly, 1.5y ago), she needs more time to gather command of her limbs and polish her skills.  And while Hod has a beautiful physical instrument, I don't find her especially compelling in other ways. She always seems like Ashley Hod, rather than transforming herself into some other character or creature. Besides, if they're going to promote Kikta (I hope!) and possibly Miller, two very tall women, then adding Hod would be too many tall women. 

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Chballetfan, I'm with you on this. No doubt Mira Nadon is extremely talented and has special qualities. But based on the last time I saw her (admittedly, 1.5y ago), she needs more time to gather command of her limbs and polish her skills.  And while Hod has a beautiful physical instrument, I don't find her especially compelling in other ways. She always seems like Ashley Hod, rather than transforming herself into some other character or creature. Besides, if they're going to promote Kikta (I hope!) and possibly Miller, two very tall women, then adding Hod would be too many tall women. 

Re: Nadon, im glad I'm not alone. She's obviously a very beautiful dancer and has a commanding presence already. however there are cautionary tales in terms of promoting early. Lauren lovette is who I'm thinking of but I'm sure there are others. 

I remember a few years back there was a huge fuss about Miriam Miller - rightly - and there were lots of noises made about promotion. I am glad that she has had more time to develop in the corps and I agree others that she would be worthy of promoting now. I think she was also cast early in neoclassical roles (Agon iirc) but I think the time she has been afforded have shown that she is very suited to classical work. I thought she was wonderful in Divertimento for example. She always seems to love being on stage as well which is infectious!

On 8/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, Chballetfan said:

I agree with this re Nadon, as others have stated, particularly because soloists have so much less time on stage than members of the corps. To my way of thinking Erica Pereira is a case of being promoted too soon. As an apprentice, she was cast as Juliet in spring of '07 and by Dec. '09 was a soloist. I think she would have benefited from a couple of years of dancing every show.

Just got tickets for the September 23rd production of the classic nycb I program.  So excited to see ballet live again and have never seen serenade which made me choose it.  Curious to see who is going to be cast.

Edited by GB1216
On 8/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, GB1216 said:

Just got tickets for the September 23rd production of the classic nycb I program.  So excited to see ballet live again and have never seen serenade which made me choose it.  Curious to see who is going to be cast.

Serenade is a gem, rightfully emblematic of the NYCB in my opinion. I always find it very beautiful and moving.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, GB1216 said:

So you must be seeing the Serenade, Glass Pieces and Pulcinella Variations program - now that is an interesting mix of very different ballets. Should be great. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to see top casts. Please let us know of your impressions.

Edited by pherank
4 hours ago, pherank said:

So you must be seeing the Serenade, Glass Pieces and Pulcinella Variations program - now that is an interesting mix of very different ballets. Should be great. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to see top casts. Please let us know of your impressions.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the programming for the first week, but there's rich meaning in these choices. Serenade is Balanchine's first US ballet, of course. Glass Pieces premiered two weeks after Balanchine's death in 1983 -- when many were saying "ballet is dead," Robbins showed it still had a great future. And Peck is the latest generation with serious contributions and a bright future. Ratmansky that week is a wonderful reminder that ballet is most definitely not dead. And Opus 19 - a Robbins piece made for Baryshnikov, who has recently coached this. Every piece chock full of wonderful memories and history.

Opening night also has special meaning. Serenade, of course. After the Rain has become a standard since it was made after 9/11 for commemorations of various kinds. And Symphony in C in its only performance of the season is just a joyous celebration of Balanchine's genius that never gets old. Wonderful choices. 

On 9/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, Balletwannabe said:

Only performers 12+; 12& under allowed in audience (Nutcracker only) with negative test.

Does anyone have a a sense of how many of the child dancers are typically under age 12? In other words, how much of an adjustment will this be? Surely some costumes will have to be adjusted. For me so much of the charm comes from the children, right down to the littlest ones in Mother Ginger. 

8 hours ago, cobweb said:

Does anyone have a a sense of how many of the child dancers are typically under age 12? In other words, how much of an adjustment will this be? Surely some costumes will have to be adjusted. For me so much of the charm comes from the children, right down to the littlest ones in Mother Ginger. 

Looking at the program, when you count up the Angels the  Polychinelles, the children at the party who also play mice and soldiers, I think there are two casts of 60 children under 12. It’s a shame for them but I don’t see how NYCB could do any different. And how great for the 12-year-olds!

there are probably a lot of children under the age of 12 at SAB that are small. If they cast them with the taller members of the company charm will be preserved and the company will comply with the New York State Executive order for dance studios and gyms (you must be vaccinated to enter). The governor took some of the decisions out of their hands. And rightfully so in my opinion.

In the OnPointe series they show one studio rehearsal with all 120 children, three sugarplum fairies and the whole female corps ballet, including apprentices. Everyone  dancing hard enough to lose their breath. You might wipe out a generation of ballet goers if the ventilation breaks. (Insert evil laugh). 
This year‘s Nutcracker will be very memorable. Usually it’s the same old, same old. Though it irks me to say anything positive about him, I loved it the year Peter Martins cast only corps de ballet dancers as the sugarplum fairy. Was it 18 debuts in one season?  The Nutcracker can use a gimmick every so often.