This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

When JLo started singing the first thought I had was, "Is she going to include the verses about trespassing and the relief office?" I was totally disappointed that the last verses of "This Land is Your Land" were omitted. I can't stand the mindset that recognition of a bad situation in your country equals hatred of it. I know the decision was probably made for reasons of time, but it would have been so much more effective to hear all of "This Land" instead of the attempt to hide the end by making it medley.

Lady Gaga has pipes. 

Other items on the day's menu okay, if predictable. "Hallelujah?" "Amazing Grace"? 

lmspear writes:

I was totally disappointed that the last verses of "This Land is Your Land" were omitted. I can't stand the mindset that recognition of a bad situation in your country equals hatred of it. 

It just makes my blood boil when that song is presented as feelgood patriotic pablum.

18 hours ago, dirac said:

Lady Gaga has pipes. 

Other items on the day's menu okay, if predictable. "Hallelujah?" "Amazing Grace"? 

lmspear writes:

It just makes my blood boil when that song is presented as feelgood patriotic pablum.

I don't think it is. At least I know that die-hard conservatives who hate that song.

19 hours ago, dirac said:

Lady Gaga has pipes. 

LG needs a conductor who can respond to her phrasing - the band had no swing, and just sounded plodding.

"Hallelujah" is just a weird choice - the chorus is spiritual/religious in theme, but the actual lyrics don't remind me of Americana or presidential inaugurations:

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Personally I've heard enough "Amazing Grace" for a long while.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:06 PM, lmspear said:

When JLo started singing the first thought I had was, "Is she going to include the verses about trespassing and the relief office?" I was totally disappointed that the last verses of "This Land is Your Land" were omitted. I can't stand the mindset that recognition of a bad situation in your country equals hatred of it. I know the decision was probably made for reasons of time, but it would have been so much more effective to hear all of "This Land" instead of the attempt to hide the end by making it medley.

I thought "This Land is Your Land" was an odd choice for JLo and doesn't really suit her in terms of style or content - but I totally teared up when she quoted from the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. That came from her heart. 

Amanda Gorman - she looks like a baby ballerina! I didn't care much for her poem itself (I'm not American) but her poise and presentation were incredible. Also see the generational change between her hairstyle and those of VP Harris and Michelle Obama.   

The original lyrics to "This Land is Your Land":

This land is your land, and this land is my land
From the California to the Staten New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf stream waters,
God blessed America for me.
[This land was made for you and me.]

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
And saw above me that endless skyway,
And saw below me the golden valley, I said:

I roamed and rambled and followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts,
And all around me, a voice was sounding:

Was a high wall there that tried to stop me
A sign was painted said: Private Property,
But on the back side it didn't say nothing —

When the sun come shining, then I was strolling
In wheat fields waving and dust clouds rolling;
The voice was chanting as the fog was lifting:

One bright sunny morning in the shadow of the steeple
By the Relief Office I saw my people —
As they stood hungry, I stood there wondering if

19 hours ago, pherank said:

LG needs a conductor who can respond to her phrasing - the band had no swing, and just sounded plodding.

"Hallelujah" is just a weird choice - the chorus is spiritual/religious in theme, but the actual lyrics don't remind me of Americana or presidential inaugurations:

Agreed on all counts. "Hallelujah" has taken on something of the status  of a secular hymn, and I'm guessing that's why it was chosen, even if it's mainly about sex. (You can just listen to the "hallelujah" part.) I think John Cale said that when he asked Cohen if he could cover the song, Cohen sent him enough pages of lyrics to fill the Sunday NYT, so there's a lot from which to pick and choose.

10 hours ago, Petra said:

I thought "This Land is Your Land" was an odd choice for JLo and doesn't really suit her in terms of style or content - but I totally teared up when she quoted from the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. That came from her heart. 

Amanda Gorman - she looks like a baby ballerina! I didn't care much for her poem itself (I'm not American) but her poise and presentation were incredible. Also see the generational change between her hairstyle and those of VP Harris and Michelle Obama.   

Signing on to this, as well. The poem didn't do much for me, but Gorman is plainly a talented kid. These inaugural poems tend not to show off their authors at their best anyway, and her enthusiasm was contagious, if I may use the word.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:53 PM, canbelto said:

Many good performances throughout the ceremony and the virtual concert tonight Lady Gaga's rendition of Star Spangled Banner has to stand out. One of the best renditions I've ever heard of this difficult song.

I agree completely.  I watched it several times. She was phenomenal both technically and expressively.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:28 PM, pherank said:

From the department of Inappropriate Contexts for Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah":  My local radio station has switched to an all-Christmas music format for the season and for the first time in my experience this song is part of the lineup. I guess nothing says Christmas like an ode to the orgasm by a Jewish guy.

59 minutes ago, dirac said:

From the department of Inappropriate Contexts for Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah":  My local radio station has switched to an all-Christmas music format for the season and for the first time in my experience this song is part of the lineup.

Maybe if you're very, very naughty Ms. Santa will tie you to a kitchen chair ...

😈

Interesting image.

The Bidens must really like this song, because it got trundled out again for this year's "In Performance at the White House" holiday special, performed this time by Andrea Bocelli and his.....9-year-old daughter mostly in Italian while the Bidens sat by smiling appreciatively and presumably uncomprehendingly.

Good news: This special is back!  Bad news: The Bidens' notion of acknowledging classical music during the hour was bringing in Bocelli and his son.