This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2021: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

On 5/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, volcanohunter said:

In case you missed the online premiere, William Forsythe's The Barre Project (Blake Works II), with Tiler Peck, Lex Ishimoto, Roman Mejia and Brooklyn Mack, is available on the Sadler's Wells site until May 16. Apologies in advance if anyone encounters a geo-block.

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2021/william-forsythe-and-cli-studios-the-barre-project/

Very worthwhile. I've never been a fan of WF's music choices - not really my idea of great dance music. One can count to it, I suppose, and so that's all that matters.

Blake Works II looks to be all about the ability to articulate the movements at breakneck speed without devolving into blurred and rounded forms.
We get still more of Tiler Peck's extraordinary precision, and aesthetic flexibility. And her incredible weightlessness. Each of the dancers do a pretty good job with this choreography, but only Peck manages to flit about like a hummingbird throughout.

I like the hand dance interludes. I'm not sure why there hasn't been more of that type of thing in the ballet world.

It was also good to hear about Forsythe's choreographic method/approach, and see him dancing some of his own steps. Although Tiler Peck does a better job of it.  😉 
And the rehearsal footage was fun: she who keeps the counts is master.

Just announced by the Joyce Theatre: a free stream of a new work by Ratmansky for Whiteside and Boylston, available May 17 for one month:

joyce-logo-gradient2.png
neo-jw-ib.jpeg

Photo by ioulex

The Joyce is delighted to bring together three of American Ballet Theatre’s biggest talents for the world premiere of Neo, an elegant and spirited duet. James Whiteside and Isabella Boylston take on their first post-quarantine collaboration with a world premiere work by American Ballet Theatre’s Artist-in-Residence Alexei Ratmansky.

Featuring live music by Sumie Kaneko and filmed live at The Joyce Theater, Neo begins its free 30-day streaming engagement on Monday, May 17 at 5pm ET. The piece will be accompanied by the latest installment of “Dancing Dialogues,” a Joyce panel discussion series, featuring Boylston, Kaneko, Ratmansky, and Whiteside. Moderated by Tony Award-winning director/choreographer and Joyce Theater Trustee Rob Ashford, they will delve into the creation of Neo.

Both programs can be enjoyed at joyce.org beginning on May 17 at 5pm ET.

Neo and “Dancing Dialogues” will be free to stream on-demand from May 17 at 5pm ET through Wednesday, June 16 at 11:59pm ET.