This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2021: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

National Ballet of Japan’s documentary “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King-Behind the scenes” a 78 min long video is available for free, with English subtitles. 
Foreword from Miyako Yoshida, interviews, rehearsals and backstage footage, documentary of how the company managed to have 9 performances of Nutcracker under the Covid-19 pandemic. 

https://vimeo.com/503423287

The National Ballet of Canada in excerpts from John Neumeier's A Streetcar Named Desire (with Sonia Rodriguez, Evan McKie, Skylar Campbell and Francesco Gabriele Frola), The Seagull (with Rodriguez and Guillaume Côté) and Nijinsky (with Côté, Heather Ogden and Keiichi Hirano)

Edited by volcanohunter

National Ballet of Ukraine (Kyiv Ballet) The Snow Queen full performance is available. 

Gerda:Tetiana Lozova

Kai:Mykyta Sukhorukov

The Snow Queen:Olga Skrypchenko

Mistress of the magical garden:Liudmyla Melnyk

Magic kingdom Crow:Olga Kifyak

Raven:Dmytro Chebotar

Princess:Oksana Sira

Prince:Andrii Gavryshkiv

Bandit:Kateryna Didenko Vitalii Netrunenko

Conductor:Oleksii Baklan

National Opera Theatre of Ukraine Orchestra

Ballet Chicago's Virtual Spring Season, February 27 - March 28, 2021

Ballet Chicago, a fine local school run by Daniel Duell, who danced in Balanchine's NYCB, and his wife, Patricia Blair, who danced in the Eglevsky Ballet on Long Island when Edward Villella was "Artistic Advisor," has put together seven programs, compiled from their archive videos, going as far back as 1998, I believe.  One program, observing Black History month, is already underway:  The programs are available on Zoom and YouTube, starting on a weekend and running through the following week.  Some look a little short, about 30-45 minutes.

Here's a special link to that first program, where Duell's own Ellington Suite begins at 24:54, and which is supposed to be on YouTube until 7 PM Friday March 5:

Here's a link to their February Newsletter, with details about halfway down the page, including buttons to click to take you to the video or to contribute, which is optional.  Note that you can watch the videos for nothing, although, ballet school that they are, they do ask for donations, like, $20 per show.  Good ballet school that they are, they're to my taste in ballet, even in their "house-made" dances, because I like to see what I hear, and they're seriously pre-professional about their training; I wouldn't bother with them myself otherwise:

And some of the repertory is of the best, in my opinion:  Note that the second program consists of two Balanchine ballets, Concerto Barocco, to Bach's "Concerto for Two Violins" and Divertimento No.15, to (most of) Mozart's Divertimento in Bb for Horn and Strings, K. 287; the third one concludes with Act III, the Wedding Celebration, of his Coppelia ballet; the sixth one concludes with (most of) his Gershwin ballet, Who Cares?, and the seventh with his half-hour distillation, based mostly on the original Acts II and IV, of Swan Lake.  (These performances by the Ballet Chicago Studio Company meet the standards of the Balanchine Trust and are presented with their permission.)

The more "in house" programs four, five and six have some narrative dances by Artistic Director Dan Duell, Hansel and Gretel, and B.C.'s Resident Choreographer Ted Seymour; in program five Seymour uses much of Beethoven's music for "The Creatures of Prometheus," rarely choreographed, with another ballet to Ravel's homage to an older composer, "Le Tombeau de Couperin".

The quality of the video is bound to vary from piece to piece, reflecting Ballet Chicago's tight budget and our times, but I hope you find enough to enjoy.
Edited by Jack Reed