This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2021: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

On 6/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, Buddy said:

Yes, Roberta, it was really nice to see live dance again. The announcer said that it's the first performance at the Center in fourteen months...

On 6/7/2021 at 7:18 AM, Roberta said:

...I'm so grateful for the opportunity of seeing these ten wonderful ABT dancers perform live...

I loved it.  ABT with 5 pdds live filmed close-up was quite courageous.  No go backs, retakes, or selecting shows from it's house digital vault.  Big thanks to LA Music Center and ABT.  The dancers were marvelous.  The website - no DQ and then magically video+audio appeared during Swan Lake. 

The camera work was similar to the live broadcasts from NYC of  CBS's The Ed Sullivan Show which sometimes included  extreme facial closeups like the ABT LA R&J kiss.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_4kWnC-JU&ab_channel=TheEdSullivanShow

Edited by maps

1 hour ago, maps said:

I loved it.  ABT with 5 pdds live filmed close-up was quite courageous.  No go backs, retakes, or selecting shows from it's house digital vault.  Big thanks to LA Music Center and ABT.  The dancers were marvelous.  The website - no DQ and then magically video+audio appeared during Swan Lake. 

The camera work was similar to the live broadcasts from NYC of  CBS's The Ed Sullivan Show which sometimes included  extreme facial closeups like the ABT LA R&J kiss.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_4kWnC-JU&ab_channel=TheEdSullivanShow

I loved it, too -- ballet comfort food with just a little contemporary work with Bell and Hurlin.

The camera work reminded me of the hideous German recordings long ago of Balanchine, which he reportedly hated. But that point in Vienna Waltzes that we all missed shows that camera work still has room for improvement after all these years!

Edited by California

San Francisco Ballet School has posted their virtual end of year performance. From their Facebook:

The 2021 Virtual Festival celebrates the resiliency of the San Francisco Ballet School community who kept dancing during the pandemic. The program showcases the student body, from Level 1 to the pre-professional Trainees. School Faculty members share how they adapted to teaching ballet virtually. And three newly captured ballets, including two world premieres, anchor the evening. We’re offering our community the chance to watch the full program for free, or with a suggested $29 donation, from June 18–24. Sign up to get the link in your inbox here → https://bit.ly/2ThB6Bh #balletinbloom #sfballetschool

This summer, Jacob's Pillow has very limited capacity on site, but they are also offering streaming for their programs and also for some programs from other locations. The streams are free, but there is a fee  (as far as I can tell, you can add several different streams to your shopping cart but the fee stays the same, so the more streams you decide the see, the cheaper per stream). You do need to sign up in advance. 

Dates and times (* indicates ballet program):

* July 1, 7:30 pm, Crystal Pite's Body and Soul, Paris Opera Ballet (this streams from the POB)

July 8, 7:30 pm, Nrityagram (Indian classical dance), streaming from Bangalore

July 15, 7:30 pm, Dorrance Dance--(I recommend, especially for anyone who hasn't seen her work before or only her ABT works--I'd love to see this myself, but will be at SPAC for NYCB).

July 17, 3:30 pm, Eastern Woodland Dance (local indigenous dancers)

July 22, 7:30 pm, Contra Tiempo

July 29, 7:30 pm, Ballet Hispanico

August 4, 7:30 pm, Brian Brooks/Moving Company

August 19, 7:30 pm, Dallas Black Dance Theater

August 26, 7:30 pm, La Tasha Barnes Presents the Jazz Continuum

September 2, 7:30 pm, STREB

*September 9, 7:30 pm, Ballet Coast to Coast, features Boston Ballet, Houston Ballet, and PNB performing separately and together

Note that the Pillow has other streaming programs available, including PillowTalks, family programs, and school performances (and I make no guarantees that I didn't miss any of the main performances). https://www.jacobspillow.org

Also, through tonight at 7 pm, they are streaming their Global Pillow gala featuring Black Grace (New Zealand), Candoco Dance Company (United Kingdom), Companhia Urbana de Dança (Brazil), Germaine Acogny (Senegal), Hong Kong Ballet (Hong Kong), Nederlands Dans Theater(Netherlands), Nrityagram Dance Ensemble (India), Paris Opera Ballet (France), and others.  Global Pillow also features Dormeshia, the recipient of the 2021 Jacob’s Pillow Dance Award, who premieres a new work. https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/global-pillow/

Not sure if these belong in a thread on free streaming during Covid-19, but they're something to watch until the theaters open back up.

The English National Ballet has begun posting some #SlowTV videos to its YouTube Channel. 

The first is a 31 minute video on pointe shoe preparation: "Watch Amber Hunt, Artist of English National Ballet, go through the task and ritual of preparing her pointe shoes for rehearsals and performances."

The second is a 40 minute video on making a tutu: "Watch Federica Romano, Costumier at English National Ballet, make a 10-layer pancake tutu base. Filmed over the course of 3 days, the 40-min Slow TV film shows all the intricate work that goes into making a tutu."

ETA: I will confess to scrubbing through both videos, stopping here and there to focus in on particular points of interest. 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

On 6/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, FPF said:

This summer, Jacob's Pillow has very limited capacity on site, but they are also offering streaming for their programs and also for some programs from other locations. The streams are free, but there is a fee  (as far as I can tell, you can add several different streams to your shopping cart but the fee stays the same, so the more streams you decide the see, the cheaper per stream). You do need to sign up in advance. 

Dates and times (* indicates ballet program):

* July 1, 7:30 pm, Crystal Pite's Body and Soul, Paris Opera Ballet (this streams from the POB)

Anyone seeing something of interest on this list posted above might well pay closer attention than I did - the first item, Pite’s Body and Soul, originally announced as  available through July 15, has already been taken down a day or two early.  (The 2017 conversation with Pite and rehearsal excerpts, streamed from the Royal Opera House, remains available on YouTube, along with many short fragments apparently from the POB video scattered about that site.)  

Edited by Jack Reed

14 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

the first item, Pite’s Body and Soul, originally announced as  available through July 15, has already been taken down a day or two early. 

Body and Soul is still available for viewing here on the Jacob's Pillow website—I just paid my $15 fee and logged into the stream. 

I believe that the little note on the bottom of the page that reads "Event Dates: Oh no! You missed this one! Check our calendar for future events" refers to the live performance, not the stream.

ETA: Go to this page to see all of the online offerings. Quite a few of them are free.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

It certainly is still available!  Thank you for straightening me out, Kathleen. 

This stream, like the two companion streams on the Pillow website offering background, also has the advantage for some of us of subtitles in English or French, which the YouTube fragments I checked do not.  

Edited by Jack Reed

A new Chinese documentary on Yuan Yuan Tan (filmed during the quarantine) with curious subtitles and some audio in English:

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE4NjE0MzQyMA==.html?spm=a2h0c.8166622.PhoneSokuProgramSeries_2.dposter_1&s=adfbaa0c12dc44ee8552

I believe this is part of a larger series on Chinese artists and musicians. It does look to be pay-for-view once the viewer gets a certain distance into the documentary, so sorry about that.

Edited by pherank

SF Ballet's "Sequentia" video has been expanded to include Boston Ballet dancers now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZ6Ip3hR4Q

"SF Ballet's first collaborative quarantine project was Sequentia, in which each dancer’s ending pose becomes the next dancer’s starting pose. Boston Ballet now brilliantly completes the chain of this choreographic chain letter, which also fanned out (note the beginning and ending pose of the film!) to New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, and Pacific Northwest Ballet.

Thanks to all the dancers and companies who participated—we so look forward to seeing all of you on stage soon. ❤️

Thanks to Reference Recordings. Sequentia is inspired by the films of Mitchell Rose. PNB’s contribution was choreographed by Leah Terada and Miles Pertl and danced to Evan Williams’s Breathe, performed by Patchwork (www.evanwilliamsmusic.info/www.patchworkduo.com) with Noa Even on the saxophone, Stephen Klunk on the drum set and Brent Hauer audio engineer."

On 7/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, pherank said:

A new Chinese documentary on Yuan Yuan Tan (filmed during the quarantine) with curious subtitles and some audio in English:

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE4NjE0MzQyMA==.html?spm=a2h0c.8166622.PhoneSokuProgramSeries_2.dposter_1&s=adfbaa0c12dc44ee8552

I believe this is part of a larger series on Chinese artists and musicians. It does look to be pay-for-view once the viewer gets a certain distance into the documentary, so sorry about that.

full video on YouTube

Perm Opera Theatre has started an online streaming platform based on Vimeo with some of their opera and ballet contents could be streamed at a low price of about a little more than a dollar for a week.  

https://online.permopera.ru/

Swan Lake, Nutcracker are among their offerings and they are fabulous productions. 

and on November 3rd and 4th, with the NIGHT OF ARTS campaign in Russia, you can watch them for free with the promo code ARTNIGHT, this Tweet says.

Troy Schumacher's company Ballet Collective has posted the livestream of its 10th year anniversary performance at Bohemian Hall. The performance features choreography by Schumacher, 14 dancers from NYCB and the Martha Graham company, and live music performed by The Knights. 

PROGRAM

Natural History
the first ballet created and performed live in the US during the pandemic, inspired by poems from Carey McHugh with music by Ellis Ludwig-Leone

Faraway (duet)
from our collaboration with climate artist Zaria Forman and composer Judd Greenstein

All That We See
painter David Salle presented Troy Schumacher and composer Ellis Ludwig-Leone a series of mysterious croppings from a large work-in-progress

PERFORMERS

Dancers: Devin Alberda, Daniel Applebaum, Harrison Coll, Jovani Furlan, Emilie Gerrity, Anthony Huxley, Lauren King, Claire Kretzschmar, Ashley Laracey, Mary Thomas MacKinnon, Mira Nadon, Lorenzo Pagano, Davide Riccardo, and Leslie Andrea Williams.

Live Music from: Members of The Knights with Special Guests