Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Helgi Tomasson to step down by 2022


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

Simone Messmer should be in the running. (KIDDING.)

Hah!  :)
 

48 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Too young.  Doing just fine in Germany, thank you.

Well that wouldn't be the only issue, but I'm glad that she may have found a environment that works for her.

Link to comment

Gotta say, I love the idea of Sofiane as AD. She seems to check off all the boxes (I don't think she's a big schmoozer (sp?), but she has glamourous name recognition) plus she doesn't seem to be buddy-buddy with a bunch of the current dancers, which I think would be key for a new AD (from IG, Gonzalo and a few others are still close friends with current dancers on the roster, which could present potential conflicts of interest). Considering that, I'd have former principal dancer and choreographer Parrish Maynard (ballet master at Kansas City Ballet) on my list. Any thoughts on Larissa Ponomarenko, who is currently on faculty with the school?

 

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

Gotta say, I love the idea of Sofiane as AD. She seems to check off all the boxes (I don't think she's a big schmoozer (sp?), but she has glamourous name recognition) plus she doesn't seem to be buddy-buddy with a bunch of the current dancers, which I think would be key for a new AD (from IG, Gonzalo and a few others are still close friends with current dancers on the roster, which could present potential conflicts of interest). Considering that, I'd have former principal dancer and choreographer Parrish Maynard (ballet master at Kansas City Ballet) on my list. Any thoughts on Larissa Ponomarenko, who is currently on faculty with the school?

Ponomarenko seems to love teaching (and is loved by her students - Misa Kuranaga having been one of them). She's very much an outsider when it comes to the SFB repertoire. While she may have danced many of the same classical roles that SFB principals dance, I don't know if she's familiar with the same contemporary roles. I've only heard her speak a few times so I can't say if she seems to have the temperament for running a company. Does anyone else know much about her personality?

I imagine that part of the interview process involves the applicant devising a repertoire for one or two seasons and essentially defending their choices:

How do these particular ballets fit with the capabilities of the company?
How do these choices appeal to the existing audience, and how do they grow the audience?
Is the applicant looking to reinforce existing relationships with choreographers or looking to work with a new set of choreographers?
How would you go about bringing in new choreographers? Who would you work with and why?

That sort of thing...

Re: Parrish Maynard - Miliosr had mentioned Ashley Wheater as well, so they can be added on to this list.

Link to comment

Sofiane Sylve was my immediate thought when I heard Tomasson was stepping down, and this thread has only dialed up my enthusiasm! 

Does anyone know what Muriel Maffre has been doing since she left LINES? 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Syzygy said:

Does anyone know what Muriel Maffre has been doing since she left LINES? 

Back when I made my search I didn't turn up any scraps of info, other than (I think) she returned to France. And of course many people are in quarantine these days.

Link to comment

I'm still thinking about how Sofiane would (at least in my imagination) be a wonderful AD. What about Edwaard Liang? He's been getting experience leading BalletMet, he's choreographed for SFB and many other companies, former NYCB dancer, doesn't have "history" from being in the company with the current set of dancers (so perhaps less conflict of interest than some of the others), and I believe he's a Bay Area native. 

Link to comment
On 3/3/2021 at 10:51 AM, PeggyTulle said:

I'm still thinking about how Sofiane would (at least in my imagination) be a wonderful AD. What about Edwaard Liang? He's been getting experience leading BalletMet, he's choreographed for SFB and many other companies, former NYCB dancer, doesn't have "history" from being in the company with the current set of dancers (so perhaps less conflict of interest than some of the others), and I believe he's a Bay Area native. 

Yes of course, I can't believe I forgot all about Liang, but then that's probably due to his very calm and quiet demeanor.

Sofiane Sylve
Val Caniparoli
Christopher Stowell
Gennadi Nedvigin
Ricardo Bustamante
James Sofranko
Patrick Armand
Felipe Diaz
Edwaard Liang

Christopher Wheeldon
Gonzalo Garcia
Yuan Yuan Tan
Yuri Possokhov
Vanessa Zahorian
Davit Karapetyan
Tiit Helimets
Sarah Van Patten
Ulrik Birkkjaer

Alonzo King
Dwight Rhoden
Benjamin Millepied

Lorena Feijóo
Rubén Martín Cintas
Evelyn Cisneros
Damian Smith
Parrish Maynard
Ashley Wheater

Edited by pherank
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Josette said:

Add Ricardo Bustamante to the list.  He is a brilliant coach and ballet master, has staged ballets around the globe, and been director of two ballet companies.  

 

Thanks, Josette - I'm not sure why I missed RB. Anyway, I updated the list above.

Link to comment

Some of my recent postings have made me aware of a couple more potential directors:

Sarah Van Patten and Ulrik Birkkjaer. Now that both dancers have gotten involved in stage project management, fund raising, school creation/organization, etc. - I'm updating the list above with their names.

Link to comment
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...